Poll: So, which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: So, which one?
GK
16 34%
Ashdown
31 66%
Voters: 47.
Ok guys, basically i am in dire need of a new amp and have narrowed it down to two possibly choices:

Gallien-Krueger Backline 600/Goldline 4x10 Stack
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600Goldline-4x10-Stack?sku=486004

ASHDOWN MAG 300H BUNDLE
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_mag_300h_bundle.htm
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
I vote Ashdown
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
From all the advice i've received about ashdown compared to the GK Backline series I say Ashdown too.
signature
I have the backline 600 head and I love the little thing. it pumps out some serious sound. so GK is my vote.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
I will admit i'm an ashdown fan over GK but i did take a good look at both amps and here's what I saw.

Ashdown cab: 8 ohms 350 watt handling.
GK cab: 8 ohms 400 watt handling.

while the GK does have more power handling ability it isn't by much and you won't get near that much power sent to the cab so since i believe ashdown cabs sound better that got my vote for ashdown because the extra 50watts handling isn't worth tone sacrifice.

both amp heads are 300 watts at 4 ohms but the cabinets are both 8 ohms so you'll only be getting about 150 watts when you start out. the good news is you can add an 8 ohm cabinet onto that (say a 15" or 18") and get the rest of your wattage.

Remember that every time you double your number of speakers your volume output goes up by a factor of 4 so really more speakers can equal more volume better than more wattage into one cabinet. Heck some companies even make 2x15's i believe.

I'd go for the ashdown because while the stacks are pretty close and the GK cab has a little more power handling the Ashdown will probably sound better.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
Remember that every time you double your number of speakers your volume output goes up by a factor of 4 so really more speakers can equal more volume better than more wattage into one cabinet. Heck some companies even make 2x15's i believe.

orly? Explain please.

If you have an amp that drives one cab at 4ohms (1 4x10 cab) and 300W but at 2ohms (2 4x10 cabs) at 600W you dont get twice the output volume. Volume to wattage does not work in a straight linear fashion, its a curve!

Also more volume =/= better amp. It is rare that you'll ever push a 300W amp to 11 or even need another cab for higher output.

Better amp = Better tone at both low and high volumes.

And this is coming from a man who's GAS-ing for a 400W all-valve bass stack, that's gonna be some serious sound.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i didn't say that twice the wattage equals twice the volume. in fact it's approximately 10x wattage equals twice the volume. but if you have lets say 200 watts coming from 1 speaker and in another room you have 200 watts coming from two speakers the two speakers will be considerably louder.......even when each of those two speakers are getting 100 watts....it's just how sound works.

EDIT: also he'll only be getting about 150 watts because the cabinet that comes with it is 8 ohms and the head is rated at 300 watts @ 4 ohms. So i was just saying he could add a cabinet to get the full power and more volume....if he needed it...or wanted it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Sep 3, 2007,
You just contradicted yourself...

you said that every time you double the speakers, ie another 4x10 cab it increases the "volume output by a factor of 4". That's quaddruppling the volume according to you isnt it? and you mentioned that adding more speakers would draw double the power from the amp...

Okay so you crank 2 200W amps, one with a single 10 inch speaker drawing just 100W and one with 2 10 inch speakers drawing a full 200W from the amp. It would only be 10% louder yet again according to you.

10% isnt much and if you ever crank a bass amp, you need a new amp.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
^^^^^^ 400w tube bass amp? i'm no expert but i've never seen an all tube bass amp for less than £1000 ($2000), i only wish i had that much money
I voted for GK. I have a Backline 600 at the moment, and I love it.

And Jonnomainman, which brand were you looking at for the 400 watt tube bass head? I have an Ampeg 8x10 at the moment, and I was thinking of pairing it up with the SVT-CL (300 watts all-tube).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
GK all the way. Nowt beats a huge-ass GK with a nice preamp.
I have that ashdown, but in combo form. (ashdown mag 300 C410T). it sounds awesome. i'm going to be purchasing a 1x15 extension cabinet sometime in the near future. it'll be even more awesome.

I vote Ashdown. GK Backline cabs aren't that great. Ashdown are that great.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I have that GK halfstack and it's serving me very well. I hope to add a 1x15 cab to it soon.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I forked out last year for a mag300 head, 2x10's and a 15, and it's the best money i've ever spent, the amps perfect for me.
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
I voted GK... I have that exact set up and I love it! Tone isn't bad either compared to what some people here are saying.
Quote by -zj*
I have that ashdown, but in combo form. (ashdown mag 300 C410T). it sounds awesome. i'm going to be purchasing a 1x15 extension cabinet sometime in the near future. it'll be even more awesome.

i'm just your opposite. i have the 1x15 and in a couple of months i'm getting the 4x10 extension
so, could u use the combo version of the ashdown stack, and add another cabb? would it make it louder if u got the same cab?
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^^^^^^ 400w tube bass amp? i'm no expert but i've never seen an all tube bass amp for less than £1000 ($2000), i only wish i had that much money

Check the Marshall VBA400, you can get a half stack for £1k new, the head alone is just £769.

Sounds awesome too!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
So guys could i use tht combo and add another cabinet or not, would it be louder
Quote by chinese_jazz

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
^yes you can and yes it would be louder.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
thanks!!!! so just one more question, how would i link the combo up to the other cabinet?
Quote by chinese_jazz

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
There should be outputs in the back for extra speakers, just plug it in back there, you'll have to buy a speaker lead though.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
A speaker lead is NOT a guitar lead. You gotta get special ones called "phono" cables.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
kk guys, thanks you have been a great help

Quote by chinese_jazz

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!