Ever since I started playing bass I have played with 2 fingers on my right hand but I've been told that playing with 3 fingers is beneficial especially when playing a fast piece, I’m currently trying to speed up my playing, would learning to pick with 3 fingers be a step in the right direction? If so how should I go about learning to do it?

Thanks
i tried to use 3 fingers and it works. but bearly. if u want to be able to do it then practice a lot. it could make u faster but only a little bit though. but every note u can fit in the better.
?
yes it does help alot. especially with things like the chorus to Right On Time by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. and to learn it...umm just try learning it the same way u learned to pick with two. alternate between the 3 fingers if you know what i mean.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
it's faster, but due to the different lengths of your fingers, it's easy to fall out of rhythm. Or maybe I need a metronome -.-
i started using my ring finger when i tried to play the trooper by iron maiden and i still believe it's the best song for strengthening the third finger. I know steve harris only used 2 fingers but it works to work on three.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Your lucky! When i first started to play bass, i used a pick, then about two months ago, i tried playing with my fingers and it sounded amazing! So i started to practice alot using two fingers, then three fingers, and now i play with four! just practice loads and loads, and if your learning a song, learn it with three not two (well duh!)
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
it's faster, but due to the different lengths of your fingers, it's easy to fall out of rhythm. Or maybe I need a metronome -.-

yeah you do

ok there are a couple of good things you can do:

first, try isolating the third finger in order to strengthen it and get it up to speed with the others. i played songs like blink-182's "dammit" when i was adding the third finger because the eighth notes are good exercise. also, try playing songs that use complex rhythms as well.

once you get your finger up to speed, try playing songs slower using all three fingers, then gradually increase tempo til you can play at normal speed. scales would also work good, or anything that transfers strings. try to get into the habit of using a 1-2-3-1-2-3 motion because it will give you the best speed in the long run.

eventually incorporate normal techniques such as raking, sweeping, etc. so you can play with the same technical skills as two fingers as well.

hope this helped
Two Words: Steve Digiorgio.

Btw, does Sheehan use four fingers?
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
If you do, don't fall into just playing Maiden to speed up. Maiden's stuff is galloping, which basically has a small space between each note. Meaning it is sixteenth, sixteenth, eight. If you want to do all sixteenths, you will run into problems.
Quote by IndianRockStar
If you do, don't fall into just playing Maiden to speed up. Maiden's stuff is galloping, which basically has a small space between each note. Meaning it is sixteenth, sixteenth, eight. If you want to do all sixteenths, you will run into problems.

Harris also only uses two fingers.
I feel that if you start using 1-2-3-1-2-3 or 3-2-1-3-2-1 you tend to automatically go into the gallop rhythm.

the best way to do it is Steve Digiorgio style, which is 3-2-1-2-3-2-1 it's a very hard thing to grasp at real speeds, it's something i'm working on now. I find it easiest to start with playing scales/chromatics on just one string, and moving to the next string. Then once you have that down at a comfortable speed move on to that over two strings, then three, then four, then string skipping etc.

takes alot of practice, but it can be done.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Well im starting on three finger picking today but what "order" should I use my fingers in? Someone said 1-2-3 but it feels comfortable at the moment starting with the 3rd finger (3-2-1). Is this a bad idea?
Start with the third finger and do 3-2-1-2-3-2-1.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Also, if your into a galloping rythm, I find it easy to go 3-2-1-3-2-1, any1 do it differently?
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
I do the 3-2-1-3-2-1 gallop rhythm too. But i'm gonna work on my three finger technique so i can play fast 16th lines. So i'm going to use the 3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2, etc approach.
signature
Quote by Forcemaster
Start with the third finger and do 3-2-1-2-3-2-1.

Sorry I missed your post . Anything specific I should do to learn this or should I just start using it in stuff I already know?
Quote by BadBishop
Two Words: Steve Digiorgio.

Btw, does Sheehan use four fingers?

Yeah, its a good way to kick up your speed for shredding and such.
^Your responding to the Sheehan comment right? Are you sure he uses four fingers and by fingers I mean on his right hand not his left. Everyone uses four fingers on your left.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
I started out using two fingers. Then I did some stuff to my fingers and now I use 4 fingers.
Just practice using each finger. Watch some TV and do it. If you get that excercise thing for like trumpet player or something might help.
I don't really see the efficiency of 3-2-1-2 picking. The entire point of using 3 fingers is to be able to play faster and without getting tired fingers. But using your middle finger twice as much as the others will make it tired faster and probably slow you down or make your playing less clean.
Should I try to use this in all of my playing or in some cases would 2 fingers be more approipriate?
Quote by Forcemaster
Harris also only uses two fingers.
I feel that if you start using 1-2-3-1-2-3 or 3-2-1-3-2-1 you tend to automatically go into the gallop rhythm.

the best way to do it is Steve Digiorgio style, which is 3-2-1-2-3-2-1 it's a very hard thing to grasp at real speeds, it's something i'm working on now. I find it easiest to start with playing scales/chromatics on just one string, and moving to the next string. Then once you have that down at a comfortable speed move on to that over two strings, then three, then four, then string skipping etc.

takes alot of practice, but it can be done.

I guess I'm weird because when I jam I can never get the 3-2-1 or 1-2-3.....I tend to do a 3-2-1-2-3-2 as you said....It's more efficient and it's more comfortable for me...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls