Right, well someone played my guitar today, and told me they couldn't play it, the action made it impossible for them to play. It's pretty much at the lowest it could be without out rattling, and I pick and fret notes very hard when I play metal, and the high action doesn't affect me when I play something else when don't fret or pick very hard. Anyway, is it too high?
EDIT: haha, forgot pic:
it's a bit high for my taste, but if someone found it impossible to play, they've got a bigger problem than you
It's fine. But, Your neck looks a little bowed to me.. Maybe you need a truss adjustment?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Is it the camera angle, or is your neck bowing?

And no, your action is not ridiculously high.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
the action on my les paul is higher than that, nothing to worry about there

If other people fnd it uncomfortable who cares? its your guitar
ditto on the neck bit. Put a capo on the first fret and fret the 22nd, and if the gap is wider than a dime, adjust accordingly
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
My neck is bowing very slightly, but its mainly the camera angle. I'm about to put .12s on for tuning to standard, those are .10s, just decided I'd adjust it now for some reason.
Yeah, that's pretty high. You might find if you get a professional set-up on your guitar and get the action lowered; it could do wonders for you. I personally like my action a little higher than it could be just to keep my fingers in shape, but you'd definitely be able to play a lot faster with lower action.
when changing from 10s to 12s you will DEFINITELY need a truss rod adjustment and most likely need to intonate your guitar. i think if you sort the truss out the action will be more even throughout the neck and allow lower action. get a set-up
thats maybe just a HAIR higher then mine and mine is just fine
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
SRV had his higher.

As long as it's comfortable to you, it's fine.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
if the action is okay for you, thats all that matters, i mean whose guitar is it? yours.

it really annoys me when someone says "lol noob your action is high", because i like it that way - it doesn't make it hard for me to play, it just means i can do slide without getting that horrible sound of the strings rattling against the frets.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i ahve a problem witht he height of my action. If you can play it and happy with it then thats fine because its a personal thing, but if its affecting your playing then definately get it sorted. For example my action is so high that i cant physically play barre chords, so im getting a set up done to fix it, i found out i had a lot of problems with my guitar including the neck beign in at an angle!!
I <3 my Washburn Idol
Just out of interest, which way would people say it was bowed?
EDIT: I'll clarify, someone just told be it looked like a back-bow, which it blatantly isn't and it just got me thinking.
Last edited by National_Anthem at Sep 3, 2007,
It's incredibly high for me, because I like low action. But you messed too much with your truss rod. Your neck looks messed up.
Quote by RentACar
It's incredibly high for me, because I like low action. But you messed too much with your truss rod. Your neck looks messed up.

I gave it a 1/12 or 1/10 turn, there's no way it's messed up, and I know what I'm doing. Which way would you say it was bowed from the pic, because I think it is misleading.
why would you adjust it before giving it the tension of the new strings... excuse me but it sounds like an idiotic thing to do... when are you getting the new strings?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
why would you adjust it before giving it the tension of the new strings... excuse me but it sounds like an idiotic thing to do... when are you getting the new strings?

The strings are now on.
Semi-on topic: when you put on higher guage strings do you loosen or tighten the truss rod? I know everyone's going to tell me not to do it myself, but I've read a lot about it, and as long as I don't go more than a 1/12 at a time, I should be ok, right?
Quote by revilo789
Semi-on topic: when you put on higher guage strings do you loosen or tighten the truss rod? I know everyone's going to tell me not to do it myself, but I've read a lot about it, and as long as I don't go more than a 1/12 at a time, I should be ok, right?

Adjusting a truss rod is really much easier than people make it out to be. Higher guage strings pull the neck outwards from the body, like an upwards-bow, so to compensate you need to loosen the truss rod.

Explaining it like that made me realise that with a slight up-bow on my guitar before I put the .12s on, I must have had quite a big one before, that's slightly worrying, and a lesson to regularly check my neck relief.
Last edited by National_Anthem at Sep 3, 2007,
what guitar is it if its a strat then the action isnt suppose to be really low cos of the way it is built!
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Quote by Syn_66
what guitar is it if its a strat then the action isnt suppose to be really low cos of the way it is built!

Every strat I have played has had pretty low action...
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
That is pretty high, I prefer very low action, but in the end if it doesn't slow you down, then you can do whatever you want.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Actually, tightening the rod will decrease the bow, and loosening it will increase it. Truss rods provide back tension against the pull of the strings. If the strings are pulling the neck too much, tighten the truss rod. And yes, less than 1/8 turn at a time. I like to use the old trick of looking down my guitars from the body end; that way it's easy to see how much curve there is in the neck. I prefer necks that have just the slightest relief (up bow), but almost straight.