What guitar is it you want to tune to D?
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by The red Strat.
is it hard to tune to drop d on floating bridge guitar ?

thanks

Yes.

Dropping the E string will send every other string out of tune so you'll have to re-tune the whole guitar.

And you know what a pain in the arse that is with a floyd...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yes.
Quote by quincy514
Dave Matthews Band. I guess they're talented, but I find that every one of their fans seems to be a big tool with a popped collar and backwards Polo hat.

YES!!!
If it's set up to play in standard, you will have to adjust the trem springs. But it's not difficult if you know how to do it.
Quote by The red Strat.
i don't have it, just asking, i'm talking bout a jazzmaster.

Ahh, okay.

Yes.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
A jazzmaster doesn't have a floyd. Although it does have a floating bridge...My guitar has a floating bridge. When the strings have settled and stretched, then tuning down to D won't be a problem.
I do it on my PRS sometimes.. asfaicr it stays in tune pretty well.
I r Pirate!
If you've got a floyd then you can get an EVH D-Tuna which are supposed to work very well.
My fine tuners can go to Drop D easily and also go to Eb without unlocking anything.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
yes it can mess it up big time if the bridge drops so you have to ajdust the springs like som1 already said
Christian
Quote by mellowyellow729
yes it can mess it up big time if the bridge drops so you have to ajdust the springs like som1 already said

the jazzmaster doesn't have all those locking thingys but the fender site does say it has tremolo lock button... (don't know what it is)
so what does it do and could i just tune to drop d without having to tune all the rest of the strings ? and what is i this spring adjusting ?? does it only have to be done once or everytime i tune down ? sorry i'm kinda new to this bridge stuff...
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by The red Strat.
the jazzmaster doesn't have all those locking thingys but the fender site does say it has tremolo lock button... (don't know what it is)
so what does it do and could i just tune to drop d without having to tune all the rest of the strings ? and what is i this spring adjusting ?? does it only have to be done once or everytime i tune down ? sorry i'm kinda new to this bridge stuff...

Tremolo lock button sounds like a device that locks your trem in one position. This means you can detune without any trouble, but you can't use the trem (not sure this is actually what it is, I've never tried this guitar.

Concerning the springs: A floating trem needs to be balanced. On one side, you have the strings pulling the bridge upwards, on the other side, the springs pulling it downward, so that it will return to the original position when you fiddle with it. Since tuning your guitar down means less string tension, you need to compensate by slackening the springs a little. At least on a FR style trem, you will need to adjust the springs everytime you change your tuning (at least if you want a properly set up guitar). Maybe the trem on the Jazzmaster is a bit more forgiving, I don't know.
Quote by kyrreca
Tremolo lock button sounds like a device that locks your trem in one position. This means you can detune without any trouble, but you can't use the trem (not sure this is actually what it is, I've never tried this guitar.

Concerning the springs: A floating trem needs to be balanced. On one side, you have the strings pulling the bridge upwards, on the other side, the springs pulling it downward, so that it will return to the original position when you fiddle with it. Since tuning your guitar down means less string tension, you need to compensate by slackening the springs a little. At least on a FR style trem, you will need to adjust the springs everytime you change your tuning (at least if you want a properly set up guitar). Maybe the trem on the Jazzmaster is a bit more forgiving, I don't know.

ah ok thanks !
i'm pretty sure a jazzmaster doesn't have a FR though...
anyone that knows for sure what the tremolo lock button is and if i could detune to drop d without much trouble and fast (and maybe even use the tremolo too ???)

Going to Drop-D is not a drastic change..

I do it on my Floyd, and i just have to fine tune the other strings a little, none of this re-adjusting spring business...
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
I tune to drop D on my Strat every so often, and it's fine to do. None of the other strings will drastically go out of tune, don't worry about it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
I tune to drop D on my Strat every so often, and it's fine to do. None of the other strings will drastically go out of tune, don't worry about it.

yeah but a strat has a different type of bridge... are you sure it'll be fine on a jazzmaster ?
its not hard, it just takes some time...

like someone said above, if you lower the tension in the E string, all the other strings are going to go sharp... so you may have to tune it a few times to get the proper spring/string tension balance...

you could always get one of those trem-o-no things... i think thats what they are called, that basically lets you drop your guitar, or make your floating trem a fixed bridge, and its easy to switch between fixed, floating, and dropped... but imo if you get a floating trem and your not willing to put the time into tuning to or fixing it up how you want then you prob should get one

but like i said, no its not hard, just can be time consuming
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
You'll have to do the same exact thing as re stringing it... Becides adding the new strings which is the easiest part.

I have a WolfGang Peavy Eddie Van Halen guitar. It has a Drop D tuner that you pull and it goes down to D... I never use it because I love standard tuning but it's nice to have.