Page 1 of 2
Im so fucked its unreal.

I know £1000 is a piddly amount of debt to be in but I need ways of getting out of and staying out of debt in a legal manner.

I ll give you a back story.

This past year I have been at university and my parents being very poor could not afford to help me out financially. If they did, they would go hungry for a week. (I know this is England that shouldnt happen but I have a deadbeat work shy father. My mother is training to be a teacher to get away from him but he makes it difficult).

Now, I knowingly went into £1000 of debt to escape my father and I paid 3 months advanced rent on a flat, but I lost it because I couldnt afford to live on my own. I had no money for food or the bills so 2 months later I had to move back into my parents home. I tried finding a job during that time but I didnt get anywhere. When I moved back into my parents house I got a job as a controller for a cab firm.

Right now I need to find a flat to live in to go back to university but I cant even afford the deposit or months advance rent until my student loan comes through. The problem is, all of it will go to the bank which will keep me in £1000 debt. So I changed the bank account that the loan goes to, the problem is, I still owe the other bank £1000.

Im at a loss. I cant get a flat because I dont have any money, yet I cant get a job because I need one in Guildford but Im stuck in London.... And I quit my job here because they were paying me illegally (I was working for my dads dodgy mate).

Any advice? I know its the pit and this is my last resort... Asking an internet forum... Thats how desperate I am. My parents cant help me and the bank is screwing at me.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Use your student loan to pay for a new flat, or go into University Accommodation for a while. There must be other job opportunities out there, even if they're ****, that can get you the money to pay back your other debt to the bank.

EDIT: I don't want to comment on your home situation because I'm not really sure what's going on, but it seems like staying there isn't doing you much good.

Good luck, mate.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Sep 3, 2007,
first things first, dont worry, student overdrafts are interest free, so open one with barclays and get 1000 pound limit, and worry about that later.

Get a second account for you student loan (which you have done) and try and get a good paying part time job like a waiter in a restaurant where you can keep tips. Not the most glamourous but it all mounts up. But student overdraft will be your quick fix solution till three years after you graduate. but by then, you will have a degree and hopefully a web paid job.
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
Bargh. I feel your pain

I paid off my grands debt I'd accumulated (the sad thing is, I wasn't even at uni, I literally pissed it all away) by working for a month and not spending anything at all, but that's not realyl possible now... hmm, Use one overdraft to pay off the other, consider going with HSBC because they've given me £1500 overdraft (I have £-1300 at the mo because my rent's gone out and my loan hasn't come in, pricks)

And as for the living somewhere thing... have you looked like on gumtree for a house share typed thing? the people you live with will probably be cunts but it's better than nothing until your loan comes in, no?

I'm in the same situation for the deposit business. My student flat looked peachy until I realised the £85 per week is NOT inclusive of internet =/ and my boyfriend's been dropping hints he wants us to rent a place together but I now have no money at all and neither does he, so it's just impossible...
Quote by shakysam
Use your student loan to pay for a new flat, or go into University Accommodation for a while. There must be other job opportunities out there, even if they're ****, that can get you the money to pay back your other debt to the bank.

Im not eligible for accommodation at the university. Ive been trying to get it for months but because Im going into my second year Im not eligible.

Any job is fine btw, so long as its not labouring or cabbing... bar work is fine but I cant get into that for some reason....

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Bargh. I feel your pain

I paid off my grands debt I'd accumulated (the sad thing is, I wasn't even at uni, I literally pissed it all away) by working for a month and not spending anything at all, but that's not realyl possible now... hmm, Use one overdraft to pay off the other, consider going with HSBC because they've given me £1500 overdraft (I have £-1300 at the mo because my rent's gone out and my loan hasn't come in, pricks)

And as for the living somewhere thing... have you looked like on gumtree for a house share typed thing? the people you live with will probably be cunts but it's better than nothing until your loan comes in, no?

I'm in the same situation for the deposit business. My student flat looked peachy until I realised the £85 per week is NOT inclusive of internet =/ and my boyfriend's been dropping hints he wants us to rent a place together but I now have no money at all and neither does he, so it's just impossible...

Its HSBC thats fucked me over lol... They now wont give me any credit cards to atleast pay for a flat god damn it.

All my wages from working at the cab firm brought by debt from £1500 to £1000. My limit was £1000 so I cant take money out, only put it in and the account is frozen now.
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by Guitardude19
Im not eligible for accommodation at the university. Ive been trying to get it for months but because Im going into my second year Im not eligible.

Any job is fine btw, so long as its not labouring or cabbing... bar work is fine but I cant get into that for some reason....

I've become obsessed with gumtree. Under 'general' they have all kinds of jobs and if you look on the london one it has details of high paid clinical trials and sperm donors they want (I can't do that one, bah sexism) you'd find something with that.

But... I know, because I'm in that situation too... you can't really get anything other than bar work until you get your timetable in because you don't know when you're gonna be free!
Quote by Guitardude19

Its HSBC thats fucked me over lol... They now wont give me any credit cards to atleast pay for a flat god damn it.

All my wages from working at the cab firm brought by debt from £1500 to £1000. My limit was £1000 so I cant take money out, only put it in and the account is frozen now.

Are you sure you couldn't try telling this to one of the university accomodation officers(or whatever) and beg something on the basis that you'll be unable to continue study without some temporary help? There may well be emergency funds and bursaries etc available to someone in your position, even if actual accomodation is not directly available from the university.
At any rate, there may be other banks that will either extend you some credit or something for signing up, although you may have to spend some time looking.
I also hate to mention it in a guitar forum, but you may have to consider hawking some of your gear
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I've become obsessed with gumtree. Under 'general' they have all kinds of jobs and if you look on the london one it has details of high paid clinical trials and sperm donors they want (I can't do that one, bah sexism) you'd find something with that.

But... I know, because I'm in that situation too... you can't really get anything other than bar work until you get your timetable in because you don't know when you're gonna be free!

Bar work would be fine if a bar would employ me.... They just wont lol. Ive tried every bar around Guildford and got a resounding "No"

I cant work in London either because I need to be in Guildford in a week. Well, Saturday really... But even then I have no money for the train down there!

Oh and I desperately want out of my fathers house. We almost came to blows again last night. One day I WILL kill him if he doesnt watch his back.

Quote by MightyAl
Are you sure you couldn't try telling this to one of the university accomodation officers(or whatever) and beg something on the basis that you'll be unable to continue study without some temporary help? There may well be emergency funds and bursaries etc available to someone in your position, even if actual accomodation is not directly available from the university.
At any rate, there may be other banks that will either extend you some credit or something for signing up, although you may have to spend some time looking.
I also hate to mention it in a guitar forum, but you may have to consider hawking some of your gear

The university are well aware of my situation yet they refuse to help. They said "If you are still having problems by November we MAY consider helping you with temporary campus accommodation." Yea... Sucks. They cant help with accommodation outside the university because they said they cant.

I have no gear to sell. My guitar amp and pedal is worth practically nothing.

I might open another bank account... If they let me
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by Birdy266
Move to mexico

>_>

<_<

If I was gonna do that I would first rape the banks of all their money....
I know it's a really sh*tty suggestion, but would the uni allow you to take a year out so you could try building up a bit of cash - you know, stay at home but work every hour you can, as that will keep you out of your dads way, and maybe even leave you too knackered to argue when you do see him?
Go to your bank, explain your circumstances and give them the evidence of your student loan agreement and request a temporary overdraft extension?
why did you quit your illegal job? im just saying you can't be picky...
www.orangejustice.com - my band
Quote by Klown
why did you quit your illegal job? im just saying you can't be picky...

Lol, because it was illegal and I didnt want to get fucked in the ass by the law. I wont say why because I will incriminate myself.

@Mighty Al... I would take a year out if it wasnt for my father. He would bury me for "bringing shame on the family"

@gpel.... I cant do that. I already have an extension. They wont give me another one.

Edit:

Breakthrough.... A friend is going to let me stay with him in Guildford until I find a place to live... And he has given me a few contact numbers for rents woot!
Yay.
As for a job, there will be places that will give you weekend only work - a mate of mine worked saturdays at his local pharmacy while he was at uni, or maybe you could try a fast food place or something.
I know it sucks to lose your weekends, but needs must when the devil drives. Or something along those lines.
Good luck anyway.
Quote by MightyAl
Yay.
As for a job, there will be places that will give you weekend only work - a mate of mine worked saturdays at his local pharmacy while he was at uni, or maybe you could try a fast food place or something.
I know it sucks to lose your weekends, but needs must when the devil drives. Or something along those lines.
Good luck anyway.

Yea weekend work is what Im looking for lol. Well, things have just perked up Now I have one less thing to worry about- Housing.
Yay, nice one!

About the money... when does your loan come in? it's like, ridiculously late isn't it, october sometime... try working out exactly what you're spending on everything and how much you are willing to earn to pay back each month sorta thing. My loan is about £300 less than my rent, and with food, travel, alcohol etc I'm gonna need to earn 2 grand, or about 50 per week... it seems a lot less if you work it all out like that.
Quote by Guitardude19
... bar work is fine but I cant get into that for some reason....
Bar owners are smart. Drunk chicks + Horny bartender = Big trouble

Let's see:
No cabbing.
No labouring
No bar work

Sell drugs? NO

Gigolo ????
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Bar owners are smart. Drunk chicks + Horny bartender = Big trouble

Let's see:
No cabbing.
No labouring
No bar work

Sell drugs? NO

Gigolo ????

Why no bar work? I can do bar work... And who says I would take advantage of drunk chicks?

>_>
Quote by Guitardude19
Why no bar work? I can do bar work... And who says I would take advantage of drunk chicks?

>_>
The bar owners know. I used to be a heavy drinker. I know all of them. I told them about you.

Sorry man, I was drunk at the time.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yay, nice one!

About the money... when does your loan come in? it's like, ridiculously late isn't it, october sometime... try working out exactly what you're spending on everything and how much you are willing to earn to pay back each month sorta thing. My loan is about £300 less than my rent, and with food, travel, alcohol etc I'm gonna need to earn 2 grand, or about 50 per week... it seems a lot less if you work it all out like that.

LOANS COME IN IN OCTOBER?

f*ck.
My loan comes in on 17th September woot!

I get £2004.40 not enough considering...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

f*ck.

Yeah, like the first week!

I was living on air last year til it came through

Oh and about your post after this one... nobody likes a show off
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah, like the first week!

I was living on air last year til it came through

Oh and about your post after this one... nobody likes a show off

I was kinda hoping it was gonna come through late September... although, actually, it comes through based on when your course starts, does it not?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I was kinda hoping it was gonna come through late September... although, actually, it comes through based on when your course starts, does it not?

No idea. I filled in my part of the application form then left my mum to fill in her part and send it off while I went to stay in Bristol... daft cow forgot to put my passport in so the application ended up going in late, I expect I'll get delays because of that. Hopefully it is late september, greedy unite pricks have already taken out my rent money and I'm living on air again...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

f*ck.

no, mid september. though if you're a first year, not til a few days after registration. so maybe october.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
yeah, my rent came out last Saturday- £281.95, and I'm not even moving in for another 2 or so weeks.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
no, mid september. though if you're a first year, not til a few days after registration. so maybe october.

ah good, thank God I'm a second year and not have to register again
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

Bugger! I'm still a first year.... crap crap crap. I need that money.
Hey, I had another couple of ideas:

A - Sell your guitar and gear.

B - Sell a kidney.

... personally I'd go with plan B
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Ideas for me or guitardude? because my kidneys are unwanted, I drink too much they hardly work anymore... Anyway, deliriumbassist... You're lucky you get to pay monthly!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Ideas for me or guitardude? because my kidneys are unwanted, I drink too much they hardly work anymore... Anyway, deliriumbassist... You're lucky you get to pay monthly!

Poundland are opening 75 new stores across the country, have a check to see if there'll be one near you.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Poundland are opening 75 new stores across the country, have a check to see if there'll be one near you.

Pfft, sarcasm?

Yeah... well... I don't pay ANY tuition fees in my second year
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
That was for G'dude. I would have guessed your kidneys would be feeb by now. In your case sell the Ibanez. ... or would trade down and get a bit of cash out of the deal, Mistress_Squier?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Universities have a hardship fund. Ask a lecturer etc. and they'll be able to tell you about it.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
@ SYK.... No no no no... the ibanez dies with me! I may claim to dislike it but anyone who touches it feels my wrath!

@ TeenBite... no that's only if you come from a low income family. It doesn't do bugger all if you have a parent with a half decent job who's just incredibly stingy or spends all her spare money on her alcoholicism meaning you don't see any of it...
It seems like you shouldn't go to uni this year. Stay at home and search for jobs and work every hour you can. You'll be able to get in somewhere like Tesco or a supermarket, which works out quite well pay-wise as you can get upto like £6.25 an hour.
The only problem with that is living with your family.

Thats a tough situation you're in, I wish you all the best mate.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Page 1 of 2