Page 1 of 2
It's a simple question:

Why are the power chord bands hated so much? People always say that they are unoriginal, but that's not it! They can be very original! Some guy made a "why are power chord blues not hated?" thread, and i have that question too! Often times bands are pretty much following some sort of blues progression. And power chords can be useful too! There are so many chords that can't be done open (B) and variations that can't be done open (Cm),

Why do u guys hate the power chord bands!!!!?
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Anal.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
First, that makes no sense, and I have no idea who The Madcap is, so i don't know
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
^ not really most all green day songs are power chords hahahah anyways thread has been made before stop trying to be cool , madcap owns this haha.
Quote by bry0n
First, that makes no sense, and I have no idea who The Madcap is, so i don't know

The thread is on the first page...it's called Why is that...

Next time search.
Yeah. Power chords are the simplest to play without any theory knowledge. You don't have to know that D minor and F major are in the same scale, with a power chord you can just play the D and F chord and not worry about Major or Minor.
It's really just people being nit-picky. Most of the time, if you run into one of them, you can just ask them if they've sold more records than whatever band they're referring to. They'll generally respond and bitch about marketing and mainstream music for the masses and whatever, but hey, that simplicity is obviously more appealing than the technical prowess some bands put out.

...and most of the time, those bands are actually capable of quite more, but they'd rather keep it simple and have fun.
Away Message: I fell out of my chair, this may take awhile.
Last edited by Covin at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
^ not really most all green day songs are power chords hahahah anyways thread has been made before stop trying to be cool , madcap owns this haha.

I said lots of bands

Not all bands
It's ironic knowing that the so called ''Power-chord bands'' will have more commercial sucess than any of the uber shredders who only tend to be known on the underground level.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
i really dont know, but most guitarists i know dislike the 'power chord' bands because alot of people that dont know sh*t about guitar think theyre amazing
my cousin thinks the "solo" for holiday by green day is the best solo ever. i literally cried
i personally like some of the power chord bands because they can be really cathcy, but i dislike them when people think theyre the coolest stuff out there
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

You know that GN'R and Nirvana use a lot of power chords right?
That how many records you've sold saying is stupid.

Also, who cares? You like what you like, some people bitch about it. Now, run along.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by pucci6d6
i really dont know, but most guitarists i know dislike the 'power chord' bands because alot of people that dont know sh*t about guitar think theyre amazing
my cousin thinks the "solo" for holiday by green day is the best solo ever. i literally cried
i personally like some of the power chord bands because they can be really cathcy, but i dislike them when people think theyre the coolest stuff out there

Why are they not allowed to think they're the coolest stuff out there?
It's ironic knowing that the so called ''Power-chord bands'' will have more commercial sucess than any of the uber shredders who only tend to be known on the underground level.

True, but then fame has never been a good mesurement of musical capability. Or, for that matter, whats good or not. Even tough the latter of course is very subjective, I think most people agree that Yngwe Malmsteen is better than Brittey Spears.
Quote by Izz
You know that GN'R and Nirvana use a lot of power chords right?

I already explained this in another thread , get out of this one go to madcaps one and converse there people....
Quote by GiantRaven
Why are they not allowed to think they're the coolest stuff out there?

Because it's not ubershredz0r obviously.
Quote by bry0n
It's a simple question:

Some guy made a "why are power chord blues not hated?" thread, and i have that question too!

Why do u guys hate the power chord bands!!!!?

why he had to make another one, i dont know.

BUT
anyways.
power chord bands just kinda get boring. a band with only powerchords will bore you to death.
and yes, all bands use power chords.
but a power chord band is a band that uses all power chords, like greenday and pop stuff like that.
i cant think of a good sig....
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

i noticed that your screename had Nirvana and RATM in it

i love RATM,they are probaly my favorite band,nirvana is ok
but

they use power chords like crazy

go home n00b
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Ok **** you dude I didn't want to have to repost my reply from the other thread here , first off screen name created a long time ago and I dont even listen to them much anymore. I never slacked bands for using them i slacked them for OVER using them. YOU are the noob for not going to the right thread idiot.

( From Madcaps thread which is on the first ****in' page on the pit )

"Madcap , hats off to a very good thread great question. Honestly , blues music can be very simple but it can be very complex as well. Stevie Ray could bash out power chords all day , but Blink 182 couldn't even do the intro to Texas Flood most likely. Most of the "power chord" bands listed are bland and generic and do stuff for the money. I will say this a lot of my favorite bands use power chords all the time , its about USE not OVER use. Metallica in case , power chords all the time , but they have shown us that they have the talent and use them in their own way. Guns N Roses , nothing but power chords. Aerosmith , yup you guessed it power chords. It's all about using stuff in your own way. I can respect a band that makes original music, if they use power chords or not , it needs to be good in the first place. Most blues music is good because it comes from the soul , it comes from true feeling and angst. While blink , green day etc just seem to be mindless crap.

EDIT: Until a "power chord" band can put out something any where near this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAxLgGVRV64

It might be worth looking into.....

ts not the depressing lyrics ( metallica still kick ass in my book ) and no solo's ( I love Misfits and Nirvana as well ). Its the blandness , predictability and sheer annoyance of it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztpFPn2Q-Q

Music is created to cater to pre teens and tweens , its not personal experience , if it was they wouldn't be whining about their teen years.

Good Use of Power Chords

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtyqIRMJLCs

- For god's sake they play the A chord the entire song , then go into a power chord riff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-hEyVQDRA

- Intro is straight power chords , but it was original and fresh."
Many power chord bands are bad, mmkay? Some are not, but in that case they've got actual time signatures (i.e. 4/4 gets boring) and the solos aren't 100% pentatonic.
I'm a communist. Really.
someone name me one band who has never used anything but powerchords. good luck with that. its a lame argument. all bands have at least some guitar lines.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Powerchords are just like any other chords, they just sound better than open chords when you play with lots of distortion. A G is a G whether you play it as an open chord or a powerchord. I really don't get what the fuzz is about.
I also don't see anyone complaining about bands that "Only use open chords".
Quote by GiantRaven
Er...no it isn't...

Lol Que?

Maybe I'm not up to date with the terminology here, but to me this is G as an Open chord:
e|-3--| 
B|-3--| 
G|-0--| 
D|-0--| 
A|-2--| 
E|-3--|
Quote by Rambo-Conny
Lol Que?

Maybe I'm not up to date with the terminology here, but to me this is G as an Open chord:
e|-3--| 
B|-3--|
G|-0--|
D|-0--|
A|-2--|
E|-3--|

Yes

That is completly different from the G power chord
if this isnt the most typical noob guy coming in and immediately doing this kind of crap then idk what is...
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by GiantRaven
Er...no it isn't...

Lol Que?

e|-3--| 
B|-3--| 
G|-0--| 
D|-0--| 
A|-2--| 
E|-3--|

And this is G as a power chord:
e|---| 
B|---| 
G|---| 
D|-5-| 
A|-5-| 
E|-3-| 

They're both G's, eh?

EDIT: I don't know what's going on here. Ignore my previous post.
Last edited by Rambo-Conny at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by Rambo-Conny
Lol Que?

e|-3--| 
B|-3--|
G|-0--|
D|-0--|
A|-2--|
E|-3--|

G power chord = R+5+Octave
G =R+3+5

EDIT: They're not the same, the root note of both chords is G, but they sound differently.
Look at the notes that are in each chord, and play them both, they just don't sound the same.
Last edited by Hells_Bell at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by bry0n
Hello! I am The Madcap.
Quote by Rambo-Conny
Lol Que?

e|-3--| 
B|-3--|
G|-0--|
D|-0--|
A|-2--|
E|-3--|

And this is G as a power chord:
e|---| 
B|---|
G|---|
D|-5-|
A|-5-|
E|-3-|

They're both G's, eh?

The G chord you posted there is a G Major. It takes the 1st, 3rd and 5th intervals from the G Major scale

The G power chord you posted is the 1st, 5th and Octave of the G Major (or Minor) scale

I'd say thats pretty different to be perfectly honest

Also, the open G is a major chord whilst the power chord is neither major or minor because it is based on perfect intervals
I also don't get why the metal elitists don't seem to acknowledge that most metal rhythm is also power-chord based, just faster and in drop-D.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I did , most rock and metal is power chord based. Look at my example

Nightrain and Master Of Puppets
Quote by Wayward_Son
I also don't get why the metal elitists don't seem to acknowledge that most metal rhythm is also power-chord based, just faster and in drop-D.

because metal elitists wont acknowlege anything that would prove them wrong.

and i also like the "well, they use them more creatively" statement. that always makes me laugh.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Power chords sound better than full chords most of the time. I like music that sounds good,weather its easy or hard to play. I hate people who try to over complicate things add odd chords and fancy arpeggios to there solos, when power chords and simple scaler stuff sounds better!
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

What on earth does most all mean?

Or do you mean "not really most, all Green Day songs..."

Because if you think all Green Day songs "are power chords" - you've got some serious thinking to do.

Also, to anyone who thinks guitarists from bands who use power chords a lot are "untalented", you've got some serious thinking to do too. Unless of course the guitarist you are referring to can't actually play the guitar well.

Which rules out pretty much every band you've ever heard of.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Page 1 of 2