Is it important to be following the excercises outlined in this video closely, or is it okay to be doing them, just not all over the place. For example the one excercise goes

----------------------------5------9----
---------------------5-----------------
--------------6----------6--------------
------7----------7----------------------
----------7----------------------------
--5------------------------------------

then back down the same way (the 9 only once), but then it does it in 7 positions. Should I be doing the excercise all the way through (as in all the positions) or is it okay to be only doing it here? What are the benifits of doing it in the different positions?

pepsi
It's useful to do it in the other positions too, so that you're moving around the neck. You're supposed to move straight from one position to another, to help with your coordination. And playing the exercise lower on the neck is different to playing it higher up, because of the difference in distance between frets.
Yeah man, this exercise is great, I do it everyday. Deffinatly change postions it will help alot. And make sure you do all of the variations. Because I forgot about them untill I watched the dvd again. Make sure you start with down and up with 8th notes 16th notes 16th note triplets and 32nd notes(at a slow speed). So yeah, do it all.
Quote by blue_strat
It's useful to do it in the other positions too, so that you're moving around the neck. You're supposed to move straight from one position to another, to help with your coordination. And playing the exercise lower on the neck is different to playing it higher up, because of the difference in distance between frets.
Couldn't say better!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!