Im currently just have a small practice amp but am looking to buy like a half stack. i want something that can get me that 80s hair metal tone like poison, ratt, and dokken, and also like a heavier tone for like judas priest and ac/dc type stuff. what kind of amp or distortion boxes should i get? thanks
Quote by sg4ever
Specify your budget.

up to a thousand dollars i guess but i would like to not go that high. id rather get one used
Quote by justinjc7
Im currently just have a small practice amp but am looking to buy like a half stack. i want something that can get me that 80s hair metal tone like poison, ratt, and dokken, and also like a heavier tone for like judas priest and ac/dc type stuff. what kind of amp or distortion boxes should i get? thanks

jcm 800 it will make your ears happy with joy
This is screaming to me a Marshall JCM800 with a good O/D pedal.

EDIT:
TideBleach beat me to it.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
If you really want a half stack dont cheap out.

with a grand you could get a Marshall JCM800 halfstack which will be perfect for the styles you listed.

EDIT: haha, beat by 2 other people with the same suggestion.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
If you really want a half stack dont cheap out.

with a grand you could get a Marshall JCM800 halfstack which will be perfect for the styles you listed.

EDIT: haha, beat by 2 other people with the same suggestion.

They are truely the best amp created imo.

So many reccomendations can't be wrong.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
haha wow i think its pretty unanimous. are there any distortion boxes i should get for it too to get that tone.
and another question. wat is the differnece between a jcm 800 and a jcm 900?
Quote by justinjc7

a jcm 800 and jcm 900 are voiced a little differently. a jcm 800 has 1 channel (but there is a version with 2) and you really need to crank it to get the tone you want. with a jcm 900 you have 2 channels and reverb. also you dont have to crank it as loud to get the tone you want. the 900 has more gain im pretty sure. i love my jcm 900.
Quote by justinjc7
haha wow i think its pretty unanimous. are there any distortion boxes i should get for it too to get that tone.

None, you just need the volume control

The Peavey Windsor is a viable alternative too...it's essentially a JCM800 clone but it's a fair bit cheaper.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by georgemccupcake
you dont need a halfstack, you wont be able to crank it. get a combo

wat kind of combo?
Quote by justinjc7

For what you play, you don't want it- It's too modern-ly voiced.
Your best bets are a JCM800, Peavey Windsor or a Orange Rocker (maybe with an OD)

p.s. you don't need a halfstack- if you can get a combo, do it
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by steven seagull
The Peavey Windsor is a viable alternative too...it's essentially a JCM800 clone but it's a fair bit cheaper.

+1, in the states it's pretty good value. i'd look elsewhere for the cab though.

also, if anything, ac/dc use a much less gainy tone than those other 80's bands like poison etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
an 800?? not really. roll off the volume a bit. it will clean up a bit, but not much
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
well then should i get a dsl then so i could get two channels or is the jcm better?
JCM800 is a lot better than the modern marshalls. Its also very loud and needs to be cranked quite a bit to sound its best.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112