Does anyone have any advice for shredding? Or soloing for that matter too. I'm pretty I have the finger strength & speed for shredding, but most of the itme i just cant make it sound very good. I know shredding is not always supposed to be very melodic, but When i do it, it just doesnt sound like it should. Does anyone else have this problem? What i'm wondering is, does anyone have any tips or advice on this subject, or is it just something that takes a really long time to learn? Also, even any tabs of a riff or lick that sounds really cool would be awesome.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Try this article. I'm also learning how to shred, and trust me, there's no easy way. Practice is the only path to get there, you only need patience.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Its very possible you're not playing on key and just hitting random notes?

Also, are you tremolo picking everything and just moving up and down frets, thats not the way to go.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Invest in a metronome. Start slow, and in time with the metronome. As you get better, get a little faster.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
i know that my personal problem with shredding is that i just can't pick right, i accidentally hit wrong strings here and there. i need to work on my accuracy, maybe you too.
listen to between the buried and me and play their songs...
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Shredding and Solos are two different things.

You can shred during a solo, but not all solos are shredding.

Legato is great, but Shredding just gets to be a head ache after a while.
Quote by E V H 5150
Invest in a metronome. Start slow, and in time with the metronome. As you get better, get a little faster.

+1
Ditto
My Gear:
Cort X-9 w/ Super Distortion+Air Norton, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Wah
make sure you're using your fingers/hands (both left and right) to mute the strings that you aren't fretting, thats probably the biggest source of unwanted noise. and of course start slow with a metronome. You can get good practice with just some simple scales and patterns.