Ok, so I am currently looking for a new amp that I can use to practice with a band and possibly play some small-medium venues. I currently have a Crate GT65 which is a SS piece of **** . I play mainly in the metal/progressive styles like Nevermore, DT, SX, etc... I've been reading through other threads and almost everyone recommends a tube amp, so that is what I want. The problem is which one. I have $400-$500 and maybe a little more if its worth it. The main two I have been seeing are the Valveking and B-52, but are there any other good ones you recommend? Also, if I decide to get a B-52, should i get the AT112 or 212 (I've heard 100w isn't necessary)?

Thanks

Aaron C.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The B-52 AT-112 is plenty of power. It will be 3 times as loud as your current amp and the tone will be 20 times better.

The B-52 AT-112 is really nice, get an OD pedal to supplement it and youre all set.
WTLTL 2011
B-52 or a 5150 if you can find one that cheap.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Aaron.C
What is the difference in the 5150 and the 6505?

Nothing, they're exactly the same amp. 5150s can usually be found cheaper though, which I don't know why anyone would buy a used 6505, doesn't make sense to me.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nothing, they're exactly the same amp. 5150s can usually be found cheaper though, which I don't know why anyone would buy a used 6505, doesn't make sense to me.

It's newer
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Aaron.C
How much do you think a used 5150 should run for?

Expect to spend at least $600-$700 dollars, but great deals are found on these amps every day.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's newer

So? If it works just as good, why buy the 6505 over the 5150, ones cheaper than the other one and it's the exact same thing.

To TS, I bought mine for $500, usually see them in the $500-700 range for the combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
No difference between the 5150 and 6505? Are you kidding?? The difference between the two is 1355!!! Obviously, the bigger numbered one is going to most certainly be the best!!

/sarcasm... lol
Quote by LuthierofTexas
No difference between the 5150 and 6505? Are you kidding?? The difference between the two is 1355!!! Obviously, the bigger numbered one is going to most certainly be the best!!

/sarcasm... lol

haha

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
personally for prog rock/metal i wouldn't go with the 5150, there just isn't enough versatility in my opinion. I've never tried or heard a B-52 AT-112 but it's often descrbed as "the poor mans Mesa" and since you say you'll be playing DT (which I assume is Dream Theater, mighty good taste ) then you're going to be wanting a mesa-ish tone.

so test it out.
The Valveking has more than enough gain for Metal, I don't understand why people say it doesn't.

However, with what you're looking for sound-wise, I'd say the B-52 AT-112, because the Valveking doesn't give the Nevermore/DT tone. It's a more thicker tone like Black Sabbath, or Metallica in my opinion.
Quote by Colgate Total
The Valveking has more than enough gain for Metal, I don't understand why people say it doesn't.

Because it doesn't, and it isn't voiced for metal- with a decent OD okay, but on it's own, nah.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Ok, I have played the B-52. Its really not a metal amp. You would need a good OD/Distortion pedal to get it into metal territories. Its perfect for harder rock, but it wont do black metal stuff. It just wont. As Yngwi3 said, its just not voiced for it.
Quote by MatrixClaw
So? If it works just as good, why buy the 6505 over the 5150, ones cheaper than the other one and it's the exact same thing.

To TS, I bought mine for $500, usually see them in the $500-700 range for the combo.

You could get a warranty with a new one, an older one...if it breaks you're gonna be buying a new one.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by LuthierofTexas
As Yngwi3 said, its just not voiced for it.

He was talking about the Valveking, not the B-52.

Quote by MESAexplorer
You could get a warranty with a new one, an older one...if it breaks you're gonna be buying a new one.

Good point, didn't know their warrenties were transferable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hate to hijack the thread a bit, but I had a question about the B-52 as I am also really interested in buying it. The 212/head version has 2 gain channels whereas the 112 only has 1. Does the gain channel on the 112 sound more like the first gain channel or the second on the 212/head? The second is heavier and more what I am looking for. Unfortunately GC didn't have the 112 today so I couldn't try it to see for myself.