i wanna make an artsy pickguard for my sg. is there a certain type of plastic i should get? is there something around the house i can use to scrap off to use?
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
if i were you i'd just get a white pickguard from musiciansfriend cause ther dirt cheap and then do whatever artsy thing you want to it.
Materials:
While custom pickguards are made from variety of materials, most mass-production manufacturers use various plastics. The following are the most common:

Celluloid. Commonly associated with "vintage" guitars, this plastic is available in variety of colors and designs, but it has several cons that hinder its usage nowadays:
This material is extremely flammable. Performers who smoke near their instruments with celluloid pickguards can occasionally put everything on fire with a misplaced cigarette.
As a solvent based plastic, celluloid tends to shrink over the years, making pickguard curl around the edges. It puts extra stress on wood beneath the pickguard and sometimes cracks appear. This is very common on older Martin acoustic guitars. On electric guitars, where pickguard was attached with screws, vintage celluloid pickguards tends to develop cracks in themselves due to shrinking stress.
Vinyl. This material does not tend to shrink and is not highly flammable.
PVC.
Acrylic glass.

If you want, go to a hardware stores, buy the material, and then you will have to cut it too fit your guitar "Pickups, Knobs, Screwholes"

It'd take a while.
Quote by garrett5
Materials

If you want, go to a hardware stores, buy the material, and then you will have to cut it too fit your guitar "Pickups, Knobs, Screwholes"

It'd take a while.

i would just want a solid black plastic, so should i go pvc? i plan on doing a custom cut/shape and i want to do like a blood splatter paint job
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
PVC stinks (literally!) try a mar-resistant polycarbonate, or a high-density polyethylene. I'm makin one out clear polycarbonate so that when i paint it on the back, the color(or picture) will be protected by the clear plastic and won't scratch off!!! just a thought.....
Prong =