Right, simple question so I'm sure there will be a simple answer, I'm looking to pick up an Orange tiny terror and would like to use a cab I already have, however the speaker is a 50w 4Ohm Celestion speaker and from all accounts the TT will only output at 8Ohm minimum, now I understand that this lower impedance rating will mean that there will be more strain put on the amp as double the ammount of juice will flow to it being as its got half the rated resistance (which is where the amp will struggle, potentially causing damage).

My questions being...

1) What effects could there be of running the amp (max output of 15w) paired with a 50w 4Ohm speaker?

2) I know adding a 4Ohm resistor in series would meet the required minimum impedance rating for the amp but what effects would this have on the sound?

Muchos gracias fellas
Running a higher impedance head into a lower impedance cab IS NOT SAFE, especially since you've got a tube amp. It's much better to mismatch in the other direction (an 4 ohm head with an 8 ohm load).

Yeah.
Personally, I wouldn't operate a Tiny Terror with less than a 16 ohm load.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Personally, I wouldn't operate a Tiny Terror with less than a 16 ohm load.

why is that?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
why is that?

It's designed for 16 ohms. The two 8 ohm inputs are actually to plug in two 16 ohm cabs in parallel for a total of 8 ohms (I'm pretty sure, anyway). I know they say you can plug in one 8 ohm cab, but for a rather expensive 15W head, I'd make sure I got the right speaker.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for that, I'll replace the speaker with a higher rated version.

Ta