Page 1 of 2
Sorry if there is a thread on them already, I pretty much never enter the Indie forum.

So last week my cousin showed me this band and I have to say i am absolutely kooky about the Kooks. Im not that big of a fan of indie music but these guys blew me away. They are all ive been listening to for like 5 days. My favourite songs are Sofa Song, Eddies Gun, and Matchbox. So all who appreciate post here.
--
...and the world sighed in relief
don't like them a bit
EDIT: that was kinda asshole-ish of me, i didn't even give a reason why i though that. The reason i don't like them is because i feel they are a very generic band and something we've all heard before. But we've heard it before tastefully. I just don't find anything in this band.

Last edited by Doolittle at Sep 3, 2007,
I bought Inside In/Inside Out a couple of weeks ago. It's a nice listen, but as Doolittle said: we've all heard it before.

However, I do enjoy this kind of music so I still enjoyed the album. My favourite song is "Seaside". It's so simple, it's brilliant.
Ok, the Kooks don't belong in this forum at all, people may think I'm being my old self, but seriously, some of you must agree?

They're such a poor, generic, lame band, who think singing in estuary English makes them seem interesting. I hope they die.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Quote by YourLastAffront
Ok, the Kooks don't belong in this forum at all, people may think I'm being my old self, but seriously, some of you must agree?

They're such a poor, generic, lame band, who think singing in estuary English makes them seem interesting. I hope they die.

Ahem, read the last sentence of my post.
--
...and the world sighed in relief
Quote by PaintOurSilence
Ahem, read the last sentence of my post.

I don't care it's in the wrong section, make the post in 'modern rock'.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
While they're nothing special, I don't mind a song from them every once in a while, as it's rather catchy. Much like the Arctic Monkeys and the Fratellis, they're ok in small, occasional doses.
Quote by YourLastAffront

I knew you'd be in here sometime soon.

I do agree that they are more of a modern rock band though (along with Arctic Monkeys and other similar acts) but if the Arctic Monkeys are okay for discussion here, I assume The Kooks are as well.
a run through for the first time of their album, i was like 'okay'. second run through, i was like singing along with the songs. and like the third i started to hate them. definitely a band that sounded okay for the first few plays, but if it was like 10 years later and i heard this band on the radio.. i'd change the station.
YourLastAffront, youre so elitist. i 'understand' what you mean, but theyre staying here. biles can move it if he wants but for the time being it stays put. its not harming anyone.

also,

the kooks are awful.
I quite enjoy Ooh La, it reminds me of Bob Dylan a bit. They do have a lot of pretty bad songs though.
I can see why people like them. They have ultra catchy pop tunes.

But I don't like them my self. 'Eddies gun' or whatever it was called was a good song, but everything else I have heard I have disliked. Especially that bloody 'Ohh la' song and yeah every other single.
i have heard a few tunes. for the most part they were catchy, but uninspired.
thumbs down from me.
They're boring, I dont even find them catchy.

I sometimes find it hard to distinguish them from razorlight and all that bollocks.
I'm not particularly impressed with their music, although a few of their songs, such as "Naive" and "Sofa Song," are pretty catchy.

But the band members are pretty hawt. I'll give them that.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
awful, generic and more boring then Coldplay and Snow Patrol put together. Also i wouldn't consider them indie.
Hey now, Snow Patrol was definitely not boring on their first three albums.

On their latest, however... yeah.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Seen them live a few times. Pretty good singalong band, but a second album will really test their strengths.
I like them. And if theres room for "The Fratellis" or "The Pigeon Detectives" theres room for these guys.

They play really well (musically) and their live shows are great.
It's a shame that the Kooks do belong in this forum. The term "indie" has been completely devalued by **** bands like the kooks, fratellis, and god help us, the feeling. I saw a tv ad for their 2nd album today - im hoping sinks without a trace and everyone forgets about them. The sooner the music-buying public moves on from this ridiculous fad the better.
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name.
Quote by willhoppy
It's a shame that the Kooks do belong in this forum. The term "indie" has been completely devalued by **** bands like the kooks, fratellis, and god help us, the feeling. I saw a tv ad for their 2nd album today - im hoping sinks without a trace and everyone forgets about them. The sooner the music-buying public moves on from this ridiculous fad the better.

So what bands do you define as "Indie and Alternative"
Quote by meh17
So what bands do you define as "Indie and Alternative"

No one respects the "Alternative" part
Quote by gallagher2006
No one respects the "Alternative" part

The Kooks are more alternative than indie
The Smashing Pumpkins are in Modern Rock, and there's more 'Alternative' in Billy's little finger than you'll find in The Kooks, their entourage and all their fans put together. (thats not me protesting that threads should be moved around, just an observation)

I can't think of a band that's come along in the last few years that suck more corporate **** than the Kooks. Their songs are just begging to be played on Radio One and loved by little girls. They're not the worst thing to happen to music recently, but definately not my favourite.

Sofa Song is cool, the rest? Nah.
I just like their laid back sound, they might be very commercial, but thats no reason to dislike them.

The Smashing Pumpkins should really be in here too, in fact I don't know what "Modern Rock" is meant to mean.
Quote by meh17
I just like their laid back sound, they might be very commercial, but thats no reason to dislike them.

Exactly. They have good catchy songs and I can't wait for the new album
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Personally I think they write some pretty decent tracks and are a good live band. I can see them being around for quite a while yet, especially because here in the UK, radio 1 is all over them at the moment.
TR19

I'm gonna turn it into hydrogen.....
Their first album does not reveal a band that is going to last long. I understand their angle, but they aren't going to last long enough. Their twist on rock and roll is somewhat commercialized, but it is not a crime to cater to the taste of an individual, while making independent music. However, the Kooks cater to the taste of teenage girls that like Maroon 5, John Mayer, and other bands like that (Even though Maroon 5 is somewhat alright, they are a bit too commercial.) These guys are also British, so, that puts them in a strange, quirky position. To quote the legends of Britpop, Tom Meighan of Kasabian and Noel Gallagher of Oasis, these guys play for teenage girls. They are the commercial end of independent rock and roll.
Quote by Dragon Master
Their first album does not reveal a band that is going to last long. I understand their angle, but they aren't going to last long enough. Their twist on rock and roll is somewhat commercialized, but it is not a crime to cater to the taste of an individual, while making independent music. However, the Kooks cater to the taste of teenage girls that like Maroon 5, John Mayer, and other bands like that (Even though Maroon 5 is somewhat alright, they are a bit too commercial.) These guys are also British, so, that puts them in a strange, quirky position. To quote the legends of Britpop, Tom Meighan of Kasabian and Noel Gallagher of Oasis, these guys play for teenage girls. They are the commercial end of independent rock and roll.

Never call Kasabian Britpop. Ewww. Kasabian are an awful band, plus they came around after the Britpop era, but Iagree with what they're saying.

The Kooks are very Razorlight-like, don't know why they don't get along
Quote by meh17
Never call Kasabian Britpop. Ewww. Kasabian are an awful band, plus they came around after the Britpop era, but Iagree with what they're saying.

The Kooks are very Razorlight-like, don't know why they don't get along

Whats wrong with Kasabian?
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
Whats wrong with Kasabian?

Nothing wrong with them, I don't really like them much apart from a few songs.

But just saying they aren't Britpop really.
first of all... razorlight? terrible

the kooks are classically trained musicians that could prob outplay most people here. you keep saying that they are 'commercial'... of course they are, and it's also why they are ****ing loaded now.

and for the record, I am not a teenage girl and i am a huge fan of the kooks! their songs are catchy as hell and their live show is amazing.

Anyways, just my opinion so dont hate me
The fact is that both of these bands are successful, but are also not considered great, in some circles. British indie rock fans may consider them commercial. I'm not British.
Quote by meh17
Nothing wrong with them, I don't really like them much apart from a few songs.

But just saying they aren't Britpop really.

Ah fair enough
Quote by acoustic_12
the kooks are classically trained musicians that could prob outplay most people here.

Really?
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Page 1 of 2