I'm having some tough times teaching myself to tune the guitar and i tried the 5th fret way but i don't know if it's right (I'm sure it isn't because it sounds like angels are dying). Can someone teach me how to tune correctly via instructions
Train your ears. It might take a while, but it will develop
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
buy a tuner - theyre way more accurate than your ears are going to be, even when developed
5 on E = A
5 on A = D
5 on D = G
4 on G = B
5 on B = e

Also, try playing powerchords on the strings you're tuning and tuning from to make sure they sound right.
Yamaha 503TVL
Yamaha Pacifica
Squier Tele Custom II
Crafter bass
Cube 60
Kustom 2x12
i tried a tuner but it always goes out of tune when i tune the other is there something about that i don't know?

k thanks notoriousdoc and jd44
does the guitar have a floyd rose?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Play the 5th fret and the open string of the out of the tune string. If it clashs, adjust the tuners until the notes sound the same and it sounds like you're only playing one note.
it does not have a floyd rose, k that might be what's wrong i will probably still have problems but you just told me one o the things im doing wrong thanks
when you fret the first note(the string above the one you are tuning) and then strike the string below it, listen for a sound that kind of goes wah wah wah...... That is the sound of being out of tune.

Look up tuning by harmonics, it really helps to here the sound i'm talking about.

After you learn to identify this sound its all about adjusting the tuners until the sound doesn't do the wah wah wah thing any more.
epic7734