i have a valveking head....and a marshall 1960a cab

is it bad to run my cab in stereo (8ohms) and use both outputs from my head at 16ohms>>

will this damage anything??
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
yes, it will probably damage something. If each side of the cab is 8ohm, it's like using 2x 8ohm cabs. THe VK speaker jacks are in parallel, so that would be a 4ohm total load the head is seeing. You will probably fry something trying to set the head on 16ohm, it will be seeing a much lower impedance load.

Set it to 4ohm in this instance, if each side is 8ohm. You always want to match impedance ratings if possible, this will give you the maximum power. If you run into a situation where you have to mismatch impedance, it's always safer to run one step higher cab than head. So, 4ohm head to 8ohm cab, 8ohm head to 16ohm cab, etc... You can fry the output transformer if you run a tube amp into a smaller impedance load than it's expecting, especially 2 steps like that. You start running into other issues with flyback voltage if you swing too far the other way though, with a much higher impedance cab.

btw, you're better off just running it mono anyway imo. There is no real point to splitting it, the VK isn't a stereo head, so there won't be any real stereo seperation.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
it lowers th over all volume in to the cab so i can push the tubes thats tad more alowing more clipping in low volume practice

but that might be cuz i was using a 16 ohm i did the thing backwards thinking that you do 2 x's not divide lol
yeah, I wouldn't keep pushing your luck, that's a definite "no no" with tube amps.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
The Valve King isn't really a cranking type of amp is it? I'd buy an OD pedal if I was you and you need the distortion.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^ 3dont need more distortion...just a fuller tone

but im good that answered my question thank you very much
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3