That'll be because there are lots of people in emo bands drop-tuning and playing root notes, who pick the Thunderbird because they think it looks good and because they can't afford (or aren't worthy of) something more solid - playability be damned, since they're not doing anything complicated anyway.

Just because a lot of people buy something, doesn't mean it's any good.
Quote by Bruce Got Dro
I was just wondering because it's the top selling bass on Guitarcenter.com.

unfortunatly, stores use those words "top seller" to boost sales for slow moving merchandise.
thats just marketing. i find it very un-likely that the T-bird is their top seller. they are sub-par basses. your Ibanez is a better playing and sounding bass. good luck
Well not only that but I was reading all the reviews on it and people seemed happy with it. I myself think I'm just going to pick up a Fender P bass but I like to look at all the options.
Save yo' money and get a nicer bass that is worth upgrading to. LIke you said, the Fender P bass is awesome and also look at the Jazz. Remember, Ibanez make quality basses too.
signature
That would be a downgrade....

But the Thunderbird would be great in the sense that you upgrade it until it's actually worth something
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Our bassist has one and I think it's really good, not as good as an actual Thunderbird.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Confused4930
That would be a downgrade....

But the Thunderbird would be great in the sense that you upgrade it until it's actually worth something

Not so much a down grade as a side-grade as Fitz always says

It's not worth it because you'll find that for the money it won't be better than your current bass.
I have an Ibanez SR505 and it is wonderful, surprisingly cheap too.

Also ESP's are good but i found you need to spend quite a bit more money to get one that is better than an Ibanez

Fender's are good basses but not my kind of bass
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200
if you have the bass i think you have, it should last you a while longer. save your money and upgrade to a truly good bass.
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
-1 John 2:17
Quote by jsbassboy
Not so much a down grade as a side-grade as Fitz always says

It's not worth it because you'll find that for the money it won't be better than your current bass.

Correct. I have a pseudo-formula that I apply when considering upgrades. In my opinion, if a bass is really an upgrade, the price of the bass you have in mind should be roughly twice the price you paid for your current bass (in most cases). That way, you'll find that the new bass will totally replace your old one, hence the upgrade. If it's less than twice the price, you'll find yourself using both your new bass and your old bass. They'd be in the same bracket, hence the 'side-grade'.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yeah in actuality the Squier affinity P bass is probably thier "top seller" thats my guess
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
a jazz bass is always an upgrage IMO
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
hey dude just started and just saw that u wanted 2 know bout thunderbird epiphone well i have 1 myself (sunburst color) it is really kool the guitar and its really easy to do passing notes etc and the frets r easy 2 press. i myself use precision bass rather than jazz, (dont like the thiness of the neck) but hey anyway its u decison at theend of it.

P.S The body of the thunderbird bass is quite big if ur used to playing with fender squier etc