Alright..so i have problems picking fast, as do a lot of people. I've been working on that for a little while and have seen results, but that's not what I'm posting about. I noticed a while ago my fretting (left) hand is quite a bit ahead of my right one, which is to be expected considering I'm left handed. Anyway, since I'm farther along in my left hand, would it be cutting corners to add hammer ons to licks that don't have them until my right hand catches up?

Let's take this pentatonic lick for example,

it's a pretty basic lick, but my right hand still has difficulty picking it at somewhat fast speeds (125+ bpm), so could I add in hammer ons to make it easier?
try alternate picking, or if you already do that, economy picking, pick down up down on sa string then move your pick to the next string so that the pick is touching the next sting after picking the forst string for the third time
thry the hammers on then, it shoud work but if ya do them wrong you'll lose some of the sound
Keep practicing your scales man. And also soloing over songs/jamming helps a lot in speed too.
yeah I do all of that and it has helped. I'm not worried about getting faster though. it takes time and i'm cool with that. i'm just asking more about what i can do now.
You can change it to hammer ons if you want. There's not anything wrong
necessarily playing it that way, but it IS also cutting corners. Any time you replace
doing something you find more difficult, with something else, it's a corner cut.
Every time you cut a corner, that's another limit on your playing and cut corners
have a way of adding up.

Just keep working on it. You'll get it eventually. Give your best shot. Go on
to something else for a while. Come back to it later.
i find that if you can add hammer-ons with no consequence to volume, tone, etc. then it will sound better, so go for it
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by edg
You can change it to hammer ons if you want. There's not anything wrong
necessarily playing it that way, but it IS also cutting corners. Any time you replace
doing something you find more difficult, with something else, it's a corner cut.
Every time you cut a corner, that's another limit on your playing and cut corners
have a way of adding up.

Just keep working on it. You'll get it eventually. Give your best shot. Go on
to something else for a while. Come back to it later.

yeah i guess you're right. i'd rather spend more effort on something now and not have to come back later and fix what i did wrong. thanks
The only problem with doing that is that if you just keep cutting out the picking, you'll never be able to do it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Spamwise
it's a pretty basic lick, but my right hand still has difficulty picking it at somewhat fast speeds (125+ bpm), so could I add in hammer ons to make it easier?

If you feel you want to use the lick live then add the legato but as long as you keep practicing it with all picking then you're not cutting corners; you're just playing it different live until you can play it the way you want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, it's cutting corners if your plan is to alternate pick the entire lick. On the other hand, theres nothing much wrong with having a version of that lick to play while waiting to perfect the much more difficult version that you're planning on doing.
Quote by edg

have a way of adding up.

quite possibly one of the most honest statements i've seen on here in a while
Quote by z4twenny
quite possibly one of the most honest statements i've seen on here in a while

indeed. a lot of people don't seem to realize how true it is though.

thanks for the replies. I'll spend more time working on stuff like this.
I'd say there's nothing wrong with playing it the 'easier' way so long as you don't give up on learning the harder way.