well ive been playing for a awhile now been playing about 4 hours a day, heres the deal my pick slips alot so i was on cyberfret and i think im holding the pick wrong. the way i hold is with my thumb flat on it and my pointer finger is like to the side? is that the right way i dont think so but everyone writes it so badly and even with pics its kind ahard to tell so if u think im holding it wrong please explaint he right way thanks ahead of time
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Whatever is comfortable to YOU.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
i dont know if it helps but when i playi put the tip of the pick pointing same dir. as my index which is toward the guitar. And then when i do something like tremelo picking or pick squeals i tend to choke up more on the pick puting it in the first crook of my index finger. sorry if its unhelpful or confusing.
Ok this " what ever is comfortable for you thing" isn't true. This has to stop.

There are ways you do certain things.(though in the guitar world we are still learning)

If you want my advice, which isn't gonna be what ever is comfortable, give this a try.

Let your arm hang to your side. Don't clinch your finger, don't tighten your muscles, don't do anything.

Let your arm and hand relax and do what they want. You will notice that your thumb and first finger will naturally want to touch. Slide the pick in between this area. If after that you feel it necessary to use another finger on the pick then do it.

This "what ever is comfortable for you" thing needs to stop.

Every thing i've ever learned i tried to do it the way that i thought was comfortable. Then Someone who knew what they were talking about would tell me to do it differently.

Guess what, they were right. This goes beyond guitar. I learn this playing golf, using a screw gun at work, swinging a baseball bat, and much more.

If you practice something, right or wrong it will become comfortable. RIGHT or WRONG.

Comfort is learned. When you learn something new it is supposed to feel awkward, but it become comfortable after time.
epic7734
experiment, and find what works best for you. a lot of very good guitarists have very odd-looking ways of holding the pick. steve morse likes to use 2 fingers and his thumb. paul gilbert uses the side of his index and his htumb. personally, i like to use my thumb and middle finger to hold the pick. just find what works best for you dude
hello
Quote by epic7734
Ok this " what ever is comfortable for you thing" isn't true. This has to stop.

There are ways you do certain things.(though in the guitar world we are still learning)

If you want my advice, which isn't gonna be what ever is comfortable, give this a try.

Let your arm hang to your side. Don't clinch your finger, don't tighten your muscles, don't do anything.

Let your arm and hand relax and do what they want. You will notice that your thumb and first finger will naturally want to touch. Slide the pick in between this area. If after that you feel it necessary to use another finger on the pick then do it.

This "what ever is comfortable for you" thing needs to stop.

Every thing i've ever learned i tried to do it the way that i thought was comfortable. Then Someone who knew what they were talking about would tell me to do it differently.

Guess what, they were right. This goes beyond guitar. I learn this playing golf, using a screw gun at work, swinging a baseball bat, and much more.

If you practice something, right or wrong it will become comfortable. RIGHT or WRONG.

Comfort is learned. When you learn something new it is supposed to feel awkward, but it become comfortable after time.

No. If it hurts or you can't do what you want at first, don't keep doing it. Change it. It's not like there is only ONE comfortable way to hold a pick.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by TSelman
No. If it hurts or you can't do what you want at first, don't keep doing it. Change it. It's not like there is only ONE comfortable way to hold a pick.

If something hurts of course you change something.

The point is that people who have no experenice doing something ask a question and get the answer 'do what ever is comfortable'.

What i'm trying to say is there are certain ways to do things. Why do you think most self taught players have horribly bad habits. Its cause they just did what was comfortable.

When i first started it was more comfortable to fret a string with the flat of my fingers, not the tips.

I started playing anchored, cause it was comfortable.

The inside joint of my hand used to mute the high e string, Cause it seemed like a comfortable way to grip the neck.

I could go on about all the things i did when beginning guitar that i did cause it felt comfortable.

Using the tips of my finger, not alowing my inside joint of my hand to mute strings
and playing unanchored were all very uncomfortable at first, but now it is the way i play and it feels great.

Comfort comes by becoming used to something.

See what i'm saying.

And yes of course there is more than one way to hold a pick. You still have to take into account many different things thought. Are going to be using your wrist in a hand shaking motion, a door knob turning motion, or are you going to be Bensin(sp) picking. Lets not even go into the different ways you could hold your pick if you are play acoustic vs. electric.

These different types of picking will require a different grip.
epic7734
Quote by Inno_a_Satana
steve morse likes to use 2 fingers and his thumb

Steve Morse is horrible example of good technique in any and all ways, he has carpal tunnel syndrome from playing for so many years with such bad technique.

The way PG holds the pick is generally what is taken to be good technique, but it is worth noting that the rest of your hand doesn't need to be in the same shape as his.

TSelman: There is always a right way of doing something if you are looking for economy of movement and the least energy used, this time you are wrong: "do what is comfortable" is received wisdom that must stop on these forums.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Nirvana-Man
i hold my pick with 2 fingers and a thumb, it works fine for me?

It's works fine and that's great, but that doesn't make it the best way of doing things, using an extra finger may very well be introducing more tension into your hand and arm when you play.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Nirvana-Man
i hold my pick with 2 fingers and a thumb, it works fine for me?

When i tried using an extra finger when holding the pick i noticed it changed the position my palm is in(for muting), and i had to work harder to get a steady up and down wrist motion when picking.

On the other hand, when playing my acoustic, it helped me strum a lot better.
epic7734
That way, when yoyu get to fast chord changes, and fast chords, you won't be able to do it. It will strain your arm too much. Let it rest on your index joint, and put your thumb on it
Quote by petey gunnz
well ive been playing for a awhile now been playing about 4 hours a day, heres the deal my pick slips alot so i was on cyberfret and i think im holding the pick wrong. the way i hold is with my thumb flat on it and my pointer finger is like to the side? is that the right way i dont think so but everyone writes it so badly and even with pics its kind ahard to tell so if u think im holding it wrong please explaint he right way thanks ahead of time

here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2E_3YoRmIg
best explanation ever man.I realized i was holding it wrong just recently,and it was really limting me man.It felt uncortable at first man,ut if you wnant to do it right just keep trying,youll get use to it and then think"wow this is so much better" believe me it really helps to hold it right.
although i kinda believe in the whole "do whatever feels right" i think it should be slightly refined...how about whatever works for you...try what feels comfortable with you first, if your pick slips, try something else. if it works, do it.
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
epic7734 IS WRONG!!! picking is the one thing that everything he mentioned doesnt apply too. its all about what you feel is better. try different ways till you find one that works.
Quote by SixStringSavior
epic7734 IS WRONG!!! picking is the one thing that everything he mentioned doesnt apply too. its all about what you feel is better. try different ways till you find one that works.

I disagree.

Playing the guitar is an art to be sure and in art there is no right way of doing things, this is a given, but what people don't seem to understand is the the art part of playing guitar is the end result: the music. The physical motions of actually playing the guitar, from a purely physical point of view, is an exact and precise science and in science there is always a correct way of doing things.

ANALOGY TIME:

Think of a piece of music like a painting: the paint is the guitar, the picture is the music, the way you use the paint is entirely up to you and there are no rules, but the paint itself (physically playing the guitar) has a very definite makeup, playing the guitar with poor technique is like making your own paints all the time, it makes things much longer and harder; you may get the same results but it will take so much longer to get there.

/analogy

See what I mean?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Im gonna throw something else out there: Have u tried different picks? Theres plenty out there with different textures etc that might give u a better grip.
Ive seen many different remedies for pick slippage. I personally buy picks that already have a rough texture and then scratch that up with a pair of scissors and that gives me the grip i need.
I might be totally wrong and this isnt a problem for you at all but i just thought id mention it.