I have this acoustic guitar (duh, I know) with stupidly high action, and I'm pretty sure it's because the bridge is high as hell (the action's not too bad for the first few frets) how do I lower the action? should I just sand down the bridge? cut it down to size? get a new one? or is it something else and should I just take it to a guitar shop and see if they can help me?
If you're really confident, just sand it down. If you'd rather not, take it to a guitar shop and see what they can do. I've never done it before, any mods I need doing are done by my dad's mate, who knows pretty much everything when it comes to basic modification.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
um on my guitar, idunno about yours, if you look in the hole in the body of your guitar towards the fretboard, there should be some kind of nut/screw thing. take the right size allen key and tighten it if you want the action lower. youll have to like move your strings but yea.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
just take it to a guitar shop and ask them to fix it

is it a good acoustic?

if its **** just buy a new one!
Quote by jeff541
um on my guitar, idunno about yours, if you look in the hole in the body of your guitar towards the fretboard, there should be some kind of nut/screw thing. take the right size allen key and tighten it if you want the action lower. youll have to like move your strings but yea.

that nut/screw thing is called the truss rod... and don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing.
well, I wouldn't say it's a bad guitar, but I wouldn't be able to just buy a new one since I'm still trying to finish paying for my electric, but thanks for all the suggestions tho
Quote by samick007
that nut/screw thing is called the truss rod... and don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing.

+1, action should not be adjusted using the truss rod
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
you sand down the saddle, take it out and do it mm by mm to get it right without a high fret buzz, do it to much and you'll need a new one.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Eh. I always opt for professionals to do modifications like that. In order for you to modify the saddle, you've gotta take all the strings off and you can damage the neck that way. I'd have a pro do it. I have had friends that sanded their saddles with mixed results.
Take all the strings off, take the bridge out (if it's removable), and sand down the other side. If you can't take it out just sand the top off. Don't touch the truss rod that will adjust the neck a different way.. which isn't what you need.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
under the bridge on every guitar i have seen there should be 1 or 2 plastic inserts.... just take 1 or 2 out and it should make up the difference you need
iM Get'n that fa sho!

play acoustic, jam hard

AiM - TheCarsonCity
Quote by Thursdae
Take all the strings off, take the bridge out (if it's removable), and sand down the other side. If you can't take it out just sand the top off. Don't touch the truss rod that will adjust the neck a different way.. which isn't what you need.

+1000E+50

Don't even think to touch the truss rod if you're not really sure of what you're doing. The saddle adjustament will be more than enough to lower your action.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Thursdae

Im sure you mean saddle instead of bridge. Definitely sand down the underside and not the top also.

under the bridge on every guitar i have seen there should be 1 or 2 plastic inserts.... just take 1 or 2 out and it should make up the difference you need

I believe you mean saddle instead of bridge aswell.

Please dont do this. Action adjustments are made at the nut and/or saddle.
Last edited by tom183 at Sep 4, 2007,
lol the "nut/screw thing" made me chuckle. Its a good example of "You know not to take advice whennn...."
ANYway. I'd honestly recommend taking it to someone to do it for you if you're not completely sure. And by someone i mean a professional who does that kind of thing for a job, not a friend who plays guitar and has a 'good idea' of what they're doing. A guitar shop will be able to help you, and at the very least give you advice
(Not saying that UG is bad with advice [except The Pit.])
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..