Hey guys, I really need your help right now. I bought a Squier Affinity Strat last May for 185$ as my first electric guitar. This week and last week, it's been acting VERY badly at times. A while ago, the guitar started to crackle, buzz, and just not send anything I was playing to the amp. I switched cables, that doesn't seem to work. To get it to work, I wiggled the jack on the cable around until it stopped buzzing. Today, that will not work. Of course, to add to my frustration, I break my B string right after I discover this. And to add to that, whenever I bend a note on the high E string, it makes a "creeeeaaak" sound. (Note: My sounds are still not amplified due to the sh*t I told you about.) To add to that, my warranty is over, so I would probably have to pay lots of money (THAT I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND) on the sh*tty thing just to get it playing again. And to add to that (DEAR GOD) my guitar lessons start in a week and I can't participate in them without my guitar.

Now I ask you:
1. What the hell is happening to the guitar, and is this worth repairing?
2. Should I just buy a new guitar*?
3. If I do repair it, how much is it gonna cost me?

*If so, how should I convince my parents that I should buy a new one, because they probably wont let me until my grades go up.

Thanks SO much for helping me out, telling someone alone has eased most of my frustration.
sounds like a grounding issue. for the buzzing.

and you might want to file down your saddles because of the creaking sound on the E string.

ummm...where did you break your B string? near the saddles or the bridge?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
1) Your input jack is just loose man, chill.

2) if you want.

3) $5 for something you can tighten it with?
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
actually, don't ask why, cause i dont know, the string broke in the middle of the neck, above the fretboard. i know, like wtf.
my squier has done the same lol there just hardcore shiznit guitars
Sounds like a lose connection in the jack, tighten the jack and if that doesn't help its a loose wire in the jack. to fix that remove the jack and if you'll see two wires attached to it, if one of them is half off, get a soldering iron and some rosin-core solder and put the wire back on. As for the string breaking, chances are it was just old. And what type of creaking is the E string making? By the nut, saddle, where your fretting it?
Quote by XibanezedgeX
Sounds like a lose connection in the jack, tighten the jack and if that doesn't help its a loose wire in the jack. to fix that remove the jack and if you'll see two wires attached to it, if one of them is half off, get a soldering iron and some rosin-core solder and put the wire back on. As for the string breaking, chances are it was just old. And what type of creaking is the E string making? By the nut, saddle, where your fretting it?

I have no experience fixing things at all, like NONE. Plus I don't think I have stuff like that lying around. For the creaking, I think it comes from somewhere near the nut.
well if you have NO experience i would suggest to take it to a shop and ask to just hang out and watch them do it.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by third-eye
actually, don't ask why, cause i dont know, the string broke in the middle of the neck, above the fretboard. i know, like wtf.

Dude, you just broke a string; calm down, buy some new ones and re-string the thing.

As for the jack I'd get it seen to by a pro if you don't know what you're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
tighten the jack. not hard, get it setup at the shop, and you dont need a new guitar (yet). i would have suspected it was the cable, but i would tighten the jack. you dont need a pro to do it
The buzzing coming from the amp, it's not that big a deal, I get that too sometimes. I've gotten weird noises just from having the signal cable tangled with other cables. If its all twisted and in knots, just straighten it out. And make sure it doesn't get tangled into close contact with other cables like from distortion pedals and stuff. That creaking can come from two things. The guitar's nut and the guitar's bridge. I'd check the bridge first and see if all your strings aren't too tight. If your B string broke already, and you're high E string is creaking just from bending, they're probably tied in more tightly than needed, and that's easily fixed just by tuning your guitar right. If the sound comes from the nut the string may be rubbing a lot against the notches in the nut, so you should file those just a little bit. But if you're too nervous and afraid it'll wreak the guitar nut, just go see a tech. lol
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp
Last edited by ScruffMcGruff at Sep 3, 2007,