any body ever make their own slides for the electric?
just wondering,
i want to make one and im making it out of a chrome plated steel, its probably cheaper to just buy one out of glass, but i want something personal, blue or black chrome, for those slippery zeppelin, clapton, and srv songs, any body got some ideas?
i helped sum freinds make sum in my manufacturing class last year.... we uses a copper pipe (like what would b used to plumbing), cut off saw and wire brush and polished the thing for a few days so that it was perfect....

i bought my own brass slide and love it many many times more than there slides.... they sound alright.. but dont feel right

u can try it if u want
Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin corpse

I wouldn't do that if I were you. The slides must be perfectly made to get sound when playing.
Different materials change the tone. That's why you can get glass, brass, nickel, steel etc.

I dunno how you would go about making a steel one. Just go to a hardware place and find a bit of tubing the right size and get a bit cut?

I'm not 100% sure but I think, seems to be logical in my head, diferent thicknesses of whatever material will also change the tone a but but will feel a lot different aswell.

I guess just experiment until you find something that works best for you. Maybe try going to some kind of metalworking shop or something and ask if they have any offcuts you can search through for suitable pieces?
I wouldn't do that if I were you. The slides must be perfectly made to get sound when playing.

clearly not if our slides soudn jsut he same as a store bought one... they jsut dont feel liek they are supposed to...

u can make a slide out of near anything.. iv used a knife on occasion
Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin corpse

Ever heard of bottleneck slides?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Ever heard of bottleneck slides?

Yeah, me and my brother have heated up bottles and knocked the body off the neck, then you just smooth down the edge to make it safe.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
my dunlop chrome/ nickel what ever it is slide seems to disengage my pick up (found this out while trying to "bow " my guitar with it) ... so id recommend glass
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
There is a member of UG that sells homemade slides.

I'm not much of a slide kinda guy so I didn't bookmark his name or anything but he makes his out of glass bottles and sells them for about $8
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by forsaknazrael

Hi!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by forsaknazrael

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i make my own slides out of bottle necks. its fairly simple if you are careful and can be dangerous if you are not.

if you want a metal slide and want to make it, i suggest going to a hardware store where they sell lenghts of pipe. they should have different sizes so just kinda poke around and see what you want. they probably mostly have copper (cause its used a lot in plumbing) but they may have other metals as well so just look around. then when you find what you want, buy a bit of it and take it home. there you can carefully cut it with a saw then sand it to remove the burrs.
any way, yea, my old mans a valve technician and he works in a machine shop, so im basically getting it custom fit too, and perfectly cut but tell me more about these bottle slides...how do you do it exactly?
also, what was that guy saying about chrome throwin off his pick ups?
^lol. did cord ship out ur pickup yet?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I made my own glass slide. I went through my recycling bin and found a bottle that fit my pinky well. Then, I put it in a bucket. I stabbed the body with a baseball bat. Then I went outside on my concrete porch. I knocked the pointy edges off with a slight tap so it was really small, so it fits on my pinky. Then, after the desired length was aquired, I rubbed the edges gently on the concrete so they turned white and fuzzy. Then, I had a slide.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.