hey guys,

so i normally do everything in E standard, and this means EVERYTHING. on occasion i might drop it to drop D, but its mainly all just E standard.

every once in a blue moon ive tuned down to C to get a chunky metalish sound, and i've noticed this more than once. but today just now it was much more pronounced than usual.

it's a LOT easier to play tuned down. and what i mean by this is that everything really is...easier.

my sweeping technique? better than it normally is (mind you, i'm fairly clean sweeping already) hammer-ons and pull offs? the ones i can't consistently get in standard are a piece of cake. tapping? sounds clearer, easier in general.

anybody else notice this?

i know the REASON for it, it's just that there's less tension on the strings. ALOT less tension. but i just don't understand why that should make such a difference.

maybe this is why every other guitarist wants to play metal
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
only downsides: it's hard to keep a guitar tuned low and not bend fast notes way out of tune. that and the fact that a semi krappy riff will sound 10x krappier tuned that low. but some low stuff is pretty sexy.
Uh, yer. It's easier to fret and bend them because there's less tension working against your fingers.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by aequitasveritas

Modern style metal. Downtuning wasn't huge in earlier days.
Get 8's/9's and tune to E standard - that or move everything down to D standard and play about there for a while. See if it's the tuning or the tension you like.
I used to hate the feel of my strings when i detuned my guitar, but now I don't mind it as much.
Quote by aequitasveritas
hey guys,

Well most namds that tune down use thicker strings, so it's not a huge difference in tension.
that makes me play sloppier. i like the guitar to work against me alot, it makes me earn every note i guess.
Quote by Kaspre
I used to hate the feel of my strings when i detuned my guitar, but now I don't mind it as much.

I used to feel guilty after going to standard D for a few times (I play only in Standard D now) because I had this mindset that downtuning = not Metal.

That is, until I started listening to Black Label Society. Double Dropped D down one step and 72 BPM, that's heavy ****!
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Last edited by PunishedOne at Sep 3, 2007,
IMO, Chords = harder because the strigns are slack, but bends, pull ofs, ect are genrally easier.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Uh, yer. It's easier to fret and bend them because there's less tension working against your fingers.

Simple as, I think.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Also, if your truss rod is not adjusted properly (meaning you've got a lot of relief in the neck in standard tuning), your neck will straighten out when you downtune, decreasing the distance beteen the string and the fret in the middle to upper end of the fretboard.