so my friend bought an LTD M-50 guitar just so he could mess around with different tunings and put on .12 gauge strings and started using drop A# tuning. He told me that i should do the same since its such a cheap guitar, but when i went to my local music store to do the same they said that there was no way i could put .12 gauge strings on that guitar unless i wanted to make a lot of modifications to the nut/ saddle and it would cost an extra 200 bucks? does anyone know anything about this? should i go ahead and do it w/out modifications or do i have to spend the extra to do it?
i put .11s on a acoustic and it worked fine but i aint messing with my trem system
Dammit, no one cares if you're the first to comment!
I had put .13-.17-.26-.36.-.44-.56 on my guitar without messing around with the nut or anything, and it worked well for my low tunings and even for a standard tuning, although it was very hard to bend. i just changed to a lighter gauge, and i had lost all of my action. the strings had worn down the nut an incredible amount and every string buzzed like crazy. it was terrible, i had to raise my tailpiece a half inch just to regain the action back. Fortunately, the action is a lot better for my style of playing. in my opinion, if you are gonna use lower tunings, get a baritone guitar, 7 string guitar, or if you cant afford anything (and i do not recommend this) just leave it at the heavy gauge until you can afford to fix the nut.
Quote by fretboard88
I had put .13-.17-.26-.36.-.44-.56 on my guitar without messing around with the nut or anything, and it worked well for my low tunings and even for a standard tuning, although it was very hard to bend. i just changed to a lighter gauge, and i had lost all of my action. the strings had worn down the nut an incredible amount and every string buzzed like crazy. it was terrible, i had to raise my tailpiece a half inch just to regain the action back. Fortunately, the action is a lot better for my style of playing. in my opinion, if you are gonna use lower tunings, get a baritone guitar, 7 string guitar, or if you cant afford anything (and i do not recommend this) just leave it at the heavy gauge until you can afford to fix the nut.

yeah i'm on an extremely low budget. i was just looking at this guitar to use maybe once or twice a week with a band that uses this tuning and not for anything else. so it would work to buy this guitar
and put on 12's, tune to drop A# and just never use it for any other tuning?
I don't know about that guitar but im sure in the long run it won't be good. You should save your money for a better guitar, that is, if you can convince your friend to use a higher tuning until then.
Quote by Manimosity
I don't know about that guitar but im sure in the long run it won't be good. You should save your money for a better guitar, that is, if you can convince your friend to use a higher tuning until then.

do you know of any guitars that are better but still in the under 400 price range? or should i try for a 7 string?