I know, I'm like everyone else now, but I can't help the fact that you guys are helpful. Anyway, I'm in the market for both a new bass and a new amp. I've been considering my options for months now, maybe even a year, and I've finally realized what I'm looking for. I need a pretty decent-sized amp since I think our band is going to break up soon and I've been using my singer's bass amp.

Anyway, I'm in a condominium, so I can't have some beastly amp, but I'd love one that's big enough that I could use if I were going to jam with somebody and be able to hear myself. I'm not really picky, as long as I can use the thing for ska and jazz. I don't even need specifics if you don't have any, just a general idea of what type of amp I should look into.

The bass is the hard part. I know I'm looking for a fretless with either five or six strings. As luck would have it, the only music store around here only carries one fretless a year, and it's a four-string (though it is a Schecter Stiletto, which is appealing). Again, I'm looking for a ska/jazz tone. However, if I have to, I'm willing to take advantage of websites' return policies just to try out basses if I have to. I'm more concerned with the amp.

Money isn't really a problem since this is all I'm saving up for right now, but I'd like to spend under $1000 if possible. Also, I'm going to try out some amps and even basses if possible, but you guys are good at giving general advice.

Thanks a lot in advance.
If you can find a 2nd hand Markbass amp within budget please buy it, they make the sweetest sound for jazz, and a few minor adjustments and you get another totally different but usable tone.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Ashdown make excellent amps, I can get a fantastic ska bass tone through it with my P-Bass. And a jazz tone will come with some tweaking too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
you just had to make it difficult didn't you. 5 or 6 string fretless....jerk. well i did some research for you and if you try that schecter and really like it it does come in 5 string fretless. and the five string version is 35" scale length so the low be will be good and tight and it should sound a little punchier that the 4 string version because the strings will be tighter.

here it's $650 though: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio5-Fretless-Bass?sku=516755

This conklin looks good and i like the choice of woods. It also has active pickups if you like them. but it's even more expensive.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Conklin-GT5-5String-Fretless-Bass?sku=512703

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Corvette-Standard-Fretless-Bass?sku=519129

that's a warwick i like but i don't think the tone would be good for jazz and ska and it's out of your price range....i give up.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Sep 3, 2007,
Another advantage with Markbass amps is that they are tiny and light, but awesomely loud. Great if you have space issues.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Another advantage with Markbass amps is that they are tiny and light, but awesomely loud. Great if you have space issues.

RIDICULOUSLY light. I'm thinking about selling my ampeg and going Markbass.
Glad you're moving up from the Silvertone/SX level.

For basses, I've played an Ibanez 6-string fretless before, but that's all I really know. I'm not going to recommend my 7-string fretless ABG.

As far as amps go, I'd be hard-pressed not to recommend the Fender Bassman 250. It's exactly what you want. You can quite literally get any tone you want from it, and the bridge pickup tone of my bass through this amp is the best I've heard. It might not be the only thing you want, however.

Markbass is a good choice, but there are other 'super portable' pieces, as well. For example, the Genz Benz Neo-PAK 3.5 is 350W and is 8.5lbs. Eden makes a 300W head that's 3.8lbs and fits in a gig bag pocket. Both are great amps with great tone, although they're a bit higher in the price range. The Bassman, however, is right in it. I'd recommend the 15" combo for your purposes.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by sinan90
If you can find a 2nd hand Markbass amp within budget please buy it, they make the sweetest sound for jazz, and a few minor adjustments and you get another totally different but usable tone.

+1 for MarkBass. Fantastic to for the price and more importantly, the size.
Thanks for the tips. Does anybody actually know where Markbass amps are sold? I could hardly find any online, which is sort of bizarre.

To whomever suggested the Schecter (can't remember your name; sorry), I was actually considering just trying the 4-string and then adding a few strings if I liked it. I mean, I'm not 100% set of a 5/6-string, but I'm pretty sure it's what I want.

As for the Fender amp, I'll look into it. I read some bad reviews online, but I've taught myself that I can't trust anyone giving a review until I review it for myself. It actually looks pretty nice to me, and I was even considering a Fender Jazz Bass to go along with it.

I'm not really as indecisive as I sound. I just like to keep options open, especially with stuff that costs so much money. =P
I've never read a bad review of the Fender Bassman 250. Where'd you read it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Not anymore. The Tony Franklin sig is unlined, but current Fender fretlesses are lined. However, back in the mid 90's, they did. I owned one. To eBay!
Quote by Cody_Grey102