no, not chickens - my set up.

im getting some money, and im gonna get a new set up. i already have one planned.

guitar > Black 13 > Digitech MultiFX > 8 ohm cab.

i have seen effects into cabs without heads before, but i wanna know if its loud enough to b heard with un-miked bass and drums at the same time. where we play, there is no PA, so we're self dependable. i need my set up to be loud enough for like an outdoor festival or bar or something.

can this setup run without using a head?

also, i wanted to know if i do need a head, could i use a Power Amp like used in PAs?
-------Gary Coy Smith---------

Epiphone G-400 1966 RI
Dean ML XM
EHX Big Muff
Epiphone Valve Jr
Guitar Rig 4
Last edited by buddyhimself at Sep 3, 2007,
Yeah, I was about to say, I have seen multi-effects and pedalboards run straight into a PA system, but I have never seen them just run directly into a cab. Gabel is right on this one.
I've run mine through a power amp into a cab. You will need some kind of power amplifier to run a speaker cabinet, without a doubt. An effects unit (multi, some ovedrive/distortion pedals, anything that can drive the front end of an amp) does not put out enough power to drive anything larger than a pair of headphones.
If you don't like lugging around a heavy head, you could always get something like a Crate Powerblock (is that it?) It's a 150w amp head/poweramp thats really small.

Not sure how it sounds though. (pretty cheap though)

EDIT: I think it's been discontinued
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Last edited by Sendrith at Sep 3, 2007,
Quote by Sendrith
If you don't like lugging around a heavy head, you could always get something like a Crate Powerblock (is that it?) It's a 150w amp head/poweramp thats really small.

Not sure how it sounds though. (pretty cheap though)

EDIT: I think it's been discontinued

It's funny you mention that; I just saw a guy saturday using a powerblock. It didn't sound horrible and he was running a multi fx through it.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Tech21 has powered cabs that aren't terribly expensive. They're perfect for using an effects processor without a head.

Edit: In response to the post above mine, the powerblock is actually quite good for use solely as a power amp using the line in on the back. As long as you don't plug anything into the instrument input on the front they're fine.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM