Hello UG community, I'm looking for a good beginner multi-effects pedal no more than 200$ with USB connectivity. I am stuck between the DigitechR350 (sp?) and the Zoom G2.1u. I have a Mexican Stratocaster and I'm looking for something that will improve the sound of my pinch harmonics, give me that ballsy rhythm distortion to vintage crunch to searing lead tones, blues, enchanting clean intros, funky wah and everything in between, but mainly just something to satisfy me until I'm a pro. No bashing but since I'm a beginner I'm running the guitar through a 15w Frontman Reverb so the sound isn't the best. From scanning reviews and specs of the Digitech it seems like it has more effects but some people don't like the quality. From listening to videos on YouTube and internet sound clips they sound almost the same. Also I like the interface on the Digitech a lot better. Some people also complain about the sound of the g2.1u. Now I'm looking for opinions from experienced guitarists, not the newbs on harmony central that have claimed to be playing for 38 years.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text...
EDIT: P.S.S. Which has a better noise gate?
Last edited by Hellfire999 at Sep 3, 2007,
Id say the Digitech. more ppl like that over the Zoom. And theres a big board for the Digitech with user patches.
well, out of those, id say digitech. it is a good way for a beginner to get used to what effects can do.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by Hellfire999
But which sounds better?

what do you mean? between the 250-350, or zoom?
id that that depends on your budget. ive played a rp200a (the old kind) and it was ok,but ive also played my friend zoom, and im pretty sure the digitech would be better.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I meant which out of those 3...EDIT: Hmm, the Zoom G2.1u has a 96khz processor while the digitech has a 44khz processor but they are both 24bit...
Last edited by Hellfire999 at Sep 3, 2007,
I used to use a few zoom pedals and I now laugh when I see them. They're great value, but shoddy quality.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Well i use an RP250, and with my Micro Cube, it was worth every penny. It also has a built-in drum machine you can play with. I really suggest it if you wanna make the best out of a ****ty amp.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Try the Korg AX3G. Pro effects. Bought when I was a so called "N00b" and the effects still fool me as if they were all standalone pedals. And It's only 70$. My only concern is that the distortion may be flawed after a year or so. But I put it up against my friend's RP250 and it blew the RP out of the water. The zoom is good too. Thee's also an upgrade of the AX3G with a wah/volume pedal. for like 15$
I might go with the rp350, the Korg demo clips sound really horrible to me, how is the distortion on the rp350 with some tweaking with X-Edit?
I've always found the digitech multis to sound terrible. I had an older zoom and it still sucked, but I liked it more than the digitech RPs. I'd go for the G2 personally.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Friend of mine just picked up a used Boss me 33 for $75. It sounds better then my RP 300a.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by RentACar
Try the Korg AX3G. Pro effects. Bought when I was a so called "N00b" and the effects still fool me as if they were all standalone pedals. And It's only 70$. My only concern is that the distortion may be flawed after a year or so. But I put it up against my friend's RP250 and it blew the RP out of the water. The zoom is good too. Thee's also an upgrade of the AX3G with a wah/volume pedal. for like 15$
The AX3G is $50 and the AX5G is $70. They are good units tonewise. The pedal on the AX5G is flawed but workable. They are a great deal on a budget and the AX3G makes a good individual pedal when making a pedal board (delay, chorus, reverb, etc...).

However, cheap comes with a price. There is no text readout except a couple of numbers and there is no USB for software configuration. Havin a text readout is essential when you have a bunch of patches configured. And software configuration is nice so you don't lose them.