im looking at getting one of these because i have real difficulty trying to record stuff with my digitech jamman. im not a professional guitarist, and dont intend to be, but id like something to record a few tracks and jam with on my pc.

i already have a $300 looper pedal, so it seems kind of ridiculous to buy a $70 piece of pc-based recording equipment, but i just cant get the hang of the jamman (its a jamman 2, btw) and im even considering selling it.

ive got the freeware program audicity already installed on here, but its very basic and i dont have the 1/4" to 1/8" cord i need right now.

is this a good idea? is the software from line 6 any good? amp models/effects any good? on par atleast?

thanks
they're pretty solid for what your looking for. i use the toneport just to mess around and record stuff. i've tryed recording my band with it and it went awful, but you can do some really good stuff just working with it by yourself
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
I just bought on of these today. Installed the software, hooked it up, and made my first recording in just a couple of minutes (first time ever trying to record anything). So needless to say it's easy to setup and works well. I was using audacity as well to do the actual recording. The only problem I've found so far is that it appears you can't listen to what you play live over the computer speakers? Dont know for sure, maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere. Otherwise I've enjoyed it the short while I've had it.
you can play the sound you just need to hook speakers to the actual toneport, i find it easier just to plug some headphones in using a 1/8 - 1/4 inch jack adapter
just an update:

i got it today at about 2pm, messed around with it for a total of about 4 hours today and im quite impressed---not so much at the effects and models but for the customization available. at first i was mad because i thought it came with recording software of its own, even though audacity works fine, i was just disappointed. their customer service appears to be great. you can import tracks from your hard drive or a cd; looks to be useful for those cds that come with instructional books. you get a free 6 month subscription to rolling stone, too (like i really care though...). im going to sign up for the guitarport online thing tomorrow and try it out because you can get all kinds of lessons and songs for free, but its just a 30 day trial.

anyway, cant really tell yet, but it seems to be worth $69.

oh, one downside is the lack of a drum machine (for some reason i thought the software included one) but the metronome is pretty cool because you can customize which type of drum beat you want on each beat of the measure.
I thought all the toneports came with a copy of Ableton Live Lite....well they talk about it in the MF discription:

Quote by MF.com
A special Line 6 edition of Ableton Live Lite integrates seamlessly with the TonePort UX1, enabling you to throw down tracks with ease. And the powerful included drivers mean low-latency recording with almost any recording software.

well they talk about it but never really say it comes with the unit.....
Audacity is a good program to use for now. You can always bump up to Cakewalk Sonar later on for more editing and mastering control.
ahh just looked at the box with closer detail. it has a feature checklist for the GX, UX1, and UX2. it says the UX's have ableton live recording software, but not the GX... sure wish they would have said that more clearly somewhere else, though.
I have Guitarport, which is basically the same thing except it doesn't do vocals, and there's no recording software included. It's great for playing around with all the models and effects. IMO the sounds and tone you get are pretty high quality. Since I just got a crappy amp right now, I use the Guitarport most of the time.

I use audacity for recording and the sound quality is great considering the cost.
Quote by furin121
I just bought on of these today. Installed the software, hooked it up, and made my first recording in just a couple of minutes (first time ever trying to record anything). So needless to say it's easy to setup and works well. I was using audacity as well to do the actual recording. The only problem I've found so far is that it appears you can't listen to what you play live over the computer speakers? Dont know for sure, maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere. Otherwise I've enjoyed it the short while I've had it.

You need to put the sound cable or whatever its called into the back of the toneport (or front) then into speakers, monitor etc, then you can here is as you play, or you can just use headphones.