Soo, I've been looking into some used mesa/boogies.
I've got my eyes on a studio .22 (without graphic eq), but unless I can get the price down a bit, it's not that great a deal..

I've also seen a dc-3 at an ok price (and a .50+ caliber, and a dc-5). But I'm thinking that 50 watts is probably a "little" too much for bedroom practice?..

I play a little bit of everything, so a good clean channel is quite important, but also versatality..
Any thoughts on DC-3 vs .22 studio?

(any other tube combo suggestions in the same pricerange are welcome.
Btw, I'm not in the US nor the UK so I can't give you a specific price, the prices are too different.)
I r Pirate!
Quote by TehJermie
50 watts will suck in the bedroom. youll never have it above one.

I have a 100watt boogie F-100 stack in my bedroom, the volume is pretty controllable.

Both amps are similar from what I've heard.

You might want to look into a Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I haven't seen any of the F series amps over here.. (And the express series is waayy too expensive..)
I r Pirate!
Quote by duke_lion
I haven't seen any of the F series amps over here.. (And the express series is waayy too expensive..)

Express series replaced the F series. The F series tend to go for about $600-$900 on ebay.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The Caliber amps are amazing amps, but the GEQ really makes the amp. Without it, they're just "eh." If you snip the resistor on the output level on the DCs, the bedroom volume tones are great. Be wary that the DC-3 is on 4 EL84s, and the DC-5 and DC-10 are on two 6L6s. The tone will vary. Go play them, they're great amps.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I have a 100watt boogie F-100 stack in my bedroom, the volume is pretty controllable.

Both amps are similar from what I've heard.

You might want to look into a Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo as well.

i have a 75 watt vintage amp. its louder than a ****ing triple rectifier and its only purely clean volume. and that's through a 2x12. add a 4x12 and distortion pedal and its unuseable in the bedroom. i have a 15 watt solid state champ that's too much in the bedroom.
Quote by Serendipity
The Caliber amps are amazing amps, but the GEQ really makes the amp. Without it, they're just "eh." If you snip the resistor on the output level on the DCs, the bedroom volume tones are great. Be wary that the DC-3 is on 4 EL84s, and the DC-5 and DC-10 are on two 6L6s. The tone will vary. Go play them, they're great amps.

hmm.. That makes me lean a little more over to the DCs. The caliber will still be too loud, right?
I r Pirate!
I've only played the Studio .22, so that's all I can comment on. It was a great amp, had pretty good cleans and could also get pretty heavy. However, the one I was using had the graphic EQ.

You can actually get an F-30 combo pretty cheap if you look around. Right now there's an F-50 combo for sale by me for $450 and the head for $550. I'd buy them if I didn't have a deal lined up to buy a blackface dual recto

Also, the Express series isn't at all a good representation of the F series. I don't know how they can replace the Fs with the Express, the Express isn't "hi-gain" at all (imo), whereas the F series are very hi-gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by duke_lion
hmm.. That makes me lean a little more over to the DCs. The caliber will still be too loud, right?

They're all calibers, I don't know which one you're talking about , but they're all fairly loud. Mesa has that tendency. The F series are supposedly very versatile, but I found them to be a bit thin. You might like it, though. Go try one if you get the chance. Hell, there's even a whole thread devoted to the F-Series over at HC. I didn't like the contour on the Fs. The GEQ is so much better.
Quote by TehJermie
i have a 75 watt vintage amp. its louder than a ****ing triple rectifier and its only purely clean volume. and that's through a 2x12. add a 4x12 and distortion pedal and its unuseable in the bedroom. i have a 15 watt solid state champ that's too much in the bedroom.

Most vintage amps are loud.

My friends 12watt Fender cuts through the mix.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio