OK i was just looking up some things on wikipedia and i wondered when Heavy metal very first begun. All it told me was that the first form of metal bands,(which sound nothing compared to todays metal) were The yardbirds and The who. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960s_in_heavy_metal_music <---check this page out.

Although IMO metal wasn't really beginning to take it's shape until Zepellin and Sabbath.

But listening to the Yardbirds (First big band for Clapton, Page and Beck) you can hear that phsycadelic bluesy sound which seventies bands took on and reformed.

Soooooo......what do you guyz think?
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
I think this is the wrong forum.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
It so happened that Frank Anthony Iommi lost his fingertips in a steel-mill accident. Geezer Butler suggested that Earth write scary music. Iommi struck that fateful chord to start Black Sabbath. Metal was born. The end.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by And2001PT

omg i haet u >.<
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Are you suggesting that Sabbath and Zeppelin had similar sounds to non-metal bands?

Well, I'm kind thinking that way because Black Sabbath doesn't sound like metal does now. =/ If that makes sense.
Quote by RentACar
The birth of metal, was when Tony Iommi cut his fingers off
/Thread

couldn't agree more. black sabbath were monumental to the evolution of metal. as were diamond head
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
yeah, except that it says that korn was started in 1962 and fallout boy in 1964
Quote by Garret.
No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our life are made.

Destiny is made known silently.
Quote by RentACar
The birth of metal, was when Tony Iommi cut his fingers off
/Thread

He didn't, a machine press he was using did. He went home that night and stayed up all night making fingertips out of wood or metal, I don't remember which.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
It so happened that Frank Anthony Iommi lost his fingertips in a steel-mill accident. Geezer Butler suggested that Earth write scary music. Iommi struck that fateful chord to start Black Sabbath. Metal was born. The end.

LIES!!!!!

It was Geezer who first hummed the riff of Black Sabbath! As always them guitarist keepin' us brotha bassists down!

Edit:

Here's a quote from an interview:

How involved were you with the songwriting in Sabbath ?

I probably wrote 95% of them. Black Sabbath was written on bass: I just walked into the studio and went, "bah, bah, bah" (Hums riff to "Black Sabbath") and everybody joined in and we just did it. However long the song is was how long it took us to write it. So most of the stuff was just done from jams. Like "NIB" just started with me doing the bass riff and everybody joined in. In those days we didn' t have tape recorders or anything and nobody would write stuff at home and bring it to the studio. We just used to go to the studio and jam for two or three hours and see what came out.

Source
Last edited by Lendorav at Sep 3, 2007,
Kanye West created Metal.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
I think Blue Cheer don't get mentioned enough.

yea, and budgie too
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by darkstar2466

Yep that's what I was going to say.That's the definate answer.Black Sabbath created metal.

Thread finished
Quote by Henry Polfave
Kanye West created Metal.

As well as Ska and Jazz? Damn that guys good.
Totally agree. Black Sabbath created heavy metal. Geezer Butler may have written most material but Black Sabbath IS Tony Iommi.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by darkstar2466
He didn't, a machine press he was using did. He went home that night and stayed up all night making fingertips out of wood or metal, I don't remember which.

Yeah, but he was using it, therefore he produced the action that cut his fingers off. But I didn't mean he did it on purpose, it was an accident.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
I think Blue Cheer don't get mentioned enough.

They did a lot for the sound, IMO, and could really be considered the first metal band.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20