Well I'm looking at the Epiphone Specials and they seem to be just what I want, but how good are they? They are cheap, but are they really worth it?
They're ****ing terrible.

Epiphone is a brilliant brand and many of their guitars, specifically the Elite series, are almost or just as good as Gibsons.

But holy **** don't even touch a Special, I hear its so bad it actually gives you AIDS. Fact.
Haha, alright. Well I'm on a tight budget. I'm been pretty much hooked on getting an Epi, any suggestions? My budget is 350$ max.
Quote by elekguit
Haha, alright. Well I'm on a tight budget. I'm been pretty much hooked on getting an Epi, any suggestions? My budget is 350$ max.

If you can shell out just a few more dollars I recommend getting a Epi Les Paul standard. They're great guitars, very well made for their price and they sound great too.

EDIT: The studios are also not bad.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Sep 2, 2007,
I was just looking at the LP Standards on Musicians Friend. Is there a reason why the black ones are 400$ and the others 500$?
Black is easier to paint?

Look for B-stock standards. They're generally just normal standards with a dent/stratch/paint mess up.
Quote by elekguit

Why not the Epiphone Les Paul studio?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=518351

Or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 2, 2007,
Quote by elekguit
I was just looking at the LP Standards on Musicians Friend. Is there a reason why the black ones are 400$ and the others 500$?

The black ones don't have a finish.

Also, heres a great guitar for $300 if you don't mind the color.

Epiphone Guitar
Chris Redfield Of The Resident Evil Club
Quote by elekguit
Are the Epi SG's just as good? Or is it better to get an LP?

The SG's seem great especially for the price.

Play both and see which one you like more.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Quote by zeppelinpage4

Play both and see which one you like more.

This is the truth.

The guitar picks to guitarist. That cant happen over the internet. Head to a guitar store and wander around until something calls out to you.
Quote by elekguit
What one would be better overall? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-LP100-Electric-Guitar?sku=518661
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
Or the LP Standard if I could get it cheap. But whats the best out of those 2?

The G-400, set neck mahogany body. I'd go with that...

But you seem to want a Les Paul so just wait a little and get the standard.

Thanks guys. Now to find somewhere that has Epi's in. The main music shop here is only Ibanez, BC Rich, & Peavey.
I'm asking around about the Agile now. When I find out more about it, I'll consider it much more.
Quote by elekguit
What one would be better overall? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-LP100-Electric-Guitar?sku=518661
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
Or the LP Standard if I could get it cheap. But whats the best out of those 2?
G400 is WAY better.
I'd suggest the G-400, although I could be biased, I pretty much <3 mine.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
you probably need an amp dont you?

id suggest getting a 150$ or so guitar... and a vox ad30 or roland cube thirty (if you are for sure into metal, and not so much other stuff) with the other two hundred or so

and the epiphone sg special is decent for the price, with proper set up, its a fantastic starting electric
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
whatever you do, don't buy anything without trying it first. and don't just try one and think, "well it's ok, i'll guess i'll buy it" always just try everything in your price-range. if you really really luv something, it's worth your money. you should go to guitarcenter and play everything...
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Look, here's something for all n00b guitarists to chew on...

When Gibson labels a guitar as "special", they mean "special" in the same way some kids are "special". I'm not being mean towards "special" people, and I encourage you to be nice to them, but I will advise you to stay completely away from "special" guitars.

Now, when it's EPIPHONE "special", you know that the guitar in question does not deserve to be in existence.

[/rant]

Anyways, I'd spring for either the G-400 (SG based) or the Les Paul Standard or Studio.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
^amp is more important... no one ever seemed to question whether he had one... with a decent amp even a starting guitar will sound good
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
with a decent amp even a starting guitar will sound good
Take an Epiphone LP PeeWee from their starter pack. Plug it into a big vintage Marshall stack. Notice how it sounds god-awful.
^touche

but from personal experiance the specials are playable and sound decent... i'd however look into washburn for the budget
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

My plan is to get an Epiphone G-400 SG & Vox Valvetronix AD15VT... that seems pretty good to me. I've tried the G-400 before, it sounded damn good.
^ well if you can get both of those things then more power to you.,.. i assumed 350 was your budget for both
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Nope, thats what I paid for my first set and it was a HUGE mistake. I want something that will last me, and this seems to be it until I get good enough to make a commitment to a high end Gibson (yes I'm a big Gibson fan).
^well hopefully all goes well ...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar