My band is in the process of recording an album, and in one of our songs we decided to use an Ian Mackaye spoken-word sample

So to make ourselves feel relatively important, we sent him a mail about it and asking for his "permission" to use it

He replied back saying "of course you can use it, send me a copy of the album when it's done"

I thought it was pretty decent of him to reply to an unknown band in Dubai and politely ask for a copy of the album

Respect for Ian Mackaye goes up quite a bit in my book.......
That's pretty cool
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
how in the hell did you find out how to contact him?
thats pretty cool though man.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
dude that's awesome.... ian mackaye is a very cool dude... i met him once at a show
Awesome.

My band gave him a demo, ask him what he thought of billy raygun.
brnh.bandcamp.com
thats pretty awsome, but it'd be awsomer if you replaced "ian mackaye" with "henry rollins" then it'd fucking EPIC

k, so i may as well say it, who wants to make a Henry Rollins man-love group hereo n UG?

but seriously TS, that is pretty sweet, lucky.
Despite anything Nemo says, Ian Mackaye seems like a really cool guy.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
yeah this made me like him a bit more, but as i still havent met ihm personally, i cant decide on how much i like him.

this made ihm a bit cooler tho.
Quote by original=punk
nuh-uh i have the WWHRD avatar.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/wwhrd/

theres the url for the group
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
yeah im the feller in adarsh's band who contacted ian about the sampling, i just did it by email and i expected to just get someone from dischord, but he answerd back and hes so down to earth and so unrockstar that you dont be all OMFGsTARSTRUCKZ after talking him. super guy
I used to write Ian letters a while back. I should start doing that again.

Can you send me a tape of your band, I'll send you one of mine. I'm insteresting in hearing what punk from Dubai is like. I can send you a buncha cool tape of unknown bands from the south to give to people out there. It'd be awesome to build up a Alabama/Chattanooga - Dubai connection like we have with Brooklyn and Milwaukee
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
yeah man im totally down with that, we have some highly medicore stuff that we recorded a long time back that we're not pleased with at all, but once we finish up the recording of our 9 Track EP that we're in the process of (the reason this thread was made - about the sampling of ian on one song) we'll be sure to send you some stuff man - we've finished tracking drums+bass, and now were just waiting on guitar/vocals, mix it, and we'll send it down to you for your release, send me your address in a PM buddy.

EDIT: Dude, i just realised your from huntsville alabama and you used to mail ian alot right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ty04JdTBA

thats the video we're sampling from (the part around the middle about no market for new ideas), but at the end i think he may be talking about you
Last edited by holidayincambod at Sep 3, 2007,
You shouldnt have bothered to ask. Ian never bothered to ask alec if he could use his music, let alone if he could take alecs band to do it.
Quote by holidayincambod
yeah man im totally down with that, we have some highly medicore stuff that we recorded a long time back that we're not pleased with at all, but once we finish up the recording of our 9 Track EP that we're in the process of (the reason this thread was made - about the sampling of ian on one song) we'll be sure to send you some stuff man - we've finished tracking drums+bass, and now were just waiting on guitar/vocals, mix it, and we'll send it down to you for your release, send me your address in a PM buddy.

EDIT: Dude, i just realised your from huntsville alabama and you used to mail ian alot right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ty04JdTBA

thats the video we're sampling from (the part around the middle about no market for new ideas), but at the end i think he may be talking about you

Yeah I used to live in Alabama. I sent him letters about starting a label but not about XBRX my friend Sean probably sent that stuff to him, he's from Mobile. My address is pretty public knowledge it's this:

David Hale
Box 0972
950 Main St.
Worcester, MA 01610
U$A

Send everything you can I'll send ya a **** ton back. If you figure out how to get free copies where you live I can send you zines to pass out.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!