I had an idea for a thread!

I know there are a lot of people that browse the GB&C forum and are inspired by what other people are making, modifying or customising. I expect that there are a lot of people with old, redundant gear that they want to bring some life back to, or even just want to jazz up current equiptment a bit. A lot of people will out right know what they want to change or add to their gear in order to get the result they desire, but others may not... that's where this thread comes in.

Basically, this thread is aimed at those wanting to get into modding or customising their own stuff, but need inspiration or ideas as to what they could do. If you are one of those people, I first strongly advise that you read the sticky on getting started, and also have a good look at other projects in the forum for inspiration.

Here's how this thread will work:

1. Post a photo of what you want to customise, along with it's name and specs - including any modifications you might have already made. A photo of your own gear is preferable, but one yoinked off the internet somewhere will suffice.

2. Post what kind of modification you want to undertake; cosmetic (change the looks, i.e. a paintjob), functional (add a new function, i.e. a killswitch for a guitar, true bypass for a pedal), or tone-based (a change to the tonal qualities of your gear, i.e. new pickups).

3. Post what kind of thing you want to achieve - here might be a good point to reference other projects or other peices of equiptment. For example, do you want a new paintjob based on your favourite band but don't know what to include or where to start without making it look OTT or ametuerish? Or do you think your guitar could do with some new neat functions but don't really know what would be appropriate to your style of playing? If you know what you want to do to your gear, then this thread is pointless to you.

I'm hoping that the more experienced electricians/luthiers that use this forum will be able to suggest suitable modifications, but it's open to anyone. At the end of the day, this thread is supposed to give suggestions and inspire; it's up to the person who wants to customise their stuff to take or leave the suggestions they're given.

NEW! You may throw some unrelated ideas out there.
Have an idea for a modification that you want other people to know about? If you have done it yourself, post a pic and tell us how it went. Suggestions you haven't done yourself are also welcome, but say why you haven't done them (i.e. might not be suited to your style)

I'll add a few more things to this first post if and when they are needed. I hope this idea works out and people use it. I will post first (below).
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 3, 2007,
1. Okay, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic Studio

I've not made an modifications to it; it has two humbuckers (stock), a switch to flick between neck, bridge or both, two volume knobs, two tone knobs and a tune-o-matic style bridge.

2. I'm considering a new paintjob; it's starting to look pretty bashed and the paint has been chipped away in places. However, I'm not 100% on this, I might leave it as it is and go for the "relic" look. I also maybe want to add a few gadgets and have a fiddle with the tone. I play rock; not really metal but definitly in the higher gain end of things.

3. So yeah, I'm not sure on the paintjob, but if i decided on changing it, I don't really have much inspiration as to what I'd want to change it to. Definitly something original, no EVH stripes! I don't really want any symbols or anything, maybe one or two colour tones, definitly bold designs. As far as functions go, I want something that I'd actually use... I considered a Floyd Rose but was put off by the amount of work it would take to install one into a Les Paul. Tone wise, the stock pick ups aren't great, but I have no idea where to start there.
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 3, 2007,
instead of a floyd rose why dont u get a Bigsby trem? They are better for Gibsons
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Get a Kahler x200 series! No routing required at all!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Great idea for a thread... TS, get your valves yet?

And I'd personally just let it relic. Although I would also change the hardware for chrome and get some pups with chrome covers on, that flat black is horribly samey looking...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by tubab0y
Get a Kahler x200 series! No routing required at all!

Wow, I just looked them up and I've got to say I am indeed interested in one of those! Is there a delear in the UK?

Quote by MrCarrot
Great idea for a thread... TS, get your valves yet?

And I'd personally just let it relic. Although I would also change the hardware for chrome and get some pups with chrome covers on, that flat black is horribly samey looking...

Yeah I did, thanks a lot for you advice with them, my amp sounds great, even through the low gain channel (high gain channel is still broken )! But it's gonna be good for recording (setting up this evening, starting tommorrow).

Ah yes, pickup covers would look great. I might make a mock image of what my guitar will look like with the chrome hardware & new bridge.
Quote by Mathamology
Wow, I just looked them up and I've got to say I am indeed interested in one of those! Is there a delear in the UK?

Yeah I did, thanks a lot for you advice with them, my amp sounds great, even through the low gain channel (high gain channel is still broken )! But it's gonna be good for recording (setting up this evening, starting tommorrow).

Ah yes, pickup covers would look great. I might make a mock image of what my guitar will look like with the chrome hardware & new bridge.

The High Gain channel is broken?? I'd take it to a tech...

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
The High Gain channel is broken?? I'd take it to a tech...

Yes, that is quickly becoming my only option but the low gain does the job for now

Quote by s.r.v.
^well it does appeal to the goth crowd

At the time, i just wanted a nice black Les Paul, I'm not a goth

Quote by s.r.v.
kahlers website has dealer lists for the UK under links

Yeah, I checked that out, but couldn't find the bridge on there anywhere
I was hoping more for a thread where I could throw out ideas for guitars that I would never do to my own... out of either laziness, lack of interest, or lack of money/talent/etc...

But I do have some cool ideas bottle up in there.

On the goth Les Paul:

I would steel wool the hardware (accelerate the relicing on it) so that it shines up a little.

I wouldn't repaint it at all... because the flat black getting beat up just sounds cool. Use accents on the guitar to bring something else out of it. All flat black is well.... pretty flat.

Oh, and if you're bored with the sound... new pickups always change the whole attitude.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
I was hoping more for a thread where I could throw out ideas for guitars that I would never do to my own... out of either laziness, lack of interest, or lack of money/talent/etc...

But I do have some cool ideas bottle up in there.

Go ahead, that'd be cool. I edited the first post to allow other people to do this also

Quote by zeroyon
On the goth Les Paul:

I would steel wool the hardware (accelerate the relicing on it) so that it shines up a little.

I wouldn't repaint it at all... because the flat black getting beat up just sounds cool. Use accents on the guitar to bring something else out of it. All flat black is well.... pretty flat.

Oh, and if you're bored with the sound... new pickups always change the whole attitude.

I'd be a bit apprehensive to start scratching away at my hardware... I'm also not 100% on the hardware i've got, I might get some chrome hardware.

I think I'll stick with the beaten up relic idea. Do you think it's worth letting time take its toll, or maybe doing some makeshift scratches? The hard part is making them look natural...
if you go chrome, get a roller bridge! mines coming in a few days, and i cant wait!

and to go vintage, some people chuck it down the stairs, or drag it behind a car (with neck and electronics off of course ) but for you it seems like its getting plenty of natural wear
do a burst.. but not the usual bibson burst where it looks like a tear drop but one that follows the body lines. I like red center with semi transparent black on the inside ring and opaque black on the outside and no burst on the back jst plain black. Leave the hardware black but polish it so the whole thing is shiny.
Alright, I've got an Epi LP Special II, amazing sounding thing, no need for anything sound-wise. Blood red with black hardware, only like 6 weeks old, no damage, no mods other than I raised the bridge so it's got like a half inch of action (I play better that way.....) and I put the pickups at wierd angles to get the perfect tone....I'm thinking maybe add a custom 2 peice pickguard to cover just the horns...one crazy idea I had was to carve the top since it's a flattop...

Pic (Not mine):
http://hup.hu/old/images/trey/private_stuffs/Music/Les_Paul/epiphone_les_paul_special_II.png

Any suggestions to mod the look but not the sound would be greatly appreciated.
I wish someone would paint up a guitar like a classic 60's Ford GT40:

It would look cool as hell... maybe even with numbers on it.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
I wish someone would paint up a guitar like a classic 60's Ford GT40:

It would look cool as hell... maybe even with numbers on it.

I agree! Here's a model, you can change the colors ...

zeroyon, do it on one of your 51s.

My picture didn't post.. I don't know what happened to it.

Anyway, thats the one I'm talking about... but it looks a lot cooler in photos.
My Music
I got boared and designed this the other day. Someone should build it.

the inspiration is a razorback'd explorer. a "Raz-plorer"
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by godisasniper
Alright, I've got an Epi LP Special II, amazing sounding thing, no need for anything sound-wise. Blood red with black hardware, only like 6 weeks old, no damage, no mods other than I raised the bridge so it's got like a half inch of action (I play better that way.....) and I put the pickups at wierd angles to get the perfect tone....I'm thinking maybe add a custom 2 peice pickguard to cover just the horns...one crazy idea I had was to carve the top since it's a flattop...

Pic (Not mine):

Any suggestions to mod the look but not the sound would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really have any suggestions for the pick guard, because I don't really know what you mean by two-piece to cover the horns... I thought there was only one horn!

Also, the carving will probably not work, as you need extra body thickness to cut into. A carved top LP will be an extra few millimeters thicker than a flat body

EDIT: Guys, giving suggestions for hypothetical mods is great, but I think priority should be given to those asking for help with their own stuff, otherwise their post gets lost in a sea of random modification ideas.
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 6, 2007,
i have a ****ty strat copie that i wanna mod... ive p[ulled it all appart... thinking of filling in all the cavitys from the wamy and putting a tunomatic bridg on... also think of fitting a single humbucker witha kill switch... any suggestions for paint jobs + other mods?
My piuckguard idea, to clarify, was to have a two peice pickguard, covering the horn and....I don't know what you call it, where the upper horn would be.

EDIT: I understand what you mean about the carving thing.

Also, yesterday, I went over the Epi logo with a red sharpie, flipped the truss rod cover over and did the same, and it looks awesome.
Last edited by godisasniper at Sep 7, 2007,
so i wanted to mod my bass a little. i already had a kill switch installed although i doubt you can see it. its between the tone knob and the input. i was thinking of modifying a bigsby B5 vibrato to fit my bass. currently i have a stock bridge on. i have a question about the bigsby though. since they are made for guitar they come with a bridge and a tailpiece. will i need to install the bridge or can i just install the tailpiece? everything is stock except the killswitch. any ideas i will take into consideration cuz im tryin to make this my project bass out of the three basses i have. thanks.

Attachments:
Copy of 1003071322-00.jpg