Page 1 of 2
here is my guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_les_paul_special_ii_electric_guitar?full_sku=100161340
and here is my Amp
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_fender_frontman_15g_guitar_combo_amp?full_sku=100324498

Any care to tell if they are bad or just plain horrible, this is my current set-up. This when playing on distortion cannot be heard at all! now i got some money to upgrade should for a new guitar and amp should i? i've been playing for one year, i know Some Iron maiden songs with their solo's and QOTSA songs. what u guys think about this gear!?
LOL
schecter omen 6 + roland cube 30 = low cost awesomeness

I used that combo for like 3 years before upgrading to a Sheraton II and Blues Deluxe RI
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Not the greatest. I own the amp and if you get the settings right, you can get some pretty good sonds, though nothing stunning. I'd upgrade the guitar...what do you have to spend?
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
its not about what you have, its about what you do with it, the only reason you would need to upgrade is if your doing lots of live gigs for 200+ people, i did several gigs with the 25 watt version of that amp

as long as you get by with what you have you should be fine, rather than backing out of it when your out of a few grand
if your talking about a first guitar and first amp... i guess it could be worse...

I got my fender frontman... my first amp for 15 bucks off of ebay, haha, and i think it was good for the price, but not for 80 bucks...

but thats it... if you want any decent sound at all you need to upgrade your amp...bad...especially if your trying to get that iron maiden sound. The majority of your sound comes from your amp. So having a cheap guitar through a nice amp is a lot better then having and awesome guitar through a ****ty amp.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
A truthful answer since you asked (normally I would not tell you this) is it's pretty bad. Hey if its your first gear or you can't afford anything else no one needs to critisize you. It'll do for learning. When it sounds bad to you then you have learned what you needed to from it and are ready to upgrade. Even though the guitar isn't good the biggest improvement soundwise would be a new amp. Good luck and keep rockin'.
i got about 900 bucks to one thousand, iam thinking of getting a Scetcher c-1 artist, and amp no idea. any tips? i have come a long way in my playing though
LOL
get a roland microcube, cheap and good, sounds pretty loud if your just using it as practise at home

my 1st amp is even worse~its a daphon portable amp thats like 15cm x 15cm, runs on 9v batteries

...lol
Quote by SiKh22
i got about 900 bucks to one thousand, iam thinking of getting a Scetcher c-1 artist, and amp no idea. any tips? i have come a long way in my playing though
Keep the Epi Special and buy a Marshall JCM Combo.
My first guitar was this Samick Strat Copy, and a 25 Watt Bass amp (cant even remember the name brand...)
Yes, your set up could be worse...
upgrade the amp first, your guitar is better then you think.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Of course it's real, just like everything else you see on TV.

Quote by HorridxHopes
By far the most mathematical post ever on UG.

I am quite the mathmatician...not..

Me playing guitar...or is it?!?!?!
I dont like the guitar though, fret buzz. heavy, bad pickups, very slow neck.
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
here is my guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_les_paul_special_ii_electric_guitar?full_sku=100161340
and here is my Amp
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_fender_frontman_15g_guitar_combo_amp?full_sku=100324498

Any care to tell if they are bad or just plain horrible, this is my current set-up. This when playing on distortion cannot be heard at all! now i got some money to upgrade should for a new guitar and amp should i? i've been playing for one year, i know Some Iron maiden songs with their solo's and QOTSA songs. what u guys think about this gear!?

I started off with the Frontman 15G and Squier strat.
That stuff in the link isn't great, but hey if your a beginner and just need something that plays and gets the job done. That's not bad gear, of course an upgrade is nice.

\Well do you plan on gigging or just practicing in your bedroom?

Your budget should allow for a good upgrade.

^ Yeah TS upgrade your guitar and amp, however spend more of your budget on a nice amp and then spend the rest on a decent guitar.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 2, 2007,
900 bucks, i just the guitar is really slow in my hands. when i use my friends guitar i feel much more better in the ease of playing.
LOL
Then definitely upgrade the guitar, if you don't like the feel and it affects your playing.

Also look into a good amp though since it accounts for a lot of the tone.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

any names on a good amp, Roland, Vox? any sort of amps. thanks
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
I dont like the guitar though, fret buzz. heavy, bad pickups, very slow neck.
Ok, then Buy this amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1-Custom-Classic-1x12-Tube-Amp?sku=482625

And This Guitar:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

You will have a good playing guitar, and one of the best amps ever made.
never going to get an Epiphone ever again in my life or any LP or SG. the LP's bodys are to heavy and the SG's Necks are heavy. any other good vox? for a a little cheaper price. so i have a range and think it with my budget.
LOL
your amp blows, your guitar isn't quite as bad. you should look into deans.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by SiKh22

Wow, I have to give you an online high 5. You saved up $900 for new gear. That is excellent. Most people blow it on slightly better guitars and slightly better amps but you can make a huge jump up.

I would go with a new amp 100% definatly. What musical styles do you prefer and how versatile does the amp need to be?

How does your guitar feel? Are you able to play it well considering it was $150 or is the guitar so bad it discourages you to play?

If your guitar is decent enough to keep around then I'd put 90% of your cash to a new amp and save the other 10% and keep saving until you get enough for a great guitar. If your guitar completely blows then I'd try to split it 50:50 on money for new amp and guitar.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Wow, I have to give you an online high 5. You saved up $900 for new gear. That is excellent. Most people blow it on slightly better guitars and slightly better amps but you can make a huge jump up.

I would go with a new amp 100% definatly. What musical styles do you prefer and how versatile does the amp need to be?

How does your guitar feel? Are you able to play it well considering it was $150 or is the guitar so bad it discourages you to play?

If your guitar is decent enough to keep around then I'd put 90% of your cash to a new amp and save the other 10% and keep saving until you get enough for a great guitar. If your guitar completely blows then I'd try to split it 50:50 on money for new amp and guitar.

Thanks, and yeah i saved up for a while. This guitar is flat bad to me, I do get discouraged from playing it at time. The only reason i play it is to keep learning and learning about Guitar. My playing style is all Metal, Iron Maiden mostly, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Megadeth, and some QOTSA(hard rock i guess?) I'm trying to split the guitar and amp 50:50, 400 for a guitar and somewhat 500 for a good amp.
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
Thanks, and yeah i saved up for a while. This guitar is flat bad to me, I do get discouraged from playing it at time. The only reason i play it is to keep learning and learning about Guitar. My playing style is all Metal, Iron Maiden mostly, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Megadeth, and some QOTSA(hard rock i guess?) I'm trying to split the guitar and amp 50:50, 400 for a guitar and somewhat 500 for a good amp.

But still, what are your needs when choosing an amp? Bedroom, Stadium, Auditorium?

If you're just looking for an improvement, maybe an Ibanez RG550 or S series and Roland Cube 30 or 60.

If you want a more professional gigworthy rig... Maybe a Mesa F-50(about $600 usually) and save up another $200 for a prestige Ibanez, 400 or 1000 series ESP, a good Jackson, well...there are a lot of good guitars for about $700.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
For amps, Get the Windsor Combo when it comes out. The headphone jack will be perfect for bedroom play!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I know a new guitar sounds appealing, but really, set most of the money aside for a nice amp. I made the mistake of blowing most of my money on a schecter c1 hellraiser (killer guitar) and about the cheapest crate a could get that would be loud enough to play with my band. Well, although my guitar is capable of professional quality metal tones, it sounds horrible because of my amp. SO...

Spend AT LEAST 600 on the amp...
and the rest on a cheapish Ibanez or Schecter (~300, or more if you want to save more)

That's pretty musch what everyone else is saying, I guess.
Quote by CORT noob
For amps, Get the Windsor Combo when it comes out. The headphone jack will be perfect for bedroom play!

how about this guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar?sku=518187
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197
alright i guess ill save more
this is just for my own playing by the way, i might join a band later but for now its just for really serious hobby lol (play all day and night)
LOL
Last edited by SiKh22 at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by SiKh22

I know nothing about that guitar or that amp. All I can say about the guitar is that we can't tell you whats going to feel good to you. I'd just go to a guitar store, and try everything they got. But what I can tell you, is that the Windsor is one hell of an amp, and worth looking into.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by SiKh22
alright thanks guys, ill check out the store soon. what kind of amps do guys own? and ur music style (metal,rock..etc.)
what about this guitar?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DXMB-X-Electric-Guitar?sku=512239

I play Alternative, and classic rock mostly. Mostly nothing younger than 10 years. I play an Epi VJ.

And for that guitar, If those are active high output EMG's, I'd definately say get a tube amp if you are going to get that guitar. Any SS amp will probably clip pretty bad.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
I play Alternative, and classic rock mostly. Mostly nothing younger than 10 years. I play an Epi VJ.

And for that guitar, If those are active high output EMG's, I'd definately say get a tube amp if you are going to get that guitar. Any SS amp will probably clip pretty bad.

u play any led-zeppelin? Black dog or whatnot good songs how about a Fender HSS!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
again, thanks for all the help
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
u play any led-zeppelin? Black dog or whatnot good songs how about a Fender HSS!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

I like that guitar alot, and it's feel. But, I prefer SSS. Also, neither HSS or SSS would suit your styles very well though.

And, I knew Black dog at one time
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by SiKh22

I can play Black Dog, though not very well lol.

That's a nice guitar, but I also prefer SSS.

Didn't Iron Maiden use strats themselves?

yeah cause i play mostly Iron Maiden as of right now...but i hope to learn Megadeth stuff (learn variety of music) expand me knowledge!
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
yeah cause i play mostly Iron Maiden as of right now...but i hope to learn Megadeth stuff (learn variety of music) expand me knowledge!
Guitar, this has an awesome neck, and it sounds awesome:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

Amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT2-XL-50W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483006
Page 1 of 2