Product Description:
The AD50VT2-XL is part of the NEW VOX Valvetronix XL line, an exciting new range of tube-powered modelling amplifiers that delivers the power and punch that modern rock players require, with a selection of hi-gain sounds that span the entire range of heavy rock music.

Yes! Partly :P
Nope, it's hybrid.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
what is a hybrid?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
generally that means the amp has tube(s) in the pre-amp but is otherwise a solid state amp.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Well, I think it's hybrid. O_o

It's in the stickies....maybe you should go read the page.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Sounds better than solid state, not quiet as good as true tube. Well, what do you expect when you mix the two?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
It is hybrid - I was thinking about buying this amp a while before i got my Fender Blues Jr. (A great tube amp for an amazing price, btw, if you're looking, which it appears you are)
if you need to ask, i dont think you could appreciate the tonal difference...dont get too carried away by the tube hype and just go play what sounds good to you.
carvin sc90
seagull s6

microcube
rivera m60
pod xtl
No, it's not a tube. However, maybe I can make some suggestions.

But first, I need this info:

What are you planning to play?
How much cash do you got?
Quote by FlamingYouth
generally that means the amp has tube(s) in the pre-amp but is otherwise a solid state amp.

a hybrid is any combination of the two. it could have a solid state pre, tube power, party solid state and tube pre and any combination of power, etc.
Quote by FlamingYouth
It is hybrid - I was thinking about buying this amp a while before i got my Fender Blues Jr. (A great tube amp for an amazing price, btw, if you're looking, which it appears you are)

+1 on the Blues Junior

My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
Quote by kazra90

i have a valvetronix, to me, its the best modeling technology, but no, its a hybrid.
but if you do get that amp, check out www.valvetronix.net
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Not all hybrids are $#%@, if they have power tubes but a SS pre then they are probably just as good, better in some instances. If the pre-amp is tube and the power is SS then thats the ****ty end. I'd say 90% of hybrids are the tube pre, SS power [which again is the not so good way].
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
Not all hybrids are $#%@, if they have power tubes but a SS pre then they are probably just as good, better in some instances. If the pre-amp is tube and the power is SS then thats the ****ty end. I'd say 90% of hybrids are the tube pre, SS power [which again is the not so good way].

I found hybrids with tube power section were worse. Mainly cause the pre-amp distortion was really lame, and by the time you turn it up to power tube distortion levels, it already sounded like a mess of solid-state ****
^ the difference between tube pre and solid state pre is negligible. it all comes down to the circuit design. youre full of ****.
no, im not full of ****.

how can someones opinion be full of ****?

Nobodys opinion can even be wrong. It's their own opinion.

I suppose if being an idiot over the net makes you feel tough, go ahead then.
Like i said it depends on what instance you are using the amp for. I'll agree that a solid pre does make for weaker distortion.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.

coffle, i know youre full of ****, because solid state pre amps and tube pre amps are basically no different. they are both harsh and undynamic compared to the tube power section. so much, that 99 out of 100 wouldnt even be able to tell the difference. you obviously got offended by the poster above you comparing the hybrids to tube amps. which must mean youre hung up on the whole tube superiority thing to make yourself feel better(small penis? bad guitar playing?) furthermore, you obviously took personal offense to my comments which is pathetic, considering this is the internet.

why are you letting me get the best of you?
I hate it when people shut down others opinions for no reason.

And see? You tried to shut my opinion down, again.

And guess what smart ass? I use solid state amps at the moment. Maybe 99 out of 100 people that you know can't tell the difference between sounds. Thats only the people you know. In some cases, yes tubes are superior. Did I ever say all the time? All I presented the TS with was my opinion, which I developed over past experience with hybrid amps. And why would I get offended? I think the AD50VT is a great hybrid. I'd buy one myself if I could afford it.

And you haven't got the best of me. All you've proven is you have no respect for peoples thoughts. Good job
respect for peoples thoughts?

when you basically treated the other guy's opinion like it was total horse****? with a very aggressive attitude might i add.

and it's quite true, an overwhelming majority of people, including average people and MUSICIANS would not be able to tell a difference between amp types. and don't pull the "but i own solid state" bull**** either. ive played them all, own them all, and love them all. digital modelling, tube, solid state, hybrid, all of it. so swing, and a miss.

and yeah, you are letting me get the best of you.
How did I treat it like it was horse ****, with an aggressive attitude?

Frenchbread AGREED with me.

Maybe you think an "overwhelming majority of people" can't tell the difference. I never said they couldn't. In my experience, more than 1 in 100 people can tell the different between SS pre-amps and tube pre-amps.

I'd never dream of saying I've played them all. Maybe you have. My experiences with hybrid amps are limited to Marshall AVT, Vox Valvetronix and a Musicman SixtyFive. The AVT was just crap, the Vox was pretty decent. The Musicman had nice cleans, but I couldn't a dirty sound suitable for recording with it, even with a hot plate.

edit: oh yeah, I also played a "MEGA" hybrid amp and a behringer hybrid. They were worse than an MG.
do u think i should go with a peavey valve king or the vox? i want an amp with good distortion for modern metal. and a good amp overall.
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
I play both solid state and straight tube preamps onstage, side by side, A/B switched. I hear a slight difference, the straight tube Fender Super Reverb has a chimey, live or fuller quality I can't quite describe that makes it a better sounding amp than either hybrid or SS into tube. It has a different feel and response. The Peavey MX sitting beside it I used for 10-12 years as my only amp and it sounds great, SS preamp into tube power amp. But something you can't quite put your finger on is missing.

I also have a Peavey Classic made in 1977, the earlier version Classic, that's a similar setup but a different preamp and tube power amp, also a great sounding amp but better preamp section for rock and blues rythym parts with just a bit of breakup. It also has a much better sounding gain channel than the MX, but the MX is the preferred stage amp for the really clean sound it gets. Very similar to Hiwatt sound.

I've played hybrid amps and never did care much for them, the SS power amp just doesn't cut it. Tubes seem to make very little difference in the preamp, and both are missing a slight something...I hear it, it's there, but not sure how to describe it...familiar saying about tube amps for years.

If I had to use one amp only, it would probably have to be the Super Reverb, or get a Twin if more volume is needed, so a straight tube amp. For a metal player, I'd say get a high gain straight tube amp designed with metal in mind and use a distortion pedal, some of the two channel amps might have good enough sound, that's a matter of personal preference. Probably my favorite sound for the heavier cover tunes I do is usually the clean MX and an Ibanez SD 9 distortion pedal, and a lot of the time I still switch to the Super with an overdrive pedal for leads. My main gripe about the newer high gain tube heads I've listened to is lots of hum in the high gain channel(s).

The main thing is to try amps out and listen to them, see what YOU think sounds best. That's what you buy. Go listen to them at live shows, talk to the musicians and find out what they do and don't like about amps you're interested in, same as here. If it's the one YOU think sounds best for what you do, then what kind of pre or power amp it has and my opinion or anyone else's makes little difference. Get what your ears like. That's what I have...finally

And that's my opinion.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by kazra90
do u think i should go with a peavey valve king or the vox? i want an amp with good distortion for modern metal. and a good amp overall.

Neither is designed for metal. Maybe give Roland Cubes a go, or check out some Randall products (both tube and SS) and see what you like. They also have a couple hybrids. I don't buy into the "marketing scheme" thing about them, although a couple undoubtedly are. The Vox amps put that tube in the power section to warm up the tone, and I think they do a nice job. They're not tube amps, but they're not bad. I haven't played them, but maybe their new XL series is worth a shot, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.