Page 1 of 2
i already know what brand im gonna get for an amp, i'm getting a Marshall but i don't know what model though, im looking for something bigger than 75 watts that isn't an MG so... any suggestions?
Do you want a tube or transistor?
What style(s) of music do you play?
What kind of tones are you looking for?
Why do you only want a Marshall?
Do you want 75 tube watts or transistor?
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

If you want to go for Marshall you better buy over 600 bucks or else it's crap. The lower end Marshall's really suck. If you want a good amp that is over 75 watts that is about 300 to 500 bucks just go for a Crate or Vox Valvetronix Amp. And if you want an amp with all that modeling and effects stuff go for a Line 6 spider.
If you want a good marshall I would go get one of those new JVM 410's.... those things are nice. But I dont think you will find exactly 75 watts.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
i have a spyder already and i just want a marshall to use for gigs, my line 6 is good, and its really good 4 gigs, but my drummer just got bigger drums and they are LOUD and if i turn up my line six too much it gets distorted, not the good distortion but like chunky cutting on and off (this happens only when its up almost all the way) and the reverb makes it wors no matter what i do so i need a tube amp
i play metal, and i want a marshall because i dont like crate amps at all, i just like the marshall sound, i'm familair with the name, and it's what the pros use
Why the hell would you need something more that 75 watt tube? Unless your playing a very large gig. I have 50 watt tube. I used to have 100 watt but I traded it in because it was much to loud.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
You can always just get basically any amp you want and grab an attenuator. Lowers the wattage so you can play the amp at next to full and have it at a reasonable volume. For example, a lot of people love the Peavey 5150 for its tone, but 120W tube? Itll blow ears if you want the tone you want. So just lower the wattage to find your tone. QUick and easy and it allows you more flexibility and less tone sacrifice
why do i want something bigger than 75?!?
well for one, why not?
and second like i already said, my drummer is really really REALLY LOUD
Quote by doomed1
well for one, why not?

I don't think you get it..

You really don't need over 50 watts tube. Tube amps are really really REALLY LOUD.

No offense or anything, just my input.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
yes i do but like nedthehed said i can get an antenuator, which i have so im all set volume wise
i think he wants 75 cuz his line6 is 75 watts. dude, 75 watts solid-state does not equal 75 watts tube. 50 watts tube is more than enough.
i want MORE than 75 watts, becuse i want this to be my last amp i have to buy
threadstarter, a 30watt tube amp of the 6l6 variety will be pretty much equal to what you're playing now. possibly a smidge louder. 50 watts would definitely be enough. but since youre persistent here is my rec for you. you seem to be an avid line 6 fan so here
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-100HD-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?full_sku=487071
100 watts isnt as OTT as many here would have you believe. if youre playing clubs, you wont have it above 3 or 4. but once youre playing bigger venues youll likely have it more than halfway and the headroom is nice if you like your cleans crystal. i do side with the others in a sense. 100 watts will probably be overkill for your home and rehearsal spaces.
dude, your being rather retarded.

anything that needs more than 50 watts tube will be miced, quit being fucking stupid and listen to the advice people are giving you.

once you realize that there are better amps out there then your precious Spider, you'll realize there's a whole spectrum of great tone to be had, and most of them will sound good cranked, you WONT crank more than 75 watts unless your George Harrison at Shea fucking Stadium.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by doomed1
yes i do but like nedthehed said i can get an antenuator, which i have so im all set volume wise

Attenuators are expensive. Wait.. you have an attenuator? Why do you have an attenuator if your current amp is a Line 6?

Quote by doomed1
i want MORE than 75 watts, becuse i want this to be my last amp i have to buy

You definately do not need more than 50 tube watts. 50 tube watts alone is enough to blow your ears out, really. I dare you to take a 50 watt tube amp into a small soundproof room and turn it all the way up and walk out with your eardrums intact.

EDIT: Also, don't limit yourself to a Marshall. If you really want that "over 75 watts" then fine. Here you go.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT212-100Watt-2-x-12-Combo-Tube-Amp?sku=481309
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Last edited by rafarquhar at Sep 3, 2007,
Dude...a good 50 watt tube amp would last me forever (unless I get famous). A 50 watt tube amp would get louder than any 75 watt Spider or 120 watt Spider (and sound better). If you must get high wattage why not try a Mesa Boogie recto. A guy who is sort of a bud of mine has a single recto with a 2 by 12 cab. He can get as quiet as he wants and as loud.
Quote by igotabcrich32
dude, your being rather retarded.

anything that needs more than 50 watts tube will be miced, quit being fucking stupid and listen to the advice people are giving you.

once you realize that there are better amps out there then your precious Spider, you'll realize there's a whole spectrum of great tone to be had, and most of them will sound good cranked, you WONT crank more than 75 watts unless your George Harrison at Shea fucking Stadium.

+1

I'd go for a JCM800 if you absoultly have to have a Marshall, but know this; there are hordes of amps out there that are as good and many that are better than Marshall.
Quote by doomed1
well for one, why not?

Then get a new drummer who understands dynamics.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by TehJermie
^dynamics covers both ends of the spectrum. soft and LOUD.

Well, he needs to show his soft side
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I'm not going to tell you not to get a 100watt tube amp because I would be a hypocrit and I will tell you 100watters have more force and a thicker tone than 50watters of the same amp. The volume diffference is unnoticeable and the type and number of speakers you use will change the volume more than 50 more watts will. In fact, 50watts through a 4x12 will be way louder than 100 through 2x12.

No matter what tube amp you get, it's going to be very loud for practice situations if you really want to saturate it...unless you get a 5-15watt class A, which is not what you want.

As for the amp itself, you're really limiting yourself. You'd be best off giving us a genre, tone's you like, price range, and location.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Honestly... a tube amp is about 3X louder than a solid state... closer to 4X louder. So 50W tube is about 200W SS. That being the case, a 50W tube can go 4X as loud as your Spyder, it will sound better/louder with a good cab (4X12), and it will stay clean at higher volumes.
As one other guy said, I dare you to rent a 50W head, put yourself in a small room with it and crank it
^the loudest tube amps only SOUND 2.5 times louder than the "average" solid state(which also has variations). its case by case. so this loudness ratio misinformation being spread around here is flawed. also, i wouldnt want to be in a tiny room with a radio, much less a guitar amp. so that small room thing is stupid.
Quote by TehJermie
^the loudest tube amps only SOUND 2.5 times louder than the "average" solid state(which also has variations). its case by case. so this loudness ratio misinformation being spread around here is flawed. also, i wouldnt want to be in a tiny room with a radio, much less a guitar amp. so that small room thing is stupid.

Thank you. God damn, the amount of complete bull **** that spreads around UG is appalling.

A year ago the common answer was "50 watts tube = 100-120 SS" and this was with some actual knowledge backing it up. A year and a bunch of idiots later, its "50 watts tube = 200 SS".

Anyways: I feel that wattage is not the tell-all of an amps volume. A Mesa/Boogie Mark IV 85 watt head running through a 2x12 sounds a lot louder than a Peavey Windsor or Randall MTS 4x12, both of which are 100 watt heads.

On the same note: A Randall V3 sounds a lot louder than either, and its a 300 watt SS head.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
^ honestly, there's so much to account for. circuit design, tube type, speaker sensitivity, # of speakers. that its entirely futile and downright laughable to try and make some ratio of SS to tube loudness, when in fact there is just as much variation among solid state amps themselves. thats UG for you i guess.
Quote by nedthehead
Honestly... a tube amp is about 3X louder than a solid state... closer to 4X louder. So 50W tube is about 200W SS. That being the case, a 50W tube can go 4X as loud as your Spyder, it will sound better/louder with a good cab (4X12), and it will stay clean at higher volumes.
As one other guy said, I dare you to rent a 50W head, put yourself in a small room with it and crank it

I use a 100watt tube amp in an unfinished garage along with a 2800 watt PA, drums (miked) 1000watt bass amp, and the other guitarists Vetta II 300watt head.

I'm sure a 50watt head in a small room is the least of my worries.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by nedthehead

My brother's 100W JCM900 + quadbox is currently blocking the front hallway at my dad's place till he makes some space in one of the studios. He just plays it in that tiny space and comes and goes through the side door. It is awesomely loud in that space, but nothing to be all afraid of. Yeah it's an inapropriately loud noise, but you guys all make it sound like it's going to liquify your organs or something.

If you're planning on rehearsing with it cranked for any length of time then you'll want earplugs or proper earpieces, but every musician should get used to that idea anyway. Anything involving a loud drummer will start to damage your high frequency hearing with prolonged exposure.

Quote by CORT noob

Then get a new drummer who understands dynamics.

Unfortunately you can't always ask your drummer play quieter, cymbals especially make different sounds depending on how hard you hit them, hitting something softer doesn't always give you a quieter version of the same sound.

I'm not saying you need a backline of 200W stacks, but why do we always have to jump on everyone who wants a halfstack to keep up with their drummer?

Threadstarter, if you like Marshalls buy a JCM800 head and quad. It'll cover just about all the volume you might want. The deceptive thing is that 100W isn't actually that much louder than 50, it just behaves differently. 50W and a quad will happily set off neighbours car alarms all along the street.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
In my experiences anyways, this has been the case. I do own a crappy SS amp (Im in need of $$$) but ive played many a tube amp. I really find that MOST tube amps are about 3X as loud as MOST SS amps. You do have to compare what youre playing on though. You cant (in the TS's case) compare his Line6 to an all tube head because a) speakers...
If you want a huge amp go for it. I agree with those who say get a 50 watt tube, but what I say doesn't really matter all that much. I guess you know you had better be ready to shell out some serious money. It's all good.
Quote by nedthehead
In my experiences anyways, this has been the case. I do own a crappy SS amp (Im in need of $$$) but ive played many a tube amp. I really find that MOST tube amps are about 3X as loud as MOST SS amps. You do have to compare what youre playing on though. You cant (in the TS's case) compare his Line6 to an all tube head because a) speakers...

I find that solid state amps have a smooth transition from quiet to soft.

Tube amps have that hump between barely on to too loud. After you hit the too loud, it doesn't get much louder going from halfway up to all the way up. The Fender hot rod is probably the worst for this, those amps are a new dimension of loud.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Imagine having some banshee screaming down your ear at the loudest volume you can imagine then stabbing you in the ear. That multiplied by 10 is how a >75 watt cranked valve amp is going to be in terms of volume.
Listen to people you DONT need it. What's the point when you can get more than loud enough with 30-50 watts for much cheaper? Go to the shop and try a valve amp out. If you still feel you need louder than 50 watts than you've obviously been defended by such amp...
I could understand if you were talking about like a JCM 800 100 watt head you saw on eBay for real cheap. But the honest truth is, you don't know what you're talking about and are just asking for volume, you should be looking for tone at the best price, people here DO know what they're talking about. My 30 watt amp is capable of drowning out any drummer.
Quote by beckyjc
Imagine having some banshee screaming down your ear at the loudest volume you can imagine then stabbing you in the ear. That multiplied by 10 is how a >75 watt cranked valve amp is going to be in terms of volume.
Listen to people you DONT need it. What's the point when you can get more than loud enough with 30-50 watts for much cheaper? Go to the shop and try a valve amp out. If you still feel you need louder than 50 watts than you've obviously been defended by such amp...

100+watts of tube amps have a thicker tone, more force, better bass response, and more headroom. If you play low tunings, it sounds better through 100watters.

Downsides...the price, you have to pay more for new tubes when, some can be ungodly loud and ungodly quiet. Weight, might be a slight issue, some heads are a few inches longer on the 100watt versions compared to 50.

The volume difference between a 50 and 100 watt is soo miniscule. In the end it depends mostly on the speakers, a 4x12 paired with 50 watts is going to be louder than a triple recto on a 2x12.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ok, heres my opnion wattage doesn't matter, and I'm sick and tired of people going 50 watts is better, or 100 watts is to much, or the opposite. Say you have a 50 watt amp. Its generally regarded that to double the output volume level of the amp, you need to increase the amount of wattage by ten times what it is (i have books to back me up that word it better than i do, and If forced I am prepared to go get them and quote them) That means that a 500 watt tube amp will be about twice as loud as a 50 watt, removing other variables between amps such as tubes, speakers, etc. The increase there is 450 watts. 50 watts to one hundred watts is 50 watts. Therefore, it is about a ninth of the amount needed to double the sound, so volume wise, a hundred watt head will be about as loud as a fifty watt head that literally goes to eleven. Only eleven. Not 20, not 50, 11. As mentioned, different wattages of the same head, such as a stiletto ace, duece, etc will sound different, as they use a different output transformer if i'm not mistaken, and the OT is often called the heart of an amplifiers sound. Extra or less wattage will create differences in when your power tubes begin to break up, with more watts being at higher volumes, or greater headroom. If i need to i'll add more to this later, or edit it if i screwed something up, but whatever. Yeah, thats my opnion.
Page 1 of 2