Hi, I have a U.S.A. Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster. The bridge is normall (classic Strat bridge for tremolo). I wanna install a Floyd Rose so that I can use the tremolo without getting out of tune.
Is it possible to fit a Floy Rose in my Strat without having to make new holes in my guitar? I want the wood to remain as it is. My guitar has 6 screw holes for the bridge

P.S. I don't want a tremolo that moves in the guitar body, like Ibanez's have. Just a normall one so that I can unbend the strings and maybe bend them a little.

Thanks
Just install locking tuners and maybe a new metal or roller nut; eventhough these aren't as stable as a properly setup floyd rose system, they do a pretty damn good job of keeping the guitar in tune and they're much easier to install.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Just install locking tuners and maybe a new metal or roller nut; eventhough these aren't as stable as a properly setup floyd rose system, they do a pretty damn good job of keeping the guitar in tune and they're much easier to install.

So I have to buy new locking tuners? What is the nut? Sorry I am from Greece, can't speak english well

Thanks
the nut is the little white, or black thing the strings rest on at the top of the neck/ bottom of the headstock, near the tuning pegs.
Quote by pl0x
the nut is the little white, or black thing the strings rest on at the top of the neck/ bottom of the headstock, near the tuning pegs.

Ok, so I could get a locking nut? This with the 2 (or 3?) big screws on it?
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Exactly.... I installed a Graphite nut on mine, and some Graphite Saddles, its made a huge difference in the stability of the tuning.... My strat has those tuners with the whole in the middle (the vintage ones) so they basically act as locking tuners essentially...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
no, not a locking nut.

Get graphite saddles, some locking tuners, and an LSR roller nut or Earvana compensating nut. If you can't afford either of them, a graphite nut works well too.

Graphite or ball bearing string ferrules will help as well
What is the difference between locking and compensating nut? The locking nut locks the strings, right? And the compensating nut?

My guitar has a hole behind the nut position, like most Strats have. How do I lock the strings at the locking nut? With screwdriver through that hole?

Thanks
A Locking nut bolts the strings at the nut and is what is typically seen with Floyds.

A Compensating nut is one designed to fix several intonation problems inherent to guitar necks. PRS fit these as standard and they do help to keep the guitar in tune all over the neck.

By getting a roller nut, you will get a ball bearing or roller that allows the string to glide on the nut and not get snagged or bulid up friction that will reduce tuning stability.

Graphite nuts and saddles do exactly the same job as a roller nut but use graphite as its material which has a very low friction rating allowing the stings to move in the nut without being hindered.

Locking tuners do the same job as a locking nut but allow you to lock the tuner rather than the string.

The least hassle to install is Graphite Saddles, Graphite nut/roller/compensated(all equally as easy to install, Id personally take the compensated nut as this will make the guitar sound sweeter and more in tune) and locking tuners.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Well, installing a FR will require drastic routing, Kahler makes a tremolo that requires none, but I don't know the name of it. I'll wait for Tubab0y and his kahler wisdom to come and clear that up.

As for wanting a strat trem to stay in tune, theres a way to set it up so it does. You can't do drastic whammy bar tricks like a Floyd, but you can move it up and down.
Follow this thread's instructions:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629891
sorry to steal the topic, but i have a similar question

how hard would it be to route a guitar with a standard 2 point trem so it'll fit a floyd?
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Routing is as easy as pie if you have a good router, the right bit and a well made jig/gate to route within.

Routing the actual holes should take 10 mins tops but you will want to spend much longer making up a decent jig so theres no mistakes. Plus you will be able to route other guitars too!

If you are serious about doing it get lots of cheap scrap wood to practice on. By practice i mean actually install it in the scrap to make sure you are 100% happy before attacking the real guitar.

Oh and for gods sake drill the post holes with a pillar drill. anything other than perfect post placement will mess up the trem in the long run.

Oh and remember that age old adage measure twice, cut once.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
A Locking nut bolts the strings at the nut and is what is typically seen with Floyds.

A Compensating nut is one designed to fix several intonation problems inherent to guitar necks. PRS fit these as standard and they do help to keep the guitar in tune all over the neck.

By getting a roller nut, you will get a ball bearing or roller that allows the string to glide on the nut and not get snagged or bulid up friction that will reduce tuning stability.

Graphite nuts and saddles do exactly the same job as a roller nut but use graphite as its material which has a very low friction rating allowing the stings to move in the nut without being hindered.

Locking tuners do the same job as a locking nut but allow you to lock the tuner rather than the string.

The least hassle to install is Graphite Saddles, Graphite nut/roller/compensated(all equally as easy to install, Id personally take the compensated nut as this will make the guitar sound sweeter and more in tune) and locking tuners.

OK, thanks for that!
Quote by XibanezedgeX
Well, installing a FR will require drastic routing, Kahler makes a tremolo that requires none, but I don't know the name of it. I'll wait for Tubab0y and his kahler wisdom to come and clear that up.

As for wanting a strat trem to stay in tune, theres a way to set it up so it does. You can't do drastic whammy bar tricks like a Floyd, but you can move it up and down.
Follow this thread's instructions:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629891

So you mean Kahler makes a tremolo that fits with 6 strings?
I checked the link out thanks
what about that special v trem or whatever its called...it looks like a floyd but its made for a strat super vee or something...sorry I cant remember
Quote by livrockdie
what about that special v trem or whatever its called...it looks like a floyd but its made for a strat super vee or something...sorry I cant remember

http://www.super-vee.com/

That piece loook great. That's what I wanted. It says that is fits on any 6-string Strat
Thanks
Last edited by SdKfz at Sep 5, 2007,