Okay, so I know a good amount about guitars, amps, pedals, that type of thing. I have a few and all that. But what I want to do is get into building and modding guitars and pedals ['ll leave amps for some other timee ]

So my question is, where do I start? Should I buy a guitar kit and put it together, to learn how to wire and soulder, take a class, or what? I know how guitars work and whatnot I just don't know how to put them together.

Also I've heard its relatively easy to make say, a boost or fuzz pedal? How easy is it actually?
Last edited by Say Ocean at Sep 3, 2007,
first go to the link in my sig. theres a bunch of stuff there, ill find a solering tutorial in a second
For guitars, get something of a simerlar manner to a strat (most would use a squier or yamaha pacifica) and just practice everything on this, pickup changes, electrical mods, bridge changes, some wood modifications, paint everything.

This gives you practice, but if you want to dive straight in then I assume getting the parts and putting them toghether would be fine.

And for pedals boost or fuzz would be perfect to start you off.
You can get a new Jay Tursner strat copy on ebay for $50. A good first project would be to get that and put in new pickups. If you terribly mess up and destroy the guitar, your only down fifty bucks.
I fixed my friends putput jack for my first project.

Id would reccomend just taking off your pickguard first and getting familiar with seeing your guitar gutted out. After youve done that, completely remove everything out of your guitar and see if you can put it back in ok. If you can, then go for replacing pickups and such.

Edit: Definately do that with a cheap guitar.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by Say Ocean
I know how guitars work and whatnot I just don't know how to put them together.

That's basically a sentence oxymoron. Once you actually learn how to put them together you'll really understand how they work. You might think you know how they work, but once you actually see it you'll understand it differently. It's kind of a can't do one without the other type of thing.

What would I suggest to you though? Start reading, plain and simple. Expand your guitar pea brain (it's not an insult) with knowledge. The only way you're going to learn is to either do it yourself, or observe somebody doing it. Build threads are great for learning a ton of things without actually buying wood and tools. There's a couple of good ones on here, but you'll find a lot better build threads in the Project Guitar forum (3rd link). Here's a couple of great sites.

www.projectguitar.com
www.mimf.com (sign up for the library, there's limitless info in there)
www.projectguitar.ibforums.com
www.stewmac.com (parts)
www.lmii.com (parts)
Making A Strat (used to be a PG thread)

I'm sure you'll find a lot more links reading through the links I provided, but knowledge is power man and you're not going to get very far without it. Read, read, read and THEN build.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Sep 3, 2007,
Radioshack has some decent soldering irons for cheap which'll get the job done. As for building and modding stuff, I'd say jump headfirst, right in, and look at every single resource you can. If you know of a pedal one of your favorite guitarists uses, look at the schematic! Learn all the symbols for resistors, pots, capacitors, the different types of transistors, etc., and learn what they all do. Check out the Pedal Building Thread in s.r.v.'s sig, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I know pretty much everything I know from UG and a few sites like General Guitar Gadgets, Geofex, Runoff Groove, Fuzz Central, and a few of Smallbear's projects that I've looked at.
Soldering is pretty simple, as is wiring. You just need to learn how to read a schematic and what the different components (resistor, capacitor, diode etc) are.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Say Ocean
Ok so heres a question: whats a good choice for a soldering iron? I know nothing about them, so any suggestions?

I have a high quality soldering iron Made in Japan. u know. the MIJ ones lol.

radioshack soldering irons are okay. but not the best. they take a while to heat up, and the handles get real hot too. my friend has the $8 one, and that's not a good choice.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=377
those would be a great choice, but they are indeed pricey.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I wanted to get into this too, I bought the cheapest guitar in a shop with an LFR, with a bad paint job and awful tone.
It's made out of alder so I should be able to get it to sound decent.
I'm starting by shielding it and then installing a killswitch, probably changing the pickups, changing the LFR to some other fr style system, then doing a refinish...
Quote by ECistheBest
I have a high quality soldering iron Made in Japan. u know. the MIJ ones lol.

radioshack soldering irons are okay. but not the best. they take a while to heat up, and the handles get real hot too. my friend has the $8 one, and that's not a good choice.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=377
those would be a great choice, but they are indeed pricey.

I have a $50 Goot 46w pencil and it's the best soldering I've ever tried/used (I've used some expensive soldering stations at TAFE and most of them don't even compare). After turning it on, you only have to wait 10 seconds before the tip is at the correct temperature - it's regulated to 320 degrees C, which is my sweet spot for the best joints.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."