Hey. So to say it quickly i'm looking to find what equipment will give me that metallica sound to my guitar as heard in songs like "One" and "Master of Puppets." like what kind of pedal could i get? i'm looking to spend less than $100. i have a fender standard stratocaster (yeah not the best metallica guitar lol) and a crappy peavey rage 158 amp which was my brothers. can i just get a pedal and mess with that or do i have to get a new decent amp? and how much will it cost me?
MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS!!
dude, youre asking to get a tone based on mesa stacks and emg guitars with 100 bucks, a strat, and a practice amp?

youd probably need a new amp and also check out the ultimate setiings thread.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

well what kind of amp do you recommend? dont worry about price then and like what all do i need to get set?
You're not going to with that gear.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
well, ive heard (but i havent played it, so i wouldnt fully know) the best practice amp for metal is a roland cube, but also, youd likely need a humbucker.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

I'd say either a Mesa boogie or a Marshall, or at least something that can pull off a convincing imitation. I have a Vox AD50vt and it is pretty good for that kind of sound, about $400. The other thing you NEED is a guitar with humbuckers in it. Metallica uses super high output EMGs in thier guitars, so you'll need humbuckers that are very hot.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
a) Humbucker
b) Scooped Mids
c) Hi-Gain
d) Noise compressor
e) Heavy palm muting.

You also need a new amp, but then again... for Metallica, your setups dead
the roland cubes are good practice amps, we have them at college to rent out
they have a rectifier setting which will get you somewhere near the sound

i think its the 30w version (not sure, check it out first)

you're hard pushed though
metallicas rig costs a fortune
try this, get a boss distortion pedal. turn the tone and volume up all the way on your guitar, using the middle and bridge pickups, then boost the highs and lows on your amp and cut the mids. turn up the drive on the pedal.
k well it was my dad's guitar and like all my stuff is second hand and like i've been playing on that so i've been thinking about getting my own set up. so like what guitars and what amps do you reccommend and ball park estimate at cost? sorry, thats what i should have posted in the first place
well, usually the roland cube is the standard cheap metal practice amp, and you probably be good with most any humbuckered guitar.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Ouch...
ESP GUitar with EMG's (I know EMG;s are overrated, but its a MEtallica tone after all)
Marshall JCM 800
Marshall 1960A Cabinet
Line 6 PodXT Live

Yeah... thats a good $2500 AT THE VERY LEAST!
Then again, you could pick up a low end Ibanez, a Roland Cube 30, and be somewhat close to any metal tone for around $500, but its more of an eh/beginner setup
Best idea 5150 combo good for bedroom stuff, band stuff, and gigging. As for a guitar any heavy bodied mahogany guitar with decent humbuckers will do the trick probably need a noise gate as well. All in all probably looking at 1200 usd. 500 for the amp 500 for a decent guitar plus 100 for the noise gate. plus whatever else you might need cables etc
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I get almost a clone of the Master of Puppets tone on my RFX120, and I all do is play one of the songs on Master of Puppets and play in standard tuning, and NOT scoop my mids. My amp continues to shock me with how many tones I can get out of it.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Well, considering you can spend less than 100$, my solution will be a getting a cheap pedal that give you enough gain to play metallica and a cheap pickup (stacked humbucker) to get rid of the hum of single coils pup.

My recomendation will be
Danelectro Fab Metal pedal (15$) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-D3-FAB-Metal-Effect-Pedal?sku=151849

Musicians Performer Scorcher (30$) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Duncan-Performer-Scorcher-Pickup?sku=300136

Or save 25$ more and get a Roland Microcube. This last one will be your best choice IMO.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Not to wreck you mood.

Its not gonna happen with that gear and its gonna cost more than $100. Practice your chops and save your money. Be sure to spend most of it on an amp.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude