I've been teaching myself guitar for about a year now, and I've been learning at a decent pace. One thing that has annoyed me for a while is that I can't do hammer ons on my guitar. When I try a hammer on the note just gets dampened too quickly. I recently put heavy guage strings on my guitar, which probably was a mistake because now I barely get any sound at all from a hammer on. If i take my finger and hit the fret as hard as i can a sound, but only really on the lower 3 strings. And even so this isnt really practical for playing. So any tips? I'm guessing my technique is bad but my guitar is a $300 Ibanez RG series, so its not the best in the world, and maybe thats the problem.
How long have you been practicing the hammer ons? I have been practicing them on and off over the time in which I have been playing and finally incorporated them into daily practice. It takes time for the finger muscles themselves to get used the the hammering movement and build up enough strength behind it to get the notes to ring out loud. If the guitar is the problem as you said it could possibly be you may have to much relief in your neck. I believe (not entirely sure) that that could cause techniques like tapping to be harder to achieve.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Yeah im starting to think maybe it is the guitar. I noticed that when I put on the heavy strings, the tension is obviously greater, and I noticed that the neck kind of bent forward a bit, just a tiny bit, but I could definetly tell.
Ah then you just need a minor truss rod adjustment. That would straighten out the neck and possible help with your problem. If you do the adjustment yourself turn the nut to the right in small increments to increase the tension. Give the neck time to adjust you won't see a difference right away. Give it a day or two and then see how you feel about it before you go on with more adjustments.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
For beginners a lower tension is very useful. i don´t know which guitar you have. I mean there are lots of RGs^^ I got a RG370 and there you can do alot to get a lower tension. Even with thicker strings. Change maybe the tension of your tremolo tension spring.
I have no problems with hammer ons and pull offs, so it can´t be the guitars fault....but the guitar´s adjustment fault.