Hi all, sorry to send this really noob question but i just need to make sure i get this right as i dont want to break my amp. Plus ive lost the instructions manual.

I have a marshall jcm 800 half stack and have currently bought a mxr 10 band eq. Ive played with the mxr into the normal input of my amp but have been told it makes a much better difference if i use it through the effects loop.

Am i right in thinkin i just plug my guitar into the input jack of the mxr pedal and then jst connect the mxr output jack to the effects loop on my amp?

If not, please advise how.

Nice one, Si.
www.myspace.com/bluecollars

My Gear
Fender telecaster deluxe 72
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall JCM 800 100w head
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
This is what you aneed for EQ in the loop Guitar>Amp>Effects OUT> EQ> Effects IN. But theres not much point using the EQ in the loop really, your amp's EQ controls work just as well. The Eq would be more useful in the front of the amp to shape the pre distortion EQ which will give you a ton mopre control over your distortion sound. Not to mention you can use it as a booster in front to give you more distortion.
no, plug your guitar into the input. then put the pedal in the effects loop, there should be a effects in and effects out, out goes into the input of the pedal, and in goes into the output of the pedal.
Quote by JohnnyLovesYou
This is what you aneed for EQ in the loop Guitar>Amp>Effects OUT> EQ> Effects IN. But theres not much point using the EQ in the loop really, your amp's EQ controls work just as well. The Eq would be more useful in the front of the amp to shape the pre distortion EQ which will give you a ton mopre control over your distortion sound. Not to mention you can use it as a booster in front to give you more distortion.

Take it its best putting the eq after my distortion? Or wud it be best putting it before it?

Nice one for the response by the way.

To the poster above, sorry but you confused me. have read your post a few times but ive only got an input and output on my eq, ur post kinda makes out though i need 3 jacks? Correct me if im wrong please.

Nice one, si

My Gear
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
On the back of your amp should be two jacks, one labeled effects loop IN and one labeled effects loop OUT. Connect the input of the MXR to the OUT of the effects loop, and the output of the MXR to the IN of the effects loop. Simple.
Quote by guitarted
On the back of your amp should be two jacks, one labeled effects loop IN and one labeled effects loop OUT. Connect the input of the MXR to the OUT of the effects loop, and the output of the MXR to the IN of the effects loop. Simple.

Then just plug my guitar into the front of the amp? Sorry if thats right stupid just want make sure for definate. Nice one

My Gear
Fender squire strat
Crafter acoustic
Boss ME-50
MXR 10 band EQ
EHX DMM
Marshall 1960a cab 4x12
Boss BR-1600
Understand how the effects loop works, and the difference in routing, then try it both ways and see which one does what you want.

The effects loop takes the signal from the preamp and sends it first through the effect, then back into the power amp. That means the amp's internal EQ has already been added. It's also available to all channels of a two or three channel amp, since the channels are usually different preamps or preamp sections through one power amp. You get any effects run inline, plus the preamp EQ and any other effects used in the effects loop all going into the power amp which only raises the overall volume level, plus a bit of power tube distortion and compression if it's a tube type power amp.

Run inline, between guitar and amp, the signal does not go through the preamp's EQ first, and you'll get a difference in sound. It also reduces the cord clutter at your feet. Running through the effects loop means an extra pair of cords unless you turn it on and leave it on and don't need easy access. Then 2 short cords and set it on top of the amp works fine. That's how I run my analog delay, always on.

Which way is best depends on which sounds best to you. My Boss 10 band EQ seems to work better inline, through the effects loop it seems to add a bit of distortion or clipping I can't dial out by lowering the gain.

This part:

Am i right in thinkin i just plug my guitar into the input jack of the mxr pedal and then jst connect the mxr output jack to the effects loop on my amp?

I think that may depend on the amp itself. My Peavey MX will work that way, it's actually very good for a preamp/signal processing unit that provides everything you need in the way of sounds. It would not be the way to go with your EQ if you want other effects and the preamp section of the amp too. The standard routing has been handled nicely already by guitarted and others.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...