How do you get that serious clank sound like the one in KoRn?
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Downtune until the strings rattle on the pickups and fretboard.
find the tallest building in your area, bring your guitar to the top of it, and throw it off.
Quote by okinky
you kill yourself

Dude, don't kill yourself.

People say that because they don't have respect for the band.

Anyway, to answer your question:

Korn uses downtuned seven string guitars, and Fieldy the bassist uses a downtuned five string bass. Look up the tunings, and youl get that sound.
Thesickclown
Quote by Sickclown
Dude, don't kill yourself.

People say that because they don't have respect for the band.

Anyway, to answer your question:

Korn uses downtuned seven string guitars, and Fieldy the bassist uses a downtuned five string bass. Look up the tunings, and youl get that sound.

Do this, and turn your mids all the way down. I mean ALL THE WAY. Put your lows at about 6-8 and your highs less than 5, and it might work. Not sure, though.

EDIT: Also, slapping.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by SOADrox429
Do this, and turn your mids all the way down. I mean ALL THE WAY. Put your lows at about 6-8 and your highs less than 5, and it might work. Not sure, though.

EDIT: Also, slapping.

i knew u slapped and downtuned but the mids did it!

ty
Quote by watchingmefall
But it´s a special kind of slap, with thumb and pinky. FYI

what do u do with the pinky? im just using the thumb
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
he just uses slap n pop technique. nothing fancy really.

yeah but i slap n pop with thumb and index never with pinky
If your amp has a horn, that will help out.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by 14shadesofblue
yeah but i slap n pop with thumb and index never with pinky

He doesn't slap in the regular fashion which is what you are doing. See videos and he slaps with his hand wide open, first strike with thumb, then with pinky. Not slap/pop, more like double slap with horrible technique. Your technique is fine, his is ridiculous.
Quote by watchingmefall
He doesn't slap in the regular fashion which is what you are doing. See videos and he slaps with his hand wide open, first strike with thumb, then with pinky. Not slap/pop, more like double slap with horrible technique. Your technique is fine, his is ridiculous.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NJnll6nUqT8

i looked at like 10 vids and he didnt do anything with the pinky

he just wobbles his hand
It only looks like he has a strange technique and looks like he uses his pinky because he has the bass at such an angle that he has to slap perpendicular (right-angled) to the strings.
signature
Quote by watchingmefall

His may be ridiculous, but it works within the band, and it works well. Props to Fieldy.

Oh yeah, and to get more of a clack, he mics up a compressor mic to his bass, or so I've heard.
dont just slap wherever slap the string onto the fingerboard. (u probly alrdy do that but i dont, just tryin to help)
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by watchingmefall
But it´s a special kind of slap, with thumb and pinky. FYI

Yeah the slap technique is pretty weird. I'm sure you could find it on youtube somewhere. It is thumb and pinky, so you can go really fast if you master it. And detuned strings help, but thats already been said.
Quote by jsbassboy
Yeah the slap technique is pretty weird. I'm sure you could find it on youtube somewhere. It is thumb and pinky, so you can go really fast if you master it. And detuned strings help, but thats already been said.

Thanks, I thought I was going crazy.
To be fair, Munky or Head or whatever one it is that plays bass is really downtuned so his bass is probably just really loud and all your hearing is the strings rattling.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by Metalcredge
To be fair, Munky or Head or whatever one it is that plays bass is really downtuned so his bass is probably just really loud and all your hearing is the strings rattling.

................. No. Just be quiet.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by SOADrox429

Never.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
His may be ridiculous, but it works within the band, and it works well. Props to Fieldy.

He's lucky it sounds good within the band, that doesn't justify his poor technique though

*sigh* I have to admit it sounds cool though
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
Quote by Metalcredge

Its Fieldy... why the hell does everyone hate Korn?
They only go as low as A tuning, so just drop everything a whole step on a 5 string bass. After that, scoop the mids and slap. Thats Korns tone... down to the settings. You need a bass with more of a trebly tone to get what there sound is. A bass set for funk would work well for Korn.

And that slap technique is REALLY easy. I learnt like that and prefer it. You just keep your thumb and pinky out and rigid, and use your wrist. It lets you get your thumb under the strings to pop it too... really easy to get the clickety-clackity sound.

Lowering your action REALLY low as long as your intonation stays wouldnt hurt either
Iv gotten fieldys sound down to an art :P but I don't use it in my original music so im not that OBSESSED! haha :P. I have a old ibanez (sr1305) same as fieldys original and a EQ pedal with the mids chopped and the hi's and lows relatively cranked and a small bit of compression. also i use the rare pickup and again cut the mids on the basses eq. Iv found that you can also get a really good fieldy tone (like really good) with a ESP F-254 and models up. Hope that was handddy
Quote by Fast_Bear
I am just curious

Guitar Acoustic Simulator?
To emphasysze that click?

I've found that the Ibanez PD7 Bass Distortion Pedal can give a pretty similar exaggerated "Fieldy" sound. There is a 'High-Range Enhancer' type feature that adds a lot of nuances & fret noise to your sound, that plus you can use the Pedal as a EQ (Just Boost the Treble heaps & Bass a bit).

I was mucking around with my 4-string, really downtuned & got a very similar sound (I'll try it again when I get my BRAND NEW SR506 Within a week ).
Quote by 14shadesofblue
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NJnll6nUqT8

i looked at like 10 vids and he didnt do anything with the pinky

he just wobbles his hand

No, he does, you can see it there, when he "wobbles his hand" he hits with his thumb, then pinky.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by SOADrox429

warned.

Quote by okinky
find the tallest building in your area, bring your guitar to the top of it, and throw it off.

warned.

Quote by okinky
you kill yourself

warned. infact, because okinky did this twice; banned.

now, see, was that so hard to have a Fieldy thread with less than 3 rule violations? friggen seriously?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Agreed. I dont know why Fieldy is so hated. I doubt half the people on UG can play HALF the stuff that Fieldy plays. Maybe its jealousy