Hey,

I'm a fan of feedback and I love to use it as often as possible so I'm pretty aware of what it takes...or should take, to get a guitar into feedback and what it should sound like. But I've done a couple of gigs with my MiJ Telecaster and have noticed it really tends to go into a stupidly high pitched feedback really easily, at not even very high volumes.

It got me thinking, what's the cause? It does it on both pickups, so it's not just that one is simply microphonic, unless they both are. What could be the cause? Could it just be that it's a very trebly sounding guitar, combined with my high mids/treble settings causes a high pitched feedback?

I tried my GRG tonight during the gig and the feedback felt as controlled as I'd like.

Also, no I don't have the gain that high. The only time the gain is substantial is during solo's when Mr Tubescreamer comes out to play. I can contain the feedback when I'm playing but as soon as I stop, it's hello Mr Icepick-to-the-ear.

Suggestions?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Hmm, I was thinking that. Thing is, as it's a Tele, only one of them is under a metal plate and thus prone to the issue of feedback from no waxpotting.

Edit: Oh and yes, the pickups are some of the nicest I've EVER heard. Hense my reluctance to just change them out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
Hey,

I'm a fan of feedback and I love to use it as often as possible so I'm pretty aware of what it takes...or should take, to get a guitar into feedback and what it should sound like. But I've done a couple of gigs with my MiJ Telecaster and have noticed it really tends to go into a stupidly high pitched feedback really easily, at not even very high volumes.

It got me thinking, what's the cause? It does it on both pickups, so it's not just that one is simply microphonic, unless they both are. What could be the cause? Could it just be that it's a very trebly sounding guitar, combined with my high mids/treble settings causes a high pitched feedback?

I tried my GRG tonight during the gig and the feedback felt as controlled as I'd like.

Also, no I don't have the gain that high. The only time the gain is substantial is during solo's when Mr Tubescreamer comes out to play. I can contain the feedback when I'm playing but as soon as I stop, it's hello Mr Icepick-to-the-ear.

Suggestions?

I have this problem a lot, but we mic up our amps and we have to play around with the controls on our PA everytime we change amp settings or effects. I'm going to go with microphonic pickups, if it's not a problem when you play. Maybe look into acquiring a noise gate?
ok im kind of a noob at guitar, and i wanna know something.

how do you guys get feedback when you guys want to? do you just touch a part of a guitar or something?
Quote by jaypooner

how do you guys get feedback when you guys want to? do you just touch a part of a guitar or something?

Quite alot of volume, alot of gain and plenty of mids/treble and it's really easy to usher in feedback.

Hmmm, I'm really confused about it now. I think I'm going to wait till my Orange is returned from repair, so I'm dealing with an amp I'm familiar with then see what it is. It might simply be that my high treble/mids aren't suitable for such a trebly, biting guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by jaypooner

next time youre alone at a decent hour say 4 - 7pm crank your amp up and stand in front of it let the strings ring open and you should ge feedback move about and the pitch should change. listen to a live version of Gary Moore playing "Parisienne Walkways" that has the most amazingly godly feedback in it
my band Crimson Angel

PM me if you're interested in drumming for us
The Japanese pickups are supposedly prone to becoming microphonic so I'd say it's probably gonna be that.

Looks like you're gonna have to upgrade them to a nice set of SDs or BKP >.>

You can probably get them repaired if you like them.
I hate to say this but maybe a shield job and get a pedal that will get that sound that you want
Check and see if its shielded. The Japanese pickups are indeed prone to feedback, a lot of players change them. I have an MIJ Strat with the same problem. I'm going to invest in a shielding kit first, because I like the stock pickups. If that doesn't make it more managable I may be forced to change pickups (hate to do it.)
Quote by Kurapica
Quite alot of volume, alot of gain and plenty of mids/treble and it's really easy to usher in feedback.

Hmmm, I'm really confused about it now. I think I'm going to wait till my Orange is returned from repair, so I'm dealing with an amp I'm familiar with then see what it is. It might simply be that my high treble/mids aren't suitable for such a trebly, biting guitar.

it may just be the temporary amp... but id take the pick gaurd off and invest in some copper tape if there isnt any there... same for bridge
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by TheDev01dOne
The Japanese pickups are supposedly prone to becoming microphonic so I'd say it's probably gonna be that.

Looks like you're gonna have to upgrade them to a nice set of SDs or BKP >.>

You can probably get them repaired if you like them.

Hmm, they are? I read an article today saying that high pitched whistles are something commonly ailing alot of T-based guitars. So apparently it's not rare.

Quote by gagnerants
I hate to say this but maybe a shield job and get a pedal that will get that sound that you want

I've already got the tone I want. I seldom use pedals apart from solo's, when I kick in my Tubescreamer.

But yeah, I think I'm going to wait till my Orange is back and spend some time with the settings. It might just be, like I say, that the settings I use don't lend themselves particularly well to this Tele. I'll have to play around before making any decisions.

I do need a nut for it though, any suggestions?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Graphtech nut if you need a new one. I'd shellac pot both the pickups, like in the GB&A tutorial. It's meant to work wonders...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Alright cheers MrCarrot, I'll look into doing the potting

You know any good places to get the nut? All my search seems to bring back are american sites >.<
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Nope - I can't seem to find them in the UK either. Your best bet would be to try and order them into a guitar store.
Yeah, shame man. I've decided that I'm going to change the nut first and see if that affects some of the issues I've had with the E string popping out during live shows, if not, I'm going to change the bridge too. Gonna keep all the original stuff though.

I'm trying to hunt down some of that stuff for the potting but can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that does it haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Hmm wasn't it CorduroyEW who made the shellac tutorial? Maybe drop him an email or PM to find out where to get the Shellac.

Try and keep all the original parts if you can for sure
Quote by MrCarrot
Hmm wasn't it CorduroyEW who made the shellac tutorial? Maybe drop him an email or PM to find out where to get the Shellac.

Try and keep all the original parts if you can for sure

Yeah I'll ask him where he got his from

Yeah, I've got a little box full of original pickups, straplocks etc. Just in case like
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

before replacing the pickups, i suggest you shield the cavity if it isn't already (there's not much space in there, so it's a pretty easy job, also note: make SURE the CU/AL shielding is connected to the grounding point) and eliminate ground loops. by that i mean make sure all the grounding connections are at a single point (like on the back of one pot). you should definately be able to tell if your bridge isn't ground, but check that too.
You could just work with it. Roy Buchanan's 'Nancy' '53 Tele had microphonic pickups. People trying to copy his tone even make their's microphonic to try sound like him.

Fr the nut just go to like the nearest guitar shop and they'll know someone who can do it for you. It's pretty cheap, my Squier only cost $50 to get changed to a tusq nut.