After a great deal of arguing with my parents they finally caved and agreed to let me get a drum set.Only thing is I've never played the drums before and I have no idea what brands are good and what sucks.Since I'm only learning I don't wanna spend a ton of money on a set, but I don't want to buy a hunk of crap either.What do the drummers of UG recommend?
WOOAAAAHHHH
TAMA, Pearl, and Ludwig are the best brands. Also they have some good starter drums. In Cymbals I'd say Zildjian or Sabian.
A good starter set is a CB, the shells are made of maple, I have had one for a few years now. The cymbals you get with them are rather cheap but will last you a long time. The snare drum will need to be replaced once you get better and start recording, but the main set (shells) are decent, I bought my rig used for less than 200 bucks, and have not had any problems, just update some of the wquipment as you get better. Remember the trick to making any set sound good is TUNING..you would tune a guitar so TUNE your drums, RELIGIOUSLY!!!! If you know how to tune you can take a piece of **** set and make it sound better than a 1000 dollar set!!
I had no idea drums had to be tuned..How can you tell if they're out of tune?
WOOAAAAHHHH
Maybe a Yamaha Custom Stage Noveau if you know you are gonna' be serious about it.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Remember that you dont need 90284390 toms, i used to be like that, its fun but not needed. 2-3 is enough, crash and ride is all you need. But to get good fast, is to start using nothing, and work your way up, thats how my teacher taught me, and ive impressed alot of people. this is off topic but still related to the kit its self
try using just bass and snare for a day, then throw in a hi hat, then switch it around, and then ad a tom and work your way up, it shows that you can do some crazy stuff with 1 tom, a crash, a hi hat bass and snare, mmy point is, although it looks really cool, dont go for anything more then 5 pc kit even if its a really good deal as your first kit.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by Ross724
I had no idea drums had to be tuned..How can you tell if they're out of tune?

theyre actually thirds apart believe it or not (atleast im pretty sure), tuning usually depends on the style, eg rock uses a lower tuning, for the tom stuff. basically if your toms are not even close to sounding as a part of one kit, theyre bad haha
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
Remember that you dont need 90284390 toms, i used to be like that, its fun but not needed. 2-3 is enough, crash and ride is all you need. But to get good fast, is to start using nothing, and work your way up, thats how my teacher taught me, and ive impressed alot of people. this is off topic but still related to the kit its self
try using just bass and snare for a day, then throw in a hi hat, then switch it around, and then ad a tom and work your way up, it shows that you can do some crazy stuff with 1 tom, a crash, a hi hat bass and snare, mmy point is, although it looks really cool, dont go for anything more then 5 pc kit even if its a really good deal as your first kit.

Yeah, I get what you're saying I don't even want some crazy drum set.I just want something to learn on until I get better.
BTW I hate your sig!!!
WOOAAAAHHHH
I'm thinking about going with this set.
Good idea?Bad Idea?

Or maybe this one.
WOOAAAAHHHH
Last edited by Ross724 at Sep 3, 2007,
CB are good starter kits.
I got a really crappy cheap one off eBay, then got new cymbals, new bass pedal ect.
Quote by Ross724
I'm thinking about going with this set.
Good idea?Bad Idea?

Looks fine to me, go for it.
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
Quote by hyroglyph!c
theyre actually thirds apart believe it or not (atleast im pretty sure), tuning usually depends on the style, eg rock uses a lower tuning, for the tom stuff. basically if your toms are not even close to sounding as a part of one kit, theyre bad haha

well, you learn somethin every day, can they go out of tune?
Quote by bluemoon05
well, you learn somethin every day, can they go out of tune?

does your guitar go out of tune after strumming it hard for about 2 hours?

Yes, they do go out of tune. Watch full concerts of drummers live, you'll notice that they'll often tune between songs.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows