I've been playing for about a year, and I'm starting to run out of songs to learn. I was thinking about learning sweep picking, but I don't know what else to do after that. I was thinking about writing my own songs, but scales and theory seems VERY complicated. Anyone got any more ideas?
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Its not that complicated to learn a bit of theory, and its really worth it. Its much more fun to make up your own songs then to learn other ones IMO, and it makes you a better guitarist overall. Sweep picking is good to learn too, it takes a while but its really worth it.
Well i know most of the people here will say i´m completely wrong. but i can´t read notes and this whole theory stuff but i´m already writing own stuff and jamming with others.... yeah maybe i should learn theory too ...

But just because you don´t know all the theory doesn´t mean your to stupid to create own material
write your own songs, this will help you bring out tons of your creativity, and if all else go with and fun buddy guy or hendrix song, well one that is challenging enough
|
learn scales, i havent learned a song in the past 3 months beause ive been learning and practising scales and my playing has come along many times faster than it would learning other people songs.

scales are the way to go
Quote by GLP_Arclite
learn scales, i havent learned a song in the past 3 months beause ive been learning and practising scales and my playing has come along many times faster than it would learning other people songs.

scales are the way to go

What will I do with the scales later then? I really don't get how to use them in a song.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Stentroll
What will I do with the scales later then? I really don't get how to use them in a song.

once you pick up the scales you can create incorporate and add stuff on chord progressions, and also get sweet at improv!
|
once youve learnt scales youll probably be suprised how much they turn up in songs! itll definately help you writing things
I <3 my Washburn Idol
Quote by Stentroll
But you can write songs without it?

well, yes, but only through trial and error

believe me. making up your own riffs for practising and just playing improv is wondrous

if you dont know it already just learn the pentatonic scale, its really easy to learn and to play.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
well, yes, but only through trial and error

believe me. making up your own riffs for practising and just playing improv is wondrous

if you dont know it already just learn the pentatonic scale, its really easy to learn and to play.

I'll try to understand them by using lessons here on UG. I doubt I will be able to though.
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
with that kind of attitude yes. basically heres a run down on scales

a key is a group of notes that sound good together
a scale is those notes arranged in a certain way to get a sound.

so basically the scale is just the notes in the key all over the fretboard so you'd know which notes sound good together. and also chords are built upon scales so you can usethose notes to build chords.

just alot of possibilites.
To learn how to play a guitar is to learn a key. It's less confusing that way and you'll learn what chords, scales, and modes fits a key. Later you will learn how to arrange it and how to improvise.

There's two ways to play a song, staying in key and changing keys. All songs have a key which is like home. At the beginning you leave home, have an adventure, and come home at the end.

When I started learning the guitar I started in the middle of my fretboard (5th fret) and learned a key called A minor. It has the same notes as C major and is a relative minor of C major. I started with pentatonic scales in that key. I studied the CAGED system to get 5 pentatonic scales which are also modes for this key. Each of the patterns has a chord shape it fits ( C A G E or D) and covered the whole fretboard.

Covering the whole fretboard and hear only 5 notes played sounds so cool.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

I don't understand that...
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson