I'm building a guitar project for my HSC (final high school exam) in two weeks. It will have a Les Paul hardware setup, A Jazzmaster body and a PRS based headstock with two humbucker pickups. I'm just wondering what tone-wood i should use to get a nice warm sound that has brightness as well. My main tonal influences are Incubus (Morning-View era tone especially), Opeth, Dream Theater, Muse and Mars Volta. I play sort of heavy-ish progressive rock with lots of effects and complex chord patterns (i very rarely, if ever, play power-chords in my songs)

If it helps, the woods I am definitely using are Swamp Ash for the body and Indian Rosewood for the Fretboard. I'm really going for a nice warm PRS tone with it. It is solid body though.

Any other suggestions that you may have, I will also take on board such as pickups, hardware, tuners or woods and manufacturing tips, please, I am after as much advice as possible, a bit nervous about it.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
PRS use Mahogany with a Maple top on all their guitars to add brightness. You could try Basswood with a Swamp Ash top, that seems an interesting tonal combo.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^imo, swamp ash looks best as a solid body.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Whatever wood you use, you'd better hurry your ass up. What's the due date for Industrial Arts? All my brother's Art and Music stuff is already handed in.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Yeah, I'm pretty much set on the swamp ash body because it is bright and warm, plus I've played a PRS Swamp Ash Special and loved the sound of that.

What's a good neck material that will match Swamp Ash? I was thinking Walnut, but colourwise, it probably won't go.

Anyone wants to help with absolutely anything involved with it, I'm after lots of advice.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Whatever wood you use, you'd better hurry your ass up. What's the due date for Industrial Arts? All my brother's Art and Music stuff is already handed in.

Oh no, I'm starting Yr 12 next term, i'm in Yr 11 now. Year 12's start in Term 4 in NSW, and its the last 3 weeks of Term 3, i can start in 5 weeks and I've gotta plan. Lol, I'm not Yr 12 right now. Our school's projects were marked 2 weeks ago.I
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by IncubusMan999
Oh no, I'm starting Yr 12 next term, i'm in Yr 11 now. Year 12's start in Term 3 in NSW, and its the last 3 weeks of Term 2, i can start in 5 weeks and I've gotta plan. Lol, I'm not Yr 12 right now. Our school's projects were marked 2 weeks ago.I

Ah that's all good then, you had me worried if you were going to try and build a guitar in two weeks. That's the sort of deadlining I would have done on my HSC.

Are you from Sydney IncubusMan?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Ah that's all good then, you had me worried if you were going to try and build a guitar in two weeks. That's the sort of deadlining I would have done on my HSC.

Are you from Sydney IncubusMan?

Yeah that would be pretty adventurous. I'd be, to put it plain and simply, fucked.
lol.

Yeah I'm from Sydney. Baulkham Hills to be precise.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Morning view Incubus was pretty much recorded using Mikes Fender Jag/PRS through an AC-30 and a few other amps. Most of the mesas were done away with on that one.

Although your musical tastes are a bit eclectic to get from one guitar. I think I'd go for a guitar that really does on thing well rather than going for one that will be versatile. If you want the PRS sound then you really have to go Mahogany back maple cap and then make a choice between a mahogany/rosewood or maple/rosewood neck.

If you stick with the Swamp ash body then dont expect it to sound like a PRS unless you want a swamp ash special which sounds vastly different to customs and standards.

Incubus also use low/mid gain pickups which wont work so well for the Opeth/DT/Muse things. They will want much more power to do well.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Yeah I've played the swamp ash specials and they do sound different. I don't really want too much a PRS, just basically something that's got a Les Paul warmth and a bit of a Jazzmaster edge to it.

There's a few pickups that I know of that sort of get that sort of sound but they are expensive. What kind of Seymour Duncans will get that nice warm clean and warm distortion as well? I know Bareknuckles will do it nicely but they are real hard to get here and are tremendously expensive.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Any more suggestions of stuff or advice?
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Sep 8, 2007,