Alright I've always wanted a thunderbird bass, they look good and are fun **** to play, but are waay out of my price range. I wanna know if the epiphone model is a decent impersonation. I dont expect it to be as good, but is it worth the money?
My friend has one and he hates it. Ive played one a while ago and thought the neck was way to beefy for me, and the sound the is way too muddy for my taste.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

my bassist has one
definately on the beefy side
i dont know whether you'd like that though
i do
we're a metal band
so yea
but one flaw i see on it
is that its really neck heavy
but thats negligible
The answer is no.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
yea im in a cover band that plays mostly classic rock, but i gottaslap and pop sometimes cuz we play chili peppers 2 so i dont want anything muddy
Quote by dyjaba
yea im in a cover band that plays mostly classic rock, but i gottaslap and pop sometimes cuz we play chili peppers 2 so i dont want anything muddy

Yeah its definitely not a bass for slap. I bought a squier VM jazz and im not regretting it. I compared it to a couple of mim's and prefered the tone, feel, and looks of the squier.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

i think it'd be ok if you replaced the pickups really.

and everybody says it has problems with neckdive but so does the gibson one so that just means it's the same in that respect.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Another local bassist I know owns one (the epiphone model)
heres what i think:

1. weighs alot
2. sketchy pickups
3. tone isnt as good as other basses in that price range

thats all i got
If you got better pickups and a lighter neck (maybe new tuners would work?) that takes care of the main faults.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Fitzy you and I should make a club about this. Okay TBH I think Epiphone and for the most part Gibson basses suck. The Thunderbird is a horrendous design. The neck dive is hilarious, the fret access is nonexistant and combine all that crap with a muddy tone and you have a bass set for failure. Even the fact John Entwislte played one can't redeem this at all. With a proper cutaway and a fixed balance this bass would have a shot, but without that it plain sucks. For that price a Squier VM Jazz or P will blow that out of the water several times.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Fitzy you and I should make a club about this. Okay TBH I think Epiphone and for the most part Gibson basses suck. The Thunderbird is a horrendous design. The neck dive is hilarious, the fret access is nonexistant and combine all that crap with a muddy tone and you have a bass set for failure. Even the fact John Entwislte played one can't redeem this at all. With a proper cutaway and a fixed balance this bass would have a shot, but without that it plain sucks. For that price a Squier VM Jazz or P will blow that out of the water several times.

You are forgeting new pickups and preamp, but I agree.
Quote by watchingmefall
You are forgeting new pickups and preamp, but I agree.

Basically a completely different instrument, eh?

Oh and to the threadstarter, if you tell us what kind of music you play, we can suggest other stuff too.
i play mostly classic rock, like creedence acdc stuff like that but also a lot of funk chili peppers stuff
Quote by dyjaba
i play mostly classic rock, like creedence acdc stuff like that but also a lot of funk chili peppers stuff

I'd say a Jazz bass with suit you well enough
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

u want versatility then DONT GO NEAR IT look at some ltds fenders or mid ranged yamahas for the same price u could get those monstrosity's (epiph thunderbird) for
I like my epi, though since i got my eb3 i havent really messed with it, mainly because its so damn heavy...You can reach those top frets, i do so all the time. But i dont see it as a slap bass at all...more pick bass...i have mine strung up with flats and i love it, but like i said really heavy and even more so with the case...youd think that wouldnt matter but its a long walk to the studio where me and my band reherse and i also take a second guitar and either my laptop or my GNX3.
You know you can't really reach past the 15th fret, right?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
got no problems with em, it doesn't sound as muddy if u set your EQ on ur amp right, the necks r pretty thick i know, but u get used to it

and oh yea thefitz..
big muffs work on bass :P
I've got an Artic White Custom model (Epi) and I think it's fantastic. Upper fret access is a bit tricky but I rarely play that high so it's not really a problem for me, and my guitar is an SG copy that I've had for years so I'm used to the top-heavy thing. A good tone isn't hard to get if you're playing through a decent amp and tweak around a bit. All in all I've got no complaints about mine.
Quote by rob_bass_man
got no problems with em, it doesn't sound as muddy if u set your EQ on ur amp right, the necks r pretty thick i know, but u get used to it

and oh yea thefitz..
big muffs work on bass :P

Didn't say they didn't work. I said they aren't for them.

Wait a sec... you use a Big Muff and a Thunderbird? Are you trying to start a feud with me or something?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
see the Fitz quote in my sig.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.