Alright, I realize this isn't generally the place for serious discussion, but I feel the need to get something off my chest and see if anybody else might offer some input, and I decided to turn to the relative anonymity of this forum.

As perhaps some of you know, I'm a rather avid ultimate frisbee player. I was at practice last week and I played absolutely terribly. I was taking a break and watching the best guy on our team (probably one of the best college players in the country) and thinking "I wish I could be that good at something". And I got to thinking about it- I work hard at a lot of things, but I'm not that good at anything, and it feels like I never will be. It feels like of everything I do I'm just average at all of it. It seems that I don't really stand out at all and that I'm relatively insignificant. That because I don't have something that I'm the best at, nobody will notice me and I'll just pass by without anybody caring. Like I don't really matter to anybody else. This isn't helped by the fact that at school I don't really have very many friends, especially compared to at home (all my friends [pretty much] go to school far away).

That wasn't really well thought out or anything, but that's the general gist of it. Anybody feel the same way? Advice on what to do?
uhhh this is frisbees where talking about...ok umm yeh...I gotta recomend giving up on your ultimate frisbee career and train a dog to perform at minor league baseball games that catches frisbees in its mouth while doing flips and coold tricks.
competitive frisbee.....? you deserve to fail at life.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
Well If you truly love what you do you shouldn't compare to other frisbee or guitar players. And I don't have many friends either, but the few ones I have are more than enough.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Well, first off you'd be quite surprised how competitive ultimate gets.

Also, the point isn't that I played poorly at practice, the point is that it led me to think about how it feels that everything I do is insignificant, like it doesn't really matter to anybody or for anything.
Quote by BlueGatorade

The solution to all your problems

wow youre a c*nt
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Well, first off you'd be quite surprised how competitive ultimate gets.

Also, the point isn't that I played poorly at practice, the point is that it led me to think about how it feels that everything I do is insignificant, like it doesn't really matter to anybody or for anything.

If you feel like you're insignificant, do something about. Seriously, people don't accomplish things by sitting around. I sort of sound like one of those motivators on TV but it's true. Get a hold of yourself, choose something to succeed in, and do it. You've got to have the passion. Find the passion within yourself and just show people and yourself what you can do.

If that's too hard, you can always remind yourself that in the big picture, almost all humans are insignificant. Think about it. More than 99% of people on earth don't really matter, so you're not alone. I suggest what I said first though.

EDIT: Also, don't constantly compare yourself to those better than you. All it will do is get you down. Unless you're going to aim to become as good as another person, which can be very positive.

DOUBLE EDIT: I also forgot to mention that it obviously isn't easy, and if you want to get better, emotions play a huge part. You're obviously unhappy about your current situation, but that negative energy can easily be turned into anger, which can easily be turned into the willpower to become better. So get angry!
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Last edited by TechnicolorBoy at Sep 3, 2007,
I expected most of the results to be along the same idea as Blue Gatorade's. Thanks to those of you who have actually responded.

To Blue Gatorade, hypothetically speaking, if I was actually really depressed and seeing your responses caused me to cut myself and kill myself, how exactly would you react? Would you think it's funny that you caused the death of another human being? Just curious...

Quote by shut_up_n00b
Well If you truly love what you do you shouldn't compare to other frisbee or guitar players. And I don't have many friends either, but the few ones I have are more than enough.

It's not that I have a lot of friends at either place. At home I have about 5-6 really close friends that I hang out with all the time. At school, there's only one guy I feel like I'm actually kind of close to. There's people that I'm like, friendly with, but not many that I'm actually close friends with.

Quote by TechnicolorBoy
If you feel like you're insignificant, do something about. Seriously, people don't accomplish things by sitting around. I sort of sound like one of those motivators on TV but it's true. Get a hold of yourself, choose something to succeed in, and do it. You've got to have the passion. Find the passion within yourself and just show people and yourself what you can do.

If that's too hard, you can always remind yourself that in the big picture, almost all humans are insignificant. Think about it. More than 99% of people on earth don't really matter, so you're not alone. I suggest what I said first though.

EDIT: Also, don't constantly compare yourself to those better than you. All it will do is get you down. Unless you're going to aim to become as good as another person, which can be very positive.

DOUBLE EDIT: I also forgot to mention that it obviously isn't easy, and if you want to get better, emotions play a huge part. You're obviously unhappy about your current situation, but that negative energy can easily be turned into anger, which can easily be turned into the willpower to become better. So get angry!

It's not that I'm not succeeding, generally. Not to sound full of myself or anything, but I do pretty well at everything I apply myself to. I'm doing well in school (I have a 3.86 at the moment I think, I completed 37 credits my freshman year and I have 17 more this semester). With ultimate, last year I played an important role on my school's B team last year, and I've just been having trouble keeping up with my school's A team's elite players. That stuff will just come with practice and experience, it was just that I had a really rough practice that day. It's just frustrating, because it seems that no matter what I do, there's always tons of people out there who are better than me.

I also hold really high standards for myself- I want to be the best at everything. Which I know is impossible to attain, but it bothers me because I'm not the best at anything. I'm mediocre-pretty good at a bunch of different things, but there's not like one thing that I'm really good at.
I love those moments of real motivation. I get up, walk outdoors, ready to accomplish my dreams, then I just think "effort" and stay home and masturbate. Story of my life.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Well perfect practice, makes perfect performance. So just keep on trying. Hard work will pay off, most famous people wouldnt have gotten where they are are if they had not have been persistent. My advice is just to stay focused, and not let it get to you.
i used to feel like that all the time, especially when i joined a new band with a better guitar player, it felt like i had phailed at life because the only thing i am good at and will probably be my only means of getting a career when i'm older, wasn't good enough. But then i thought about it even more and realised he's 3 years older than me, so i just work harder and harder at it now.
Really, a while ago, my thoughts were the exact same as you. THere were always someone who was better at me at something that i felt comfortable with.. (sometimes it's still like that)

For example: Electric guitar, i started playing guitar 5 years ago... since then i've thought MANY times: "well, look Steve Vai he's so damn-stupid good..i will never be like him, i better quit for the sake of the world."

that was until i found out the greatness of the acoustic guitar that's something i'm really passionate and actually really good at.

Well, what i want to say is: You have to find something that you are interested in and passionate about. Wheter you suck at it now you will accomplish things through it as long as you are passionate.. it doesn't matter who's better than you or have accomplished more things. What matter is you and what you like to do..

You will reach goals for your own sake and not for others
period
Last edited by Havoc_ at Sep 3, 2007,