How similar are the keyboard and piano, playing wise? If I learnt keyboard could I play piano?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
pretty much, yea

on piano your fingers should have a harder time though, cuz you're actually making a hammer strike a string whereas a keyboard doesn't need to
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
theyre the same, just different sound
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

They are very similar, but (depending on the keyboard) they will have a different feel. expensive keyboards have weighted keys that simulate the feel of a piano, and cheaper keyboards sense the velocity of the key strike to determine the dynamics.

Overall, you will be doing exactly the same movements, but it will feel different.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
They are very similar, but (depending on the keyboard) they will have a different feel. expensive keyboards have weighted keys that simulate the feel of a piano, and cheaper keyboards sense the velocity of the key strike to determine the dynamics.

Overall, you will be doing exactly the same movements, but it will feel different.

its like acoustic vs electric guitar....kind of
ok, so are all the keys set out in the same order? and do they both have the same octave range?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
of COURSE all the keys are gonna be set out in the smae order, I mean, middle C is still gonna be in the middle...
Octave range is another story though. NOW you can get Key boards that do coverthe same octaves as a full siz piano, but you can also get keyboards that are much smaller, for example I have a tiny little keyboard that i rarely use that only covers 2 octaves without pressing the little switch on the back that puts the keyboard into it's other mode (making it go an octave higher or lower depending on what mode it's in already). THIS keyboard is SO annoying. i hate havin to press that little button in the middle of a song. So i recon if you get a keyboard, get a full size one or at least close to.
although there might be other options, i don't really play keyboard/piano
Last edited by mdwallin at Sep 3, 2007,
Its just that I want to learn piano and was wondering if learning keyboard first would be a good start. I mean pianos are expensive and bloody hard to lug around.
yo learn to play p[iano you can easliy choose keyboard as a starter. I've started going piano since real short after playing keyboard for awhile. Only the feel is different. Nothing more.
Quote by Ænimus Prime

in a way it is true about the expensive and cheap. but alot of keyboardists like unweighted keys like derek sherianian of dream theater(was).

but if you play keyboard with weighted keys you shuld be perfectly fine on piano, i play piano as a side thing and i always play the keyboards at a friends place all the time, it's just the keys are easier to press on a keyboard