So. After the teacher thread argument, I decided to sit down, on clean tone, and re-evaluate my playing. I looked at my picking hand and saw nothing wrong, however, I tried playing without anchoring, and with my fingers closed into a loose fist, and I must say. It makes picking EXTREMELY easy, even easier than it was before. Now I dont have to even worry if I have the endurance to play a song that has tremolo picking and string skipping 32nd notes at 140 BPM or whatever, and I can definitely feel the difference. The only problem I found is if I don't anchor with my fist closed like that, I have a little bit of trouble palm muting the way I used to, and the palm muting sounds a little weaker, but I am going to work on that.

Also, after staring at my left hand and studying my fingers for a while, during playing, I realized, what DOES help your finger independence increase exponentially (I guess I somehow got it mixed up...?), is not lifting your fingers high off the fretboard, and instead it is lifting up your fingers after you hit a note, to give it that spider feel. I guess the reason I thought it was lifting my fingers high up was because thats what it feels like, but upon slowing down and looking at my fingers, I see that my fingers are actually close to the fretboard. My mistake .

Anyways, just wanted to say sorry for the hassle, for the arguing and crap. If anyone other than those 3 reads this, just keep in mind what I said, and try to look at your own playing to realize mistakes that you didn't even feel/know was there. I am pretty confident that by the end of the year my playing will be cleaner than it ever was before, and thats one goal less that I have to worry about

I'm glad you have been enlightened. That Freepower knows what he's talking about, as do the rest (If I say one more good thing about Freepower, people are gunna begin to think we've got somethin' goin' on).
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Yeah, you must've had a hard time with the thread. Even though they were right, its pretty good of you to apologize. Thats what true men do. That's... manly . But yeah. Oh, also, could you post some pictures of 'before picking hand' and 'after picking hand'?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Sep 3, 2007,
Hmm really? I pick like the before. I'll try the after.

Thanks man!

DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
No problem dude! I picked like the before pic because my palm muting was completely in control, but sometimes my hand would tense up even if the riffs were easy, but now the problem is muting good while picking easily, so I guess I have to work a few kinks out before I really benefit from it.
Even though I don't anchor, does your hand have to be balled into a fist?
Quote by Kensai
But they have to be sarcastic or something... or just messing around.

Surely people this dumb must've failed to breathe a long time ago.
Quote by Freepower
I'm pleased, damn pleased.

I'm glad the time of tribulations is past, and the future of your increasingly better playing still to come!

Seriously, pleased to have helped.

QFT.
I pick like the "After". You have to watch out it doesn't crimp into a fist. I started
out like "Before" which you can still do without anchoring. It might be easier to
keep that relaxed. And I often just switch between the two which can help
identify a tension that may be in one, but not the other.
Last edited by edg at Sep 5, 2007,
It kind of looks like you're anchoring your wrist on the bridge, or is that just for muting purposes? Looking forward to hearing more of your playing.
Quote by bigmanwithanaxe
It kind of looks like you're anchoring your wrist on the bridge, or is that just for muting purposes? Looking forward to hearing more of your playing.

Because nowadays I almost always play with distortion, I usually palm mute everything I play, the question is, how much should I mute
i used to do the before as well. now my hand is open (except for the pointer and thumb of course) with the slight natural curvature of a hand at rest. regardless, i recommend continuing to practice in the unanchored method you find most comfortable and tension free and hope you continue in a direction towards better playing.
Yeah I anchor for complex palm mutes with loads of string skipping.

But yeah I have problems with lifting my fingers too high (well just the pinky). But as soon I play fast the problem erases it self. so I dont' really know why i can't seem to do that when I play slow.