Page 1 of 2
Okay heres the deal. I have a budget of around £1500 for a guitar and amp. I like to play metal and 80's hard rock with a sprinkle of punk and blues at the moment i'm thinking about a gibson sg standard and i have no idea about and amp. peavey valve king 212 ? The only thing i'de like to request is you pick me a combo amp as i wont be gigging and will not need that much power.
the gibson's are nice, go for the burst finish! its FANTASTIC!
Guitars
Epiphone LP Standard
Gibson L-6S
Amplifiers
Randall RH200 G2 Series
Legion 2x12 Cab
B-52 LG-100A For Sale
Pedal Board
Boss NS-2
Boss Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
MXR Zakk Wylde O-D
Boss MT-2 For Sale
Boss Eq For Sale
If you're dropping that much cash, I'd get something better than a VK. Check out JCM 800s maybe?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
yeah you should get a cheaper guitar with a more expensive amp. i'd say £1000 on amp, that will get you a seriously good amp, there are very few production line amps you couldn't get really. Then with the £500 left over get a decent guitar like an ibanez s470 and you will have yourself some bitching tone.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_blackmore_signature_e650_topteil.htm

+

http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr_412_dragon_an.htm

+

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_s470bk.htm

or if you would prefer a 2 x 12

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e212s.htm

that's what I would most likely get if I were in your situation but there are a lot of options for you
Quote by josh999x
Thanks cort. i was thinking about a lower end mesa aswell advice ?

Mesas are alot more expensive in the UK I hear. But, The Express series can do anything. Some people say it can't do metal though. I tried an F50 once. I didn't liek it, but I think that was because it had old tubes.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
great amp, but i still say you'd be better looking at engl, they're better value here in the UK. but if you love mesa's and have the money then who's to stop you. i know if i could afford a roadking and sure as heck get one
i don't like ur attitude on ur sig...

mine's better than yours

lol... i second the JCM800. or an Orange maybe.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^^Wouldn't a 100 watt tube amp be absolute overkill for someone who doesn't gig?
actually, i saw that you play metal and hard rock, so take the orange out. they're vintage voiced.

maybe a Peavey JSX??? or a used 5150 combo.

mesas are okay but in my book, they're way too expensive.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Mwoit
^^Wouldn't a 100 watt tube amp be absolute overkill for someone who doesn't gig?

engls have a great pre amp distortion imo, however i've never tested out the blackmore (only a thunder screamer and fireball) and if he ever does get to gig and turn it up then you had better be wearing a diaper.
^yes. metal/hardrock distortion is pretty much all in the preamp. (the modern hard rock at least. GNR isn't in there.) if you get a master volume amp, it should have nice thick distortion.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
as i said above i'd go with the s470 for an all round good guitar with a top notch trem, but as you were originally thinking of getting an SG i guess tremolo isn;t a real desire. in that case i'd take a look at the ibanez SZ520, schecters would be worth a look. also an esp viper 400 would be nice. very sg-like but more suited for metal, in my opinion it looks much better than an SG but then i never really was an SG fan to begin with.
Quote by josh999x
Thanks for your help guys what are your thoughts on the guitar ?

Get a Jackson for metal. Get a DK2M if you want a trem or a DK2T if you don't. If you've got enough you could also get a DKMG, which has active EMG 81/85 pickups.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
^ i'd have to agree with you there. i dislike jacksons though. except the kellys, gotta love the kellys. that's an idea, look into kellys. KE3 perhaps
Quote by josh999x
I've played the jackson on DK2M and i really didn't like it.

How about the DKMG then?
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
I've never been a fan of the strat shape. Anyway i'm off for the night.
There's always the epic washburn x50pro

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

excellent call on the blackmore there, storm bringer, that's what i was coming in here to recommend!

what do you mean by "80's hard rock" and "metal", though, josh? and how much punk and blues will you be playing?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by josh999x
Thanks what do you think of the mesa boogie F-100 ?

you can do a lot better for the money in the UK. i'm not fussed on the f-series to be honest. especially not at UK prices.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
80's hard rock and metal i mean sabbath maiden AC/DC Guns 'n' roses trivium metallica etc and not to much punk and blues but i like a versitile guitar rarther than a metal machine.
Don't bother with a new guitar. Save up and go buy a Cornford Hellcat.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
They do it in head and combo versions. It's a 35w handmade-in-the-UK amp that covers Fender cleans to Highgain. And sounds amazing. Apparently. I've never been privileged enough to try one, but if you ever see one then just play it...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
eh, the hellcat doesn't do fender cleans. and it doesn't sound as modern as, say, an engl powerball.

to be honest, the hellcat is pretty darn expensive- i'd prefer the hurricane (as it's like half the price, on gak, and sounds sublime- only one channel, but the cleans with the guitar volume rolled down are great, kinda ac30ish, while the high gain is really nice and woody- think soldano avenger, but more organic, and probably a little less modern), or probably an mk50 head (haven't tried that one, though). Plus if you are willing to go to £2000 (as you'd have to for the hellcat) you have an absolute smorgasbord of options, some of which are truly outstanding. you're into diezel, soldano, bogner, vht, etc. territory.

by trivium, do you mean their newest album (the crusade, right?) or ascendency?

similar question with metallica- do you mean older metallica, or newer?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Orange Rocker 30 @ £600ish

And anything you want for upto £900ish on the guitar. Me I'd look at a USA deluxe fat strat or an EC strat but for that money I think you have a lot of choice...

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by josh999x
newer trivium and older metallica.

sweet that's what i wanted to hear. something capable of getting up to 80's metal would be grand for those tones, in other words.

you have several options for the amps:

engl blackmore + framus 2x12 cab.

laney tt combo or head and framus 2x12

marshall jvm or dsl

koch multitone/twintone/studiotone

cornford hurricane

thd flexi 50 (guitar guitar has a special deal for around £950, i think- you'd need a framus 2x12 too, but that'd still leave you about £350 for a guitar, which is cutting it a little thin, but should still be ok if you went for something like a washburn x50pro). this might need a booster pedal too, though.

for the guitar, it really depends on what you spend on the amp (obviously enough). washburn x50 pro would most likely be my choice if you're willing to spend the majority of your budget on the amp. if you go slightly cheaper on the amp, and have around £500 for the guitar, you have a bunch more options.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh, i've more than likely forgotten some amps there, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What do you guys think of an ibanez jem or dean razorback for guitar with a laney toni iommi head and a gl cab.
which jem and which razorback?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd go for an RG prestige over a JEM, unless you're buying the one vai actually uses, the slightly cheaper one is an absolute rip off. that means you're cutting out on the amp fund big time too.

with razorbacks, i've never played one i liked, and not just because of the horrible balance hideous shape and atrociously large headstock, it just felt like a toy and doesn't sound or feel the price tag.
Page 1 of 2